3. Ben
4. Kurojaki
5. Riki
6. Gin
7. Akame
8. Daisuke
9. Fuji

LEAST FAVORITES
1. Wilson(he tried to kill poor Tesshin!)
2. Sniper
Last edited by Jinja on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User on Ohu Dogs and major Ginga Fan!
~Currently seeking an avatar for my Ohu Dogs character Dagger, picture below.~
Bolty
Potential
Potential

Re: Favorite and Least Favorite GNG Characters

Post by Bolty »

Top Favourites
Riki
Ben
Benizakura
Gin
Kai bros
Cross

Middle
John
Akame
Smith
Bill
Kurojaki
Hakuro
Musashi
Moss

Least favourites
Akakabuto
Mosa
Kisaragi
Hyena
Sniper

:akatora: :ben: :benizakura: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:
frisbee
Recruit
Recruit

Post by frisbee »

Favorites
-Kurojaki
-Benizakura
-Akame
-Jinnai
-Terry
-Hyena
-Kurotora
-Smith
-Great
-Uzuki
-Hakuro
-Musashi
-Riki
-John
-Moss
-The harpoon bear
-Raiga, Sakon, and Ukon (Everything about them is just so cool!!)

Least favorites
-Sniper
-The humans
Vegas and Atlas siggy made by Mako
Terrier
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Terrier »

Faves are Akame, Shiro, John, Ben, Riki, and Smith

Least faves??? Any of the humans, any of the bears, Sniper, Hyena ... Gin got kind of annoying, I think I like him better as an older dude lol
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Finally finished reading the Ginga Nagareboshi Gin manga years behind everybody else. Thank you so much GingaBoard team who put in all your hard work to scan and translate! :heart:
Top Favourites
:riki: :mangariki: :ben: :john: :cross: :moss: :akame: :mangahakuro: :akatora: :benizakura:
:gin: I love him to bits even if he is a cocksure Gary-Stu.
:terry: I'm really glad we got more of Terry's tragic story in the manga. What a great guy. Rest in peace.
:mukonga: I still can't believe Mukonga blocked the Zetsu Tenrou Battouga, the attack that decapitated Akakabuto, by crunching up a skull and spitting it at Gin like watermelon seeds. What a badass!
:thousanddragon: He may only have had a few lines of dialogue and probably less than 15 pages of appearances, but this guy and his namesake trick is amazing.
:gaia: All Hail Emperor Gaia! No, seriously, this wolf may just be the greatest Ginga villain. There were times when his calculating cruelty made my fine hairs prickle. As for his death? He literally had the right side of his cranium carved out and he still wouldn't die. In fact, he just continues to sass his enemies like it's no big deal. What a monster!

Secondary Favourites
:musashi: :oliver: :bemu: (manga)
:gohei: :daisuke: (anime)
:great: :kurojaki: :chibi: :hyakkiga: :pinkdragon: :harpoonbear: :akakabuto: :hakuro: :fuuga: :jaguar: :chutora:

Mixed Opinion
:wilson: Look, I know you had beef with Kurojaki, but would it really have made you feel any better to shake his infant son to death? Also, his existence as a travelling storyteller just feels really shoehorned. Still, after he joins the Ohu army I still respect him as a soldier.
:bill: (manga) Bill, you disappoint me. I thought you were supposed to be a gentleman and yet you allowed Sniper to try and rip the throat out of a child soldier? Just as well you're good at prioritising the ladies and making beds.
:mangabenizakura: I admire your valour, but throwing a recently abused child across a room just because he was too attached to you was pretty damn harsh...
:smith: More of a personal nitpick - I just hate his annoying voice in the anime. The only reason that he isn't under 'Least Favourites' is because I still enjoy his character.
:hyena: Cross leapt off a cliff to save an infant’s life and you immediately call her a ‘moron’ and say that she’s ‘of no help to anyone’ (in the manga)? Dude, if you hadn't redeemed yourself in the end by saving Ben's life I'd tell you to go fuck yourself. You're pretty much the same despicable coward in the anime, except you have the most pointless self-sacrifice death in the Ginga history... and I honestly feel sorry about that.
:kurotora: His bad temper and foolish pride get in the way of me putting him higher on the list.
:gohei: (manga) Yes, in the real world this guy would deserve to be in jail on multiple counts... but, since we're in the anime/mangaverse, I can say that he is an exemplary trainer of bear hounds and a worthy master of Shiro, Riki and Gin.

