SSY special technique list

General discussion of all things related to Yamato the White Fighter (Shiroi Senshi Yamato).
Digsu
Legend
Legend

SSY special technique list

Post by Digsu »

I went through SSY to scan images for the gallery and figured it could be a fun side project to make sort of a quick guide listing all the (named) special moves in the series.

So, welcome to the world of doggy attacks featuring over-the-top names and spinning. Lots and lots of spinning.

(I'm listing the attacks in chronological order, based on when they were first introduced.)

Kaiten Jigoku (回転地獄 "spinning hell")

Yamato's first special attack, and also one if his most commonly used attacks. It's identical to the generic "spin bite" attack that shows up in Ginga from time to time.

-------------------

Touken Gyorai (闘犬魚雷 "fighting dog torpedo")

Originally introduced as Bruiser's signature attack, Yamato learned it as well later in the series. The user either grabs the opponent by the neck or allows them to bite into their own neck, then smashes them headfirst against the fence of the arena.

Red Killer used a variation of this attack where he simply headbutted his opponents, sending them flying against the fence of the arena.

-------------------

Kuuchuu Sappou (空中殺法 "aerial killing technique")

One of Yamato's most frequently used attacks, Kuuchuu Sappou was originally introduced as Big Hunter's signature attack, but Yamato learned it from Habu just before his battle with Big Hunter. As the name suggests, the user attacks the opponent from midair, jumping at them from atop the fence of the arena or whatever higher ground is around if used outside the ring. Likened to being struck repeatedly by the talons of a hawk, the opponent has a hard time counterattacking due to the speed and angle of the attacks.

-------------------

Manjuu Tsubushi (まんじゅう潰し "paw pad crush")

A simple but devastating attack where the user bites down on the opponent's paw, crushing the paw pads. Because the pads are such a weak point, this attack is very painful for the victim and recovering from it can take months. Jumbo, the original user of this attack, also had a variation called Hounyou Manjuu Tsubushi (放尿まんじゅう潰し ), literally "urination paw pad crusher", which involves urinating on the opponent's face to distract them before attacking their paws. (Interestingly, this is one of the few special moves that only shows up a few times, then gets completely forgotten. Personally, I suspect it was shelved because it was simply too overpowered while being relatively uninteresting from a visual standpoint.)

Another interesting thing: I could not for the life of me find any reference to paw pads being called "manjuu" in Japanese; the actual word is "nikukyuu"/"にくきゅう". I have no idea if this is some obscure regional expression or just a case of outdated terminology.

-------------------

Fuusha-nage (風車投げ"windmill throw")

Harimau's signature attack. The opponent is, to put it bluntly, yeeted into next week: this causes damage and stuns them, allowing Harimau to go for a followup attack if the throw on its own isn't enough to knock the opponent out. The throw is either executed by grabbing the opponent and swiftly flinging them or swinging them around first, then throwing them.

-------------------

Jaw Crash (ジョークラッシュ)

Also known as Kumagoroshi (熊ごろし "bear killer"), this attack was originally developed by Fubuki, Yamato's father, in his bear-hunting days. The user charges at the opponent and headbutts them right in the jaw, potentially knocking them down and/or dislocating their jaw, causing them to be unable to continue the battle. Yamato was taught this attack by Zenkichi, Fubuki's former owner, who made him wear a special muzzle during training; the purpose of the muzzle was to increase Yamato's ramming power while simultaneously protecting his own jaw.

The attack was initially presented as being super lethal and Ryou promised Yamato would never use Jaw Crash again after using it to defeat Bruiser, owing to its sheer destructive power, but it eventually got nerfed and became one of Yamato's most common moves.

-------------------

Kiba-ori (牙折り"fang break")

Blackie's signature attack, though Yamato also used it a few times. Using their own fangs, the user breaks one or more of the opponent's canine teeth in one hit. Since a dog's fangs are, naturally, their most important weapons, this attack is devastating if pulled off correctly, usually causing the victim to lose by default and forcing their owner to spend a lot of money on vet bills to get their dog's teeth fixed (Hayate losing two of his teeth to Kiba-ori supposedly cost 120,000 yen - roughly 1230€/1434 USD in today's money).

-------------------

Shi no Dansu (死のダンス"dance of death")

Not an attack per say, but a special "dance" Tosaou would perform to announce that he was about to use a special attack to finish his opponent off. Also known as "finishing dance" (フィニッシュダンス).

-------------------

Kousen Ranbu (空戦乱舞 "air battle wild dance")

One of Tosaou's (supposed) 42 special attacks. The user leaps at the opponent, grabs them by the paw, then twists around in midair, throwing the opponent onto the ground.

-------------------

Joint lock

Ryuu's signature attack. This technique has no official name, being only referred to as a joint lock/kansetsu-waza (関節技). Supposedly a secret technique of Shorinji Kempo, a real-life martial art, the attacker grabs one of the opponent's limbs and shakes it about violently, causing the limb's joints to dislocate and locking it in place. As demonstrated by Ryuu during his battle against Yamato, this can render the opponent completely helpless in a fight; the only way for the victim to regain control of the affected limbs is to have a human "unlock" them, and only other practitioners of Shorinji Kempo know the proper technique to do that.

