Military terms in Ginga

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Military terms in Ginga

Post by Tora »

Okay, I would like to look more into the military terms in Ginga, as they do refer their packs as armies after all.

The ones I've got on tope of my head:
  • Soudaishou 総大将 -> Supreme Commander
  • Taishou 大将 -> commander
  • Shireikan 司令官 -> commandant
  • Shoutai 小隊 -> platoon
  • Shoutaichou 小隊長 -> platoon leader
  • Gunyouken 軍用犬 -> dogs in warfare/war dogs
  • Gensui 元帥 -> (field) marchal
  • Shousa 少佐 -> major
  • Choui 中尉 -> lieutenant
  • Gunsou 軍曹 -> sergeant
  • Gochou 伍長 -> corporal
  • Shoui 少尉 -> sub lieutenant
  • Teisatsuhei 偵察兵 - scout

------------------

Anyone else seen any more? ^^
Last edited by Tora on Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Re: Military terms in Ginga

Post by Arano »

I haven't seen any but it would be great to compile a list of characters that have these titles as I haven't a clue in the most recent stories! I wonder if even Takahashi keeps track of his characters ranks...

Gensui is just Marshal btw. Who has this rank in Ginga? Curious of this as it is an honorary rank now but used to mean the same as Supreme Commander in Ginga context:

"The term gensui, which was used for both the Imperial Japanese Army and the Imperial Japanese Navy, was at first a rank held by Saigō Takamori as the Commander of the Armies (陸軍元帥 Rikugun-gensui*) in 1872. However, in May 1873 Saigō was "demoted" to general, with gensui thereafter no longer a rank as such, but a largely honorific title awarded for extremely meritorious service to the Emperor"

陸軍元帥 Rikugun-gensui*, shortened to just Gensui = Marshal

Other Gensui titles:
元帥陸軍大将 Gensui Rikugun-taishō = Field Marshal / Highest title in the pre-war Imperial Japanese military
大元帥 Dai-gensui = Grand Marshal / Commander-in-chief of the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy (The Emperor)
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Arano wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:46 pm Gensui is just Marshal btw. Who has this rank in Ginga?
Maxim and Lydia's father is the only one who comes to my mind (though I admit I haven't really paid that much attention to the military titles in Ginga, so idk if he's the only one...).

Speaking of the Russian dogs, I always found it interesting that they seem to take ranks much more seriously than the Ohu army, what with even the minor dogs seemingly having known ranks. By contrast, the post-GNG Ohu army doesn't seem to use precise ranks that much anymore, with most members just being "officers" or "high-ranking members" in general. I guess it makes sense, what with the Russian dogs clearly taking military hierarchy more seriously than the Ohu dogs do, but I still think it's a nice bit of flavor.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:30 pm
Arano wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:46 pm Gensui is just Marshal btw. Who has this rank in Ginga?
Maxim and Lydia's father is the only one who comes to my mind (though I admit I haven't really paid that much attention to the military titles in Ginga, so idk if he's the only one...).

Speaking of the Russian dogs, I always found it interesting that they seem to take ranks much more seriously than the Ohu army, what with even the minor dogs seemingly having known ranks. By contrast, the post-GNG Ohu army doesn't seem to use precise ranks that much anymore, with most members just being "officers" or "high-ranking members" in general. I guess it makes sense, what with the Russian dogs clearly taking military hierarchy more seriously than the Ohu dogs do, but I still think it's a nice bit of flavor.
Changed the Gensui withe the "field" in brackets. Only Lydia's and Maxim's father, as well as Victor calling himself that

What are they using in Japanese for the officers and high-ranking members?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

In the Finnish translation of GNG, Akame is referred to as "marsalkka" (marshal) by his subordinates. I wonder if this is a localisation change, or if they actually use the military term in the Japanese version as well.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:46 am What are they using in Japanese for the officers and high-ranking members?
They use "kanbu" (幹部) for that.
YamaDora wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:03 pm In the Finnish translation of GNG, Akame is referred to as "marsalkka" (marshal) by his subordinates. I wonder if this is a localisation change, or if they actually use the military term in the Japanese version as well.
In Japanese, Akame as called "sousui" (総帥), which means "commander-in-chief" (though apparently nowadays it can also be used to refer to leaders of organizations in general, not just military ones).

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:23 am
Tora wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:46 am What are they using in Japanese for the officers and high-ranking members?
YamaDora wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:03 pm In the Finnish translation of GNG, Akame is referred to as "marsalkka" (marshal) by his subordinates. I wonder if this is a localisation change, or if they actually use the military term in the Japanese version as well.
In Japanese, Akame as called "sousui" (総帥), which means "commander-in-chief" (though apparently nowadays it can also be used to refer to leaders of organizations in general, not just military ones).
Thank you ^^

In Swedish subs of the anime they say Mäster, like Master, as master of a skill so to say. That in Swedish fits for a ninja leader kind

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

Tora wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:39 pm
Digsu wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:23 am
Thank you ^^

In Swedish subs of the anime they say Mäster, like Master, as master of a skill so to say. That in Swedish fits for a ninja leader kind
Same was in Finnish subs too, "Mestari". "Marsalkka" was in the manga translation.
Ginga forever! <3

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”