Least Favourites
:sniper: Way too much like a Saturday morning cartoon villain for my taste; his motives make no sense and he's basically just a greedy, selfish asshole for the sake of it.
:kisaragi: :uzuki: :hazuki: :minazuki: You are terrible people dogs.
Last edited by Shining Sirius on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:25 am, edited 10 times in total.
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

Favorites:
:riki:
:john:
:ben:
:cross:
:akame:
:smith:
:akatora: :kurotora: :chutora:
:great:
:hyena:
:moss:
:terry:
:benizakura:
:bill:
:kisaragi:
:hakuro:
:jinnai:
:kurojaki:
:daisuke:
:hidetoshi:

Least Favorites:
:sniper:
:akakabuto: (My childhood traumas!)
Other bears
Last edited by Findog on Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ginga forever! <3
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

This is super tough....

Favs:
Gin
Riki
The Kai Bros (Akatora is my fav of the trio though)
John
Cross (though I wish her potential hadn't been wasted because she is "female")
Smith
Chibi/Tesshin
Moss
Benizakura
Akame
Kurojaki

I wish I liked the wolves more but I cant say I care for them all too much aside from some designs.... Hyakkiga will always be my fav wolf design.

Least fav:
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Gohei because of his abusive "training" that always made me really uneasy. But like, other aspects of him are alright I guess.
Sandatora
Translator
Translator

Post by Sandatora »

Favorite:
Jinnai
Suiga

Middle:
Ben
Akatora
Riki
Kurojaki
Chutora

Least Favorite:
Kisaragi
Kurotora
John
Gohee Takeda

Icon by VyzWares on Twitter!
🌺 Art topic | Oc generator & Picrew | Art Fight | Toyhouse | Tumblr | Art Tumblr 🌺
Iga

Post by Iga »

Favourites:
:john: - John has always been my favourite Ginga character. I think maybe part of that has to do with the fact that he always stood out. I found GNG to have a bad habit of introducing badass/interesting characters and then just shoving them to the side to be fodder afterwards. But John always had his own character, even when he wasn't in the limelight.
:akame: - I actually didn't care too much about Akame before I read the manga. The Ninja dog arc was definitely cool, but I never gave him much thought. I don't know what changed about him when I read the manga as he's pretty similar to how he is in the anime, but he quickly became one of my favourites.
:benizakura: - While I don't mind the trope of 'wise elder' I do much prefer the idea of a 'badass wise elder' and Benizakura fits that pretty well. Even though he wasn't in the series long he quickly became one of my favourites. Not to mention that his death, even now as an adult, can still cause me to tear up. RIP big guy.

Honourable Mentions:
:hakuromanga: - I don't know why I like Hakuro, it's a mystery that may, in fact, never be solved. It seems other people like him too, so maybe there's some kind of secret Hakuro Conspiracy brainwashing going around that makes him oddly popular? I dunno, but he gets an honourable mention all the same.
:bill: - I may be biased because Dobbies are one of my favourite breeds, and aside from Sniper, they don't really get much attention. But I do like Bill as a character. While the execution may not have been... perfect, I get what Yoshihiro was going for. He's a gentlemanly dog, and even though he doesn't appear too much, he does seem to be charming, a rare trait for characters in GNG.
:suiga: - Admittedly I was initally really put off by Suiga as I hated his design (and to be honest, I still do), but I really enjoy his character. His dedication to his master was admirable, as was him saving/allowing Gin to live. Easily one of my favourite characters in the wolf arc.
:fuuga: - Ah good ole Fuuga. Without him the battle with Akakabuto probably wouldn't have ended as well as it did. He was the first to see through the lies he was being taught, not to mention he's pretty badass. Yoshihiro may conveniently "forget" where the bear hounds learned their battouga, but I won't.