-------------------

Hissatsu Doumyakujime (必殺動脈じめ "certain-kill artery constriction")

Another one of Tosaou's special moves, though Jumbo also learned how to use it. The user tightly grabs hold of the opponent by the nape of their neck, restricting blood flow to the brain. This can result in loss of consciousness or even death.

-------------------

Jaw Crash-gaeshi (ジョークラッシュ返し"Jaw Crash reversal")

Pete's signature attack. As the name implies, this technique was created specifically to counter Yamato's Jaw Crash: when the opponent charges at the user, the user leaps up and grabs the opponent by the neck, then slams them against the fence of the arena.

-------------------

Kubi-nage (首投げ "neck throw")

One of Taroumaru's special attacks. To borrow Wiktionary's definition of the judo technique it's based on, the user "wraps one arm around his opponent's neck then turns and throws him."

-------------------

Swing Circle (スイングサークル)

Taroumaru's signature attack. The user grabs the opponent by the hind leg, then starts swinging them around in a circle, hence the name. Centrifugal force causes the opponent's blood to rush to their head, causing the capillary veins in their brain to start bursting - although as Yamato demonstrated with Sahara, performing Swing Circle for long enough can cause the opponent's whole head to explode due to the blood buildup.

-------------------

Neck Rolling (ネックローリング)

An attack that was originally developed by Hayate for bear hunting, but Yamato also learned to use it. Aside from having a less confusing name, it's nearly identical to GDW's Neck The Killing, although unlike NTK, Neck Rolling is capable of outright decapitating an opponent instead of just cutting their neck veins.

-------------------

Nose Twist (ノーズツイスト)

Seiran's signature attack. The user forces the opponent on their back, then bites down on their nose and starts twisting it back and forth, culminating in the opponent getting rolled across the arena and slammed against the fence. Because of the violent movements - forceful enough to peel the skin right off the victim's muzzle - this attack is extremely difficult to stop halfway through.

-------------------

Hurricane Smash (ハリケーンスマッシュ)

Burai's signature attack. The user grabs the opponent in midair, then brings them down while spinning around rapidly, stunning them on impact.

-------------------

Killer Cock (キラーコック)

First off, stop laughing :OUT:

Red Killer's signature attack. The user grabs the opponent's tongue, then starts spinning around. The attack ends with the opponent's tongue getting torn out, leading to fatal blood loss, although sometimes the opponent "only" suffers severe damage to their tongue followed by heavy, but not fatal, blood loss.

Although not explicitly stated, the attack's somewhat unfortunate name is presumably a reference to a cock valve (known simply as コック/"cock" in Japanese); similar to how one would twist a valve to make water come out, the attack twists the opponent's tongue to make blood come out. There, now stop laughing dammit, I really mean it this time.

-------------------

Boomerang Sappou (ブーメラン殺法 "boomerang killing technique")

Yes, it's basically the Battouga.

While the Battouga was introduced as the ultimate bear-killing technique, only masterable by true bearhounds, Boomerang Sappou (frequently just called "Boomerang" for short) was inspired by the motion of a boomerang instead. Also unlike the Battouga, learning Boomerang Sappou required Yamato to observe, evade, and catch boomerangs thrown at him while he had several dozen kilos worth of weights strapped to his body. No magical instant mastery courtesy of Bearhound Blood™ here.

As a side note, unlike the other attacks from SSY that have Ginga equivalents, Boomerang Sappou seems to have been created roughly around the same time as the Battouga: from what I can find, the attacks were introduced mere months apart from each other, with the Battouga first being mentioned in March of 1986, while Boomerang Sappou debuted approximately in January or February of the same year (release data for the original Monthly Jump issues isn't exactly easy to dig up). By comparison, Kaiten Jigoku and Neck Rolling were introduced years before their Ginga counterparts.

-------------------

Guillotine Sappou (ギロチン殺法 "guillotine killing technique")

Blue Tiger's signature attack. This attack simply consists of the user biting their opponent's limbs off, something Blue Tiger could do with ease thanks to his owners outfitting him with a special set of metal false teeth. Stronger than any natural teeth and sharpened with a file for maximum damage potential, the metal teeth allowed Blue Tiger to easily snap off his opponent's limbs.

-------------------

Dynamite Crash (ダイナマイトクラッシュ)

Tetsukimen's signature attack. Another simple technique, this one simply consists of the user striking the opponent with a devastating headbutt. Much like his brother Blue Tiger, Tetsukimen used less than legitimate means to give his signature move some extra oomph - namely, he had a large gemstone embedded in his forehead to make his headbutts hit harder. (Though it's probably best not to ask why it didn't just cause him to split his own skull open when headbutting his opponents...)

-------------------

Jet Screw (ジェットスクリュー)

An attack that Yamato created literally on the fly to defeat Tetsukimen. The user leaps into the air, then slams into the opponent while spinning around like a drill.

In addition to attacking, Jet Screw could also be used underwater to quickly propel the user forward.

