Tiger Stripes

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Miles

Tiger Stripes

Post by Miles »

I'm curious, is there a general consensus among fans when it comes to Gin's "tiger stripes"?

Are they a fur pattern only puppies have, and they outgrow them? Similar to how lion cubs and deer fawns have spots, but lose them as they grow older. Which would explain why the stripes are only visible on Gin when he's very young.

Or should they be ever-present, and they were simply dropped for some other reason? (Perhaps they were forgotten, or it was chosen not to do them to simplify the design, saving time and money.) Checking the manga briefly, they're showing an adult in one panel who seems to have the stripes, thus giving some credibility to this interpretation.

I got curious as I've seen GNG fan art of older Gin both with and without the stripes, so I'm guessing there might be some disagreement among fans.
skinklegs
Friend
Friend

Re: Tiger Stripes

Post by skinklegs »

Brindle doesn't go away when a dog grows up. Realistically it would still be there; I imagine it was dropped bc it was annoying to draw all the time, especially in the anime where the stripes have to line up in every frame. Ugh.
reenarules
Rookie
Rookie

Post by reenarules »

Brindle Akita Inus irl 100% have that type of fur pattern all throughout their lives, so I can safely say the change in design isn't exactly based in reality [especially during later editions when the gray literally becomes blue].

I'd like to say that they simplified the design for budget reasons, it'd make a lot of sense. Alot of artists in the fandom go either way with drawing the designs, with the brindle or without, or even drawing him blue sometimes! Most of the time it's just an artist's interpretation, as far as I know there isn't a design people make a big stink about sticking to.
ImageImageImage
Kirara chibis made by Dragon!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I assume Gin's stripes in the anime were made "invisible" just for time/budget reasons like skinklegs said. He's always been brindle in the manga, regardless of age.

Nara
Potential
Potential

Post by Nara »

Takahashi's brindle for akitas is extremely simplified, most people assume it's shading but he doesn't use that same shading style for other characters.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Yeah, I always just assumed that Gin's and Weed's brindle was just never included due to budget issues (in the animes at least)... but then just got confused when I remember that the kai dogs still got very obvious tiger stripes. :THOT:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Shining Sirius wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:33 am Yeah, I always just assumed that Gin's and Weed's brindle was just never included due to budget issues (in the animes at least)... but then just got confused when I remember that the kai dogs still got very obvious tiger stripes. :THOT:
I assume that's because, in the manga, the Kai dogs do have larger "tiger stripes" on top of their brindle stripes, unlike Gin who just has the brindle stripes.

scot39

Post by scot39 »

Yeah. And the real life Tiger striped akita is more "tigerly"

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”