Least Favourites:
:moss: - I never liked Moss, I'm not sure why. Maybe it was because he made the jump from intimidating badass to comedic relief way too quickly? Not to mention that role was filled by Smith much better. I understand why people like him, but I just can't bring myself to.
:sniper: - Saturday morning called, they want their villain back. Nah, but seriously, Sniper is probably one of the worst villains in the series. (And I still don't understand why he was brought back for GDW.) Again, this is a shame because I really like Dobbies.
:noroi: - Noroi is admittedly a better villain than Sniper, but not by much. His 'redemption' was pretty pitiful as well. Dude may have nice hair, but that's all he has going for him.
:reima: - Reima always rubbed me the wrong way, even though he was supposedly the guy we were supposed to be rooting for. Maybe it's because he willingly tricked and misled his own people? Like yeah, respect for going down with the ship, but you got so many of your own people killed, and for what? (Not to mention he never noticed anything fishy with the guy who was training the most important warriors in his army?)
:hyouma: - Like father, like son. I'll acknowledge the fact that what I'm about to say will make me a hypocrite given that John is my favourite character; but the dude's an ass. I don't think he was written to be anything less than one, and it definitely makes me dislike him. He just feels like a spoiled rich kid. His fog ability is pretty cool though.
:yukimura: :benizakura: :john: :akame: :aram:
spaceplatypus

Post by spaceplatypus »

My favorites are Akame, Kurotora, John, Benizakura, Sniper, and Moss. My least favorite character? Hmm. Probably the guy who owned John. I don't really dislike any of the canine characters.
ImageImage

:akame: :john: :tesshin: :gdwkurotora: :benizakura: :moss: :mel: :toube: :jerome:
oblood

Post by oblood »

My favorites are:
Kai Brothers, especially Akatora
John
Akame
Riki
Gin

Least Favorites:
Sniper
Daisuke
Wolves
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

My FAVORITES (at least some):
AKAME: always been my favorite, such a badass Ninja and very peaceful, kind and understanding too. For example he understands Gins attachment to Daisuke after he helps them during the Russian war dogs. As a kid i thought that he was a unfriendly guy at first but turns out to be very kind, and the way he has developed into a even kinder guy, while still remaining badass is such a great development.

TESSHIN: Similar to Akame, with a loyal and brave Ninja persona and caring to his subordinates. I especially like his sensitivity and expressive eyes despite often appearing serious he also drops into other emotions easily. Ninjas and Samurais have always been fascinating to me so these 2 charaters are appealing to me .

SMITH: Funny comic relief, who is somewhat stereotypical but subverts some cliches by being genuinely serious when he should be and is surprisingly brave and good fighter. His friendship with Gin is so heartwarming and good natured you just gotta love it. His crush on Cross was surprising in the manga and gave more depth to him too. In Weed when he was older, he was even cooler and i was extremely sad when he died.

KUROTORA: Hotheaded but surprisingly kind in the future. I always loved his over-the-top aggressions and also his loyalty to Gin. In GDW and forward i like his development to becoming a father and uncle. He is loving and caring even if he retains his anger. There is just something so likable about him. His bros are cool too :)

SPECIAL MENTIONS:
BEN: cool old guy, kind hearted leader and mentor to Gin. Even when he became Blind he kept on, and it was sad when he became a senile even if he didn't lose his kindness. His death was Heart Wrenching to read.

MUSASHI: Somewhat underdeveloped in GNG but i like his badass fight personality while also being down-to-earth and gentle with others. He easily is one of the more likable characters and in GDW he has some development especially during the Russian Dogs part. I hated how he was killed of like that in Last Wars.