-------------------

Koushukei (絞首刑, "death by hanging")

Rondeau's signature attack. The user lifts the opponent up by the throat, causing them to suffocate. Because of Rondeau's height, he could lift his opponents so high that their feet wouldn't touch the ground, making them unable to escape.

-------------------

Final Thunder (ファイナルサンダー)

Builder's signature attack. Jumping at the opponent from above, the user starts spinning around like in Boomerang Sappou while making a zig-zagging motion, striking the opponent multiple times upon impact. In fact, the technique was essentially created to be "Boomerang Sappou, but better": unlike Boomerang Sappou, which only hits the target head-on, Final Thunder strikes the opponent from multiple angles, hitting them all over. While it's technically possible to change the angle of Boomerang Sappou mid-flight, being able to constantly tilt back and forth was only possible thanks to Builder's superhuman strength.

-------------------

Drill Smash (ドリルスマッシュ)

Kaiou's signature attack. The user headbutts the opponent while spinning, sending them flying into the fence of the arena. The attack is based on the same idea as Touken Gyorai, but the spinning motion increases the damage taken by the opponent when they hit the fence.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Re: SSY special technique list

Post by Tora »

Thank you Digsu! This is very much helping understanding all the attacks!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I haven't read SSY and had no clue there were so many attacks! Takahashi was creative back then :tfw_sirius3:
Tenrou24
Potential
Potential

Post by Tenrou24 »

I think at some point or another Yoshi reused these in Ginga. Heres some I think he reused;

Touken Gyorai - Similar to when Ben picks up Moss and slams his head into a rock in gng

Kiba-ori - In the anime, Weed used an axe? A big knife??? to smash Thunders teeth in the barn. Though this scene wasn't in the manga, so it could be a lucky coincidence.

Kousen Ranbu - Benizakuras battle with Tsunarashi. Could just be a coincidence again though.

Swing Circle - Gin vs Sniper at Shikokou

Dynamite Crash - Similar to another Benizakura move

Koushukei Koushukei - I'm sure Ben did something similar to this in gng? I think I'm thinking of the manga scene for this. Might not be the case but I swear I've seen it before. Also when Rocket captures Weed, Weed is small enough to just /hang/ from his jaws lol
Ex-staff member of the now closed Silver Fang Fanhouse. If you want any old media from it, please send a pm.

DVT Survivor ♥

Typesetter for GDW Volumes 21-23 https://www.gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=4869
Wisp
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Wisp »

Aaa these all look so fun (+crazy)! I wish I could read SSY!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tenrou24 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:15 pm I think at some point or another Yoshi reused these in Ginga. Heres some I think he reused;
Honestly I feel like a lot of these could just be coincidences.
Tenrou24 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:15 pm Kiba-ori - In the anime, Weed used an axe? A big knife??? to smash Thunders teeth in the barn. Though this scene wasn't in the manga, so it could be a lucky coincidence.
Dogs smashing each other's teeth sometimes shows up in Ginga, like with Gin cutting Black Snake's fangs with his Battouga and Weed smashing Thunder's fangs with a big stick in GDW (it was Lecter who got his teeth smashed with an axe in the anime). What makes Kiba-ori different from a generic "just smash their teeth because that's a canine's main weapon" is the unique way the attack is executed, with the attacker like... placing their own fang against the opponent's fang like a hook and then violently pulling to break the fang. idk it's kind of hard to explain, but the image I posted shows what I mean. :yama1:
Tenrou24 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:15 pm Kousen Ranbu - Benizakuras battle with Tsunarashi. Could just be a coincidence again though.
Didn't happen in the manga so presumably it's just a coincidence.
Tenrou24 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:15 pm Swing Circle - Gin vs Sniper at Shikokou
Again, dogs grabbing one another and spinning them around in battle is nothing unique, but in Ginga, it's always done to either gather momentum (like in the Gin vs Sniper fight) so they can be thrown away/slammed against something or to use them to smack other enemies. Swing Circle is unique in that the point isn't hitting the opponent against anything, but injuring them by forcing blood to rush into their head to cause blood vessels/their whole head to burst.
Tenrou24 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:15 pm Dynamite Crash - Similar to another Benizakura move
That's just a headbutt. What makes Dynamite Crash different from a normal headbutt (which show up in both SSY and Ginga plenty of times) is the gemstone that Tetsukimen had embedded into his forehead to make it extra deadly.
Tenrou24 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:15 pm Koushukei Koushukei - I'm sure Ben did something similar to this in gng? I think I'm thinking of the manga scene for this. Might not be the case but I swear I've seen it before. Also when Rocket captures Weed, Weed is small enough to just /hang/ from his jaws lol
I guess you mean this?

Honestly, I feel like this was just Yoshi giving a special name to a really generic attack - when you're a dog, grabbing your opponent by the throat and holding them in the air like that is probably the best way to strangle them. So it's less a reference and just a generic attack showing up multiple times... Also, unless I'm mistaken, Moss choking Akatora like that in the GNG manga actually predated Koushukei's introduction in SSY! :tfw_sirius3:

Return to “Yamato the White Fighter”