Problems in Ginga

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Adams Angel
Upholder
Upholder

Problems in Ginga

Post by Adams Angel »

I'm writing something for Ginga and need some help with it! I figured you guys would be able to help me lmao. :derpgin:

What do you think is the biggest problem in Ginga? What could be done to fix this problem?
:sparkles: Oh, uh, ugly people? :sparkles:
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Re: Problems in Ginga

Post by LIBRAKIND »

I feel like the most commonly mentioned issues with Ginga would probably be best fixed if the series had a complete reboot:
- too many characters (cutting down or just straight up combine characters to fill the same roles)
- females characters being garbage/non-existent (just ... make better female characters with out the misogyny)
- running for too long (not sure where the cutoff of could be since I haven't gotten too far in the manga. But I know the character decay and wacky storylines probably wouldn't have happened if the series didn't run as long as it did)
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

One problem that I find annoying in Ginga is its excessive/unnecessary narration. The amount of it that was used was fine when it was telling a story or providing context... But then it got to a point in GDW when it started describing actions. We can clearly see the actions illustrated before our eyes. We don't need them described to us.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

definitely the too many characters problem - it means alot of them either get forgotten about or some get way too much focus than others that need time to shine. There's also a clear problem where I think the author favours certain characters over others (mainly the oldies) and in turn, the others look bad as a result. And he makes them out to be more great any they actually are.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
skinklegs
Comrade
Comrade

Post by skinklegs »

I think a lot of the problems can be boiled down to the series going on for way too long: character bloat, repetitive plotlines, wonky storytelling and worldbuilding.

A lot of characters are redundant and unnecessary; characters keep vanishing, seemingly forgotten about, or just hang out in the background as cardboard cutouts, maybe with a line here and there. Ginga seems to be a very "either you die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" kind of series. So many of the fan favorites in Ginga are dead, and I think they are so iconic because they are dead. Riki, Akatora, John, Benizakura—they all went out in a blaze of glory before they were allowed to fade into irrelevancy, or worse, have their characters butchered until they're unrecognizable like what happened to Kyoshiro.

Meanwhile, the reluctance to kill off other old fan favorites like Gin, Akame, Jerome—it doesn't leave room for the swathes of new characters introduced in every new series to really shine.

All in all I feel like the story Takahashi set out to tell has been told, and everything after that has just been kind of...messy. Obviously earlier Ginga still had its problems—flat characters and sexism to name a couple—but at least it felt fresh and interesting. Now it feels tired, like I've seen it all already two or three times and all I really want is a satisfying end, finally, after 40 years.
Adams Angel
Upholder
Upholder

Post by Adams Angel »

Gingaddict wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:26 am definitely the too many characters problem - it means alot of them either get forgotten about or some get way too much focus than others that need time to shine. There's also a clear problem where I think the author favours certain characters over others (mainly the oldies) and in turn, the others look bad as a result. And he makes them out to be more great any they actually are.
*cough cough* Akame *cough*
:sparkles: Oh, uh, ugly people? :sparkles:
Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

Hmm...

Well, there's the sexism, an obvious one lol "THERes No SUch ThING aS a StRONg FeMAle" :gdwcross:
Bite me, Cross.

Then there's gary stues, Ginga kinda has a problem with them here and there (Orion, Weed..)

And also,
Too many characters (Either Forgotten or written badly) and characters that change their personality (Kyou to Jyou)
Oh and Toxic Masculinity..

"MEn Don'T CrY"
:tama:
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”