KUROJAKI: An absolute favorite too, you know Evil is cool right? a cannibalistic sadist who also has a kid whom he loves dearly, which is quite a depth for such a nasty character. He only appears in 2 episodes and leaves quite an impression and about 1.5 mangas? i don't fully remember since i don't all parts yet. His Downfall has made me feel bad for him.

DAISUKE: A crazy kid, who takes down a bear and won't give up, somewhat inspiring. But i love his development as an adult, helping Weed and later befriends the other dogs in Futago pass and becomes their much liked ally and in Last Wars this is especially seen. I hope he appears in Noah too because without him the stories seem a little unfinished, i mean after all he was the starter protagonist before Gin took over.

LEAST FAVORITE:
ORION: Well at first, because he was Obnoxious, extremely hotheaded and even cruel at times. I was excited about a fierce main character but was disappointed how Orion went up to eleven with that. In Last Wars he was the one who made it difficult to to enjoy it due to his Mood Whiplashes and endless Mental Breakdowns.
HOWEVER in Noah he seems to have calmed down and seriously has gone through nice development too and i've started to like him more.

I don't any others for some reason at this point, i mean i used to hate Hyena but his development near the end of GNG made him likable and in Noah he is absolutely fantastic.
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Favourites

- Gin
- Akame
- Jouji/George
- Smith
- Tesshin
- Kai brothers
- Moss
- Kyoushiro

Just some badasses, legendary fighters, or some dogs I can mentally relate XD

Least favourites:

- Weed
- Most of the wolves
- Reika
- Sasuke

I have never liked Weed, he's to righteous for me. The wolves were never too interesting, and don't make me start about Reika. Sasuke is just too weird for me.
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

favourites

GIN - We seen him where his strength and motivations come from and work his way into the ranks and he's always willing to put his life on line to save lives against all odds. He earns his title greatly (unlike certain other characters who just get it for being related to a great dog, looking at you, Weed, Orion and Hakutaka!)

JOHN - gotta love a jerk that secretly has a heart of gold and I'm a sucker for his bromance with Gin!

RIKI - Strong leader who cares about all his comrades and a cool badass voice!

CROSS - cares alot about Gin, has a cute romance with Ben and nice attitude to nearly everyone she met.

HAKURO - he made me laugh and was loyal and strong to the army, despite coming in at the last minute

DAISUKE - remains loyal and close to Gin throughout the story and beyond and shows the true friendship between dogs and humans

mixed

AKAME - kind to his friends and always there to protect them and forgiving to his enemies but overall bland personality and too powerful with really no explanation.

KAI BROTHERS - like them working as a team but don't like them apart

WOLVES - some were good and but some were just jerks

hates

KUROJAKI - :tfw_sirius4: WHY DOES EVERYBODY LIKE THIS GUY? NOT ONLY DOES HE KILL LOTS OF DOGS BUT ALSO EATS THEM AS WELL! He also just abandons his kid just to kill himself when he still had something to live for and was just a plain coward by the end of it all as he kept running away from Gin everytime there was a fight. I hate the whole ninja code thing that shoved down my throat everytime I read a Ginga manga! HE'S DEAD AND HE KILLED HIMSELF BY JUMPING INTO FIRE! I GET IT! STOP SHOWING ME EVERYTIME YOU DO A FLASHBACK, YOSHI! :bella4:

GAIA - Kills lots of dogs and wolves for no reason!

