GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Dragon »

George originally looked like an actual mix breed between Cross and Ben at first... but was changed some chapters later :l sad.

ImageImage
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:24 am Image
George originally looked like an actual mix breed between Cross and Ben at first... but was changed some chapters later :l sad.
I never noticed this, omg. Why didn't you keep him Yoshi?! :<
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Raki wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 am
Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:24 am Image
I never noticed this, omg. Why didn't you keep him Yoshi?! :<
Right?
What's weirder is that all the kids are labeled as
guys as pups, but we know Minnie exists...lol another change. just to make her a damsel who couldnt be saved :tfw_aokabuto2:

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 am What's weirder is that all the kids are labeled as
guys as pups, but we know Minnie exists...lol another change. just to make her a damsel who couldnt be saved :tfw_aokabuto2:
To be fair, it is a fairly minor detail (iirc they're called "boys" only once or twice) and there was a ten-year gap between GNG and GDW. I think it's fair enough for Yoshi to forget about making them all male or change his mind about it after such a long time.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

In the first panel the white puppy even has a darker nose.
Here's a theory: the white one IS Ben's son, but he died as puppies often die, and Cross adopted George from someone else and only she knew he's not her real son!
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kaiken wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:27 am In the first panel the white puppy even has a darker nose.
Here's a theory: the white one IS Ben's son, but he died as puppies often die, and Cross adopted George from someone else and only she knew he's not her real son!
I like that theory! it could be one of her sons in her older litter. He does strangely have freckles that no one between these two have :tfw_bella1:

ImageImage
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Kaiken wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:27 am In the first panel the white puppy even has a darker nose.
I like that theory! it could be one of her sons in her older litter. He does strangely have freckles that no one between these two have :tfw_bella1:
Thanks! It can't be her previous litter, because they are the same age as Gin, and we see George in wolf arc quite a few times (and he's a young puppy, like Ken, not 2 years old young adult :D), so it must come from somewhere else.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kaiken wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:39 pm
Dragon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Thanks! It can't be her previous litter, because they are the same age as Gin, and we see George in wolf arc quite a few times (and he's a young puppy, like Ken, not 2 years old young adult :D), so it must come from somewhere else.
Ohhh dang youre right. 0_0!

ImageImage
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Maybe George is Cross and Unsai's baby? :tfw_aokabuto1:

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Raki wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:34 am Maybe George is Cross and Unsai's baby? :tfw_aokabuto1:
He sure looks more like Cross and Unsai than Cross and Ben, yea! But that would mean he'd have to be born in the same time as Ken and the other two.
He could be Unsai's and Cross' daughter's son, making him her grandson!
Favorites:
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I've an question, we know that japenese kanjis have meanings. What does Ginga means?

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Raki wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:41 am I've an question, we know that japenese kanjis have meanings. What does Ginga means?
Ginga is written as 銀牙, which means "silver fang".

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

OK, there is one thing I am curious about, since I got a little confused about this after I started reading GDWO yesterday. Is the battouga something that you inherit, or is it something that everyone can learn, and the bearhound family just knows how to do it instantly because of instincts?
Have a nice day!
Tenrou24
Potential
Potential

Post by Tenrou24 »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:56 pm OK, there is one thing I am curious about, since I got a little confused about this after I started reading GDWO yesterday. Is the battouga something that you inherit, or is it something that everyone can learn, and the bearhound family just knows how to do it instantly because of instincts?
Thats pretty much it, yeah. Bearhounds seem to have to be taught how to do it properly (Tesshin taught Weed in GDW), but it can come as a kind of insinctual thing (GDW Anime ep 1.) Only bearhounds can learn to do the technique correctly, anyone else who uses it uses a downgraded, incomplete version. (Tesshin in GDW, those dogs he taught in GDWO.)

Have we ever seen Orion use the Battouga? I honestly can't remember if we have.
Ex-staff member of the now closed Silver Fang Fanhouse. If you want any old media from it, please send a pm.

DVT Survivor ♥

Typesetter for GDW Volumes 21-23 https://www.gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=4869
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Tenrou24 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:07 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:56 pm OK, there is one thing I am curious about, since I got a little confused about this after I started reading GDWO yesterday. Is the battouga something that you inherit, or is it something that everyone can learn, and the bearhound family just knows how to do it instantly because of instincts?
Thats pretty much it, yeah. Bearhounds seem to have to be taught how to do it properly (Tesshin taught Weed in GDW), but it can come as a kind of insinctual thing (GDW Anime ep 1.) Only bearhounds can learn to do the technique correctly, anyone else who uses it uses a downgraded, incomplete version. (Tesshin in GDW, those dogs he taught in GDWO.)

-that and wolves also can use Battounga perfectly.
-Orion has used Battounga a lot of times in second half of GDWO.
Favorites:
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Thank you for clarifying/explaining this:)
Have a nice day!
Tenrou24
Potential
Potential

Post by Tenrou24 »

Kaiken wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 pm

-that and wolves also can use Battounga perfectly.
-Orion has used Battounga a lot of times in second half of GDWO.
Ah yeah, I forgot about the wolves.

I'm not so familiar with GDWO so that's why I wasn't sure!
Ex-staff member of the now closed Silver Fang Fanhouse. If you want any old media from it, please send a pm.

DVT Survivor ♥

Typesetter for GDW Volumes 21-23 https://www.gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=4869
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I now have a question about Two-barrel Shige, Shige's son and his friend that was killed by Akakabuto's grown cub.

With the now official translation into English. Shige's son is stated as such in Meteor Gin absolutly. But now when reading the official translation, it seems that this son is the son of Shige's friend. Also that Shige was just said as "Shige, the hunter with a repeater" instead of "Two-barrel Shige". This makes me a bit confused. Anyone can help me clear this up? What does the Finnish manga say as well?
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Tora wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am I now have a question about Two-barrel Shige, Shige's son and his friend that was killed by Akakabuto's grown cub.

With the now official translation into English. Shige's son is stated as such in Meteor Gin absolutly. But now when reading the official translation, it seems that this son is the son of Shige's friend. Also that Shige was just said as "Shige, the hunter with a repeater" instead of "Two-barrel Shige". This makes me a bit confused. Anyone can help me clear this up? What does the Finnish manga say as well?
Shige says this in the Finnish version: "My friend is still at the cottage. Don't worry about me...my friend has his son with him" (that last sentence uses the word "poika", which can be translated either as "boy" or "son", but later the man in question screams "father" when the other guy is killed by Akakabuto's cub)
Also he's called "Kaksipiippu-Shige" in the Finnish translation, which translates to "Two-barrel Shige".
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Like Yamadora said, the son screams "Father!" when the other guy gets his head sliced open in the shack, so presumably he's the son of that man, not Shige. Shige refers to the son as "segare" (せがれ), which, depending on context, can either be used as a humble way of saying "my son" or a young person in general.

As for Shige's nickname, in the original Japanese Gohei calls him "Tateniren no Shige" (縦二連の重), with a helpful footnote explaining that "tateniren" is a type of rifle with two barrels, with one barrel sitting on top of the other. Going by Google, a repeater rifle is very similar (at least visually) so translating "tateniren" as "repeater" is fair enough.

I'd say both the Finnish and English translations are perfectly acceptable, though personally I prefer the former because it sounds more like an actual nickname.

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”