What don't you collect?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

What don't you collect?

Post by Arano »

Collectors: is there anything from the Ginga series that you don't collect? Why?

Example: My interest lies in GNG, so I don't collect much outside of that due to lack of interest.
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Re: What don't you collect?

Post by Flanoir »

Well... Mostly everything :derpgin:

Not really a collector anyway. I only buy manga volumes I like the cover for, except for GNG - whole series for that one. If I dislike the cover art that's a no.
I'm only interested in certain types of items, namely enamel pins, plushies and figures, representing GNG characters, the Star Sibs and their pals. Don't really care for the GDW cast.
As it happens, and maybe the purists are gonna shout, I like fan made objects more. It's not like we had a tremendous choice in the past anyway...

I did make an exception to my 'character policy' by collecting 98% of Nishioka's keychains, just because I really liked the art, and it's fun swapping characters on my sets of keys.
Basically I'm into stuff that brings a character to life, if I may say.

I do dig cards, but not the anime screenshot type, which obviously limits the scope of what I would be inclined to buy. Items that just use anime material feel too generic. I totally shun that. So a lot of vintage items just don't do it for me, if not all of them: original GNG trading card game, stickers... Nope, whatever the price. It's really frustrating since GNG is my fav, but yeah.

I have the manga Gin card from the Shonen Jump 50th anniversary set. I wish we could get more in that style. Would be a fun fan project. GNG items from the 50th anniversary line were pretty nice anyway, I'd love to collect them if I'm able to increase my budget in the not too distant future.
Right now, the Urumi GNG plushies are my priority.

Oh yeah, and if items from the same line look too similar, I only buy the piece I like best, even if the whole range is objectively good. Take the Red Shark sofubis for instance. I only bought Gin because I thought the figures, being all from the very same mold, would look quite awkward together. Like a bunch of puppy-eyed, gape-mouthed clones haha. If they'd been more diverse I would happily get the whole thing.

In the end I guess I do have an itch to collect Ginga, but it's quite specific in regards to the type of pieces available.
Last edited by Flanoir on Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

The manga

I know that's like 1. The easiest thing to obtain a lot of the time and 2. The one thing I see Ginga collector always go for/already have in their collections.

But I guess my thing is 1. I have bloody room for that and 2. I have a thing were I don't really have an interest in getting items whose main purpose I can't use? If that makes sense. Since the manga is in another language, I can't read it. So I don't really want them. I'd like to be able to show off and use. And that's a lot of books. I think that's mostly why. It's a lot of something I "can't use"

I have the original GNG board game, the pachinko booklet and the Akita Inu Shimpo simce those are neat, I have space for them and they're just a "one off" sort of deal.

I have weird quirks when it comes to things like this. :rigel4:
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

Yeah I wasn't sure about the mangas either. But when most of the merchandise don't fit your criteria and you need that GNG itch scratched, the mangas kinda do the trick. It's nice to look at Yoshi's earlier art on paper instead of a computer screen.
At one point I tried to sell some of them because I was in a pitch, but I'm glad I didn't have to in the end.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Manga in languages I can't read. I like to read my manga so I only have the 3 English GDW volumes..... :Koyukisweat:

Though I'm picky with my collection stuff anyway. I don't really get stuff thats expensive like the Japanese plushies.
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Nothing, since I have no money :Dd I have almost every GNG manga and all the GDW:s until 30. I also purchased a few Orions when I saw them at a flea market. I have all the animes, because I already purchased them as a kid.
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I just find it interesting that Ginga collectors have different tastes! I think I am quite picky as well. I enjoy and actively collect GNG era stuff as I've said, but I don't like the Japanese plushies so that's something I will never touch.

With manga, outside GNG I only buy the one-offs and the omnibus/special editions as they're usually much nicer than regular volumes. Easier to collect and store as I have he same problem as a few of you, money and space.

I'm also not much of a fan of modern merchandise. The buttons, mugs, bags, keychains, even though I really love the designs on them I don't feel that need for them. I'm not sure why, maybe they just don't scratch that old vintage style itch that I get from collecting GNG era.
GSDJohn
Champion
Champion

Post by GSDJohn »

I sadly can't afford being a collector (which is the main reason why I make all these Ginga papercrafts and my custom version of the Ginga board game). If I were to be one though, I'd not collect the japanese plushies as I personally dislike them. Not even the John plushie, or rather, especially not the John plushie, I find it ugly to look at :jeromeder: Maybe I could make an exception with the original Weed plushie though as I think it's kinda cute, if nowhere as much as the PurePlastic one :weed:

Also like Arano I'm really only interested on the earlier Ginga series, in my case GNG and GDW, I won't collect much things outside of these, either :KRUMP:
~ Image ~

TeePublic Merch

Crumble, Oreo Bastard! :hougen: 🍪

---
Banners and Papercrafts by me. Multiversal Trio Art by SoullessDog. DTJ Art by Dolan!
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I don't collect any of the mangas, I prefer to get the scans on the websites because there is still not much of them in English. I understand little Japanese mainly when pronounced but when written down, I struggle!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I do collect manga, but not all editions, only GNG. I have fourth edition, phonebook edition and two volumes of second edition.
For GDW, I have all in first edition and one book in Beginning Story Compilation edition.
And for plushies, I'd love to have Riki and John plushies but I don't want to buy them all either.
So mostly GNG for me too :D
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Unfortunately, the answer is everything. It's not that I don't want to, but I can't. As much as I would like to buy plushies, hard copies of official English mangas (if there was any), or any other official Ginga merchandise, I just don't have the money for them at this time. Well, if you count fan-made merchandise, I did get some of that a long time ago (over a year ago, I believe) when I did have some money for it.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Sandatora
Translator
Translator

Post by Sandatora »

Everything really, I'm not a collector at all :derpgin:
That being said if the manga and anime ever got translated to English AND physical copies I'd probably buy them when I could!

Icon by VyzWares on Twitter!
🌺 Art topic | Oc generator & Picrew | Art Fight | Toyhouse | Tumblr | Art Tumblr 🌺
TenderVulture
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TenderVulture »

Everything, unfortunately.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”