ALL THE BEARS - Don't I really need to mention why? They kill everything that move!
Last edited by Gingaddict on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Gingaddict wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:37 am hates

KUROJAKI - :tfw_sirius4: WHY DOES EVERYBODY LIKE THIS GUY? NOT ONLY DOES HE KILL LOTS OF DOGS BUT ALSO EATS THEM AS WELL! He also just abandons his kid just to kill himself when he still had something to live for and was just a plain coward by the end of it all as he kept running away from Gin everytime there was a fight. I hate the whole ninja code thing that shoved down my throat everytime I read a Ginga manga! HE'S DEAD AND HE KILLED HIMSELF BY JUMPING INTO FIRE! I GET IT! STOP SHOWING ME EVERYTIME YOU DO A FLASHBACK, YOSHI! :bella4:
I don't get Kurojaki's popularity too much either. I love his design, it's beautiful, but... the lack of likable traits, even as a villain, really brought him down for me. His design is great for pics, but not emotional attachments to him.
mixed

AKAME - kind to his friends and always there to protect them and forgiving to his enemies but overall bland personality and too powerful with really no explanation.
Arguably, I think Akame felt pretty underpowered in GNG compared to GDW. In GDW, he's an old man, well over 16 years old, yet can: still jump around on trees, can run from Hougen's base to Ohu within just a few days while INJURED, outrun large packs of dogs, overpower young adult dogs, overpower ARMY TRAINED DOGS within their prime, survive days without food or water in the heat, knows how to put together a medical concoction to heal wounds???, live getting hits from giant bears, and return to life after being in critical danger... ....

Compare that list to GNG Akame: can jump on trees like his other kishu soldiers, shot by a hunter, made his underlings fight for him until intruders arrive, tries to get the herbs from Kurojaki's land on his own and loses QUICKLY, gets saved and bested by a pup who just learned how to jump on trees while carrying him without any training lol and in front of his sworn rival too, accepts ending the decades long war that resulted in many of his ancestors and comrades death by burning the scrolls [probably one of his wisest moves... if only he did this sooner before those brothers died earlier], fights as equals with the rest of the army, acts as Weed's secondary teacher after Ben, accepts and trains Tesshin despite being his rival's son, and becomes the only surviving Kishu by the end of the war. Then I guess there's the Wolf arc, where he got pushed around and struggled A LOT and it took him a long time to realize what to do in multiple times in these fights, which I really liked... it made his victories satisfying.

Akame's flaws in GNG feels a bit more obvious than in GDW, where I felt like the only time he really lost was when Genba almost killed him without Weed's help.

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Gingaddict wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:37 am KUROJAKI - :tfw_sirius4: WHY DOES EVERYBODY LIKE THIS GUY? NOT ONLY DOES HE KILL LOTS OF DOGS BUT ALSO EATS THEM AS WELL! He also just abandons his kid just to kill himself when he still had something to live for and was just a plain coward by the end of it all as he kept running away from Gin everytime there was a fight. I hate the whole ninja code thing that shoved down my throat everytime I read a Ginga manga! HE'S DEAD AND HE KILLED HIMSELF BY JUMPING INTO FIRE! I GET IT! STOP SHOWING ME EVERYTIME YOU DO A FLASHBACK, YOSHI! :bella4:
LMFAO

ok I do think a lot of his popularity has to do with his design (though admittedly I'm always interested in a cannibal character). im not sure why Yoshi always throws him into flashbacks though when he was a minor villain.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Favorite: rating 8 - 10
Gin/Silver
Ben
Benizakura
Smith
Cross
John
Moss
Akame/red eye
The Kai Brothers
Daisuke
Takeda Gohei
Riki

Least favorite: rating 1 - 3
Sniper
Hyena

Every other character is ranked between 4 - 7
Have a nice day!
CuteCyanide

Post by CuteCyanide »

I haven’t read the whole manga yet, so these may change, but based to the anime my favorites are:

Gin - I just loved him when I was a kid and still do. He’s a gary stue yes but has an amazing heart and values I still look up to. Somehow Gin gives me strenght.

Smith - He is the funny guy in anime and I like his looks. I also like how he is a good guy but not perfect. Like he’s not a coward but does feel fear sometimes and acts silly.

John - Is so cool and arrogant. I like that bit difficult character of his. I think John would be my main crush if I was a female dog in the series.

I kinda like Riki, Kurotora and Cross and lots of other characters too but Gin, John and Smith are like my top three faves. I don’t really hate any character so far.

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”