Best/Well developed Ginga Villain?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Adams Angel
Upholder
Upholder

Best/Well developed Ginga Villain?

Post by Adams Angel »

Not exactly your favorite villain, but what Villain do you think is the best or most well developed? This is kinda hard for me to pick as I was gonna say Monsoon, but I feel like Kaibutsu/P4 was a well developed villain even though he had a short role in the series.
:sparkles: Oh, uh, ugly people? :sparkles:
Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

Re: Best/Well developed Ginga Villain?

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

Hm.. I guess I would say Kaibutsu too.
(also screw Jerome's "If you're a dog, you must deal with what the humans do to you" crap..)
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

I'd say Masamune is the most well developed
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

I haven’t read every Ginga story, but for me Kaibutsu stands out. The minor villains, like Sniper, don’t seem to have very much backstory or hints as to why their goals are what they are, though he does have good presence. Monsoon, whereas I do like him and his character, is kind of hyperbolic and without too much emotion, except at the end. I feel like Kaibutsu gets a decent chunk of time for his arc, they foreshadow him and build up his threat well, you really get to understand why his actions and wants (even if they’re horrible actions, also I don’t think a villain needs a tragic backstory to be a good villain, just good presence) and his history with fan favourite character Jerome lend him some major props too.

On a tangent, I also think Jerome’s “you have to do what humans say/allow humans to do whatever they want to you” is so horrible, it depresses me to hear that kind of sentiment from a heroic character. Though it’s good Jerome is flawed, I would hope that any of the other characters had said “that doesn’t sound right” or “just because someone is your master or elder doesn’t mean you suffer their abuse”. I wonder if that sort of thinking (Yoshis writing is so consistent, even in the current series Sasuke is verbally battered by ghost-GB that he should sacrifice himself and take out enemies, to make it worthwhile…your life is worth more than your death!) is influenced by the social hierarchy of Yoshis youth, where elders or masters have complete authority and if they hit you or abuse you, that’s just life.
:akame:
Known as ep or eraserplains, active on Bluesky and Tumblr
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I do agree with Kaibutsu but also would give a shout-out to Blue, for the short time he had, going from a dog full of hatred because he got no love in his life to then saving Weed's life was quite touching.
Also Akamakairi and his brothers too.

I used to think Sniper was a good developed villain in GDW but recently, I've changed my mind on that because overall, it did not look like he accomplished much when you compare him to Hougen or even Kamakiri
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”