Weed's name?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
AlaskanGingaFan

Weed's name?

Post by AlaskanGingaFan »

I feel like this needs to be a topic. Weed's name has two major issues. Has anyone else noticed how Weed is named after a drug, that is otherwise known as Marijuana? I mean, he might as well have been named 'pot'. :tfw_sirius3: I assume that Yoshi didn't realize that a weed was a name for a wild plant, but also something that gets ya' stoned :rigel4: Also, a weed is not a name for a prestigious and majestic wild plant, it's a name for annoying hobo plants who invade your garden. Weeds are horrible to deal with and impossible to get rid of sometimes. It's just always struck me as a very odd part of the franchise...
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Weed's name?

Post by Spirit Tree »

Sometimes I think of that, too. Weed being named after a drug, Lol.

But in Volume 1, GB simply named him “Weed” after the wild plants after Weed’s mother died. GB said that Weed has friends around him and that he’ll never be alone.

However, when I saw the manga title for the first time, I immediately thought that something was named after a drug like Marijuana. Lol.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

AlaskanGingaFan wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:33 am Also, a weed is not a name for a prestigious and majestic wild plant, it's a name for annoying hobo plants who invade your garden. Weeds are horrible to deal with and impossible to get rid of sometimes.
That was GB's point when he named Weed, as weeds are hard to destroy, so he would be strong and vigorous and be able to survive anywhere. And never to be alone or far from friends, as there are weeds everywhere. It's a nice thought.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

I love the reasoning for his name being given but....

I still hate that it has to be Weed.
I don't like talking about GDW, showing merch that has the title or anything like that publicly here because people are so annoying an make fun of the fact it's called Weed and I cant get any sort of conversation out of it. :tfw_sirius2:
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I dunno, an invasive little shit and ruins everything and won’t go away sounds a lot like Weed to me :smirk:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

JazzyJazz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:20 pm I dunno, an invasive little shit and ruins everything and won’t go away sounds a lot like Weed to me :smirk:
LMAO noooo 😭
Imagine if he was named Plague or Flu. "Youre tough to get rid of and, like your idealogy, spread around to others quickly!😊"

ImageImage
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

Dragon wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:04 pm
JazzyJazz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:20 pm I dunno, an invasive little shit and ruins everything and won’t go away sounds a lot like Weed to me :smirk:
LMAO noooo 😭
Imagine if he was named Plague or Flu. "Youre tough to get rid of and, like your idealogy, spread around to others quickly!😊"
omfg XD

I think the worst part along with the name itself is that... GB just randomly came up with the name on the spot. It was not a well-thought-out name. He just kinda looked around to name Weed after whatever and then came up with something to justify it... Could have named him literally after anything.. Even Rock or Stone would be cuter.

Watch GB in an alternative universe name Weed "Stoner" instead lol
Image Image
AlaskanGingaFan

Post by AlaskanGingaFan »

Leomonade wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:00 pm
Dragon wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:04 pm
LMAO noooo 😭
omfg XD

I think the worst part along with the name itself is that... GB just randomly came up with the name on the spot. It was not a well-thought-out name. He just kinda looked around to name Weed after whatever and then came up with something to justify it... Could have named him literally after anything.. Even Rock or Stone would be cuter.

Watch GB in an alternative universe name Weed "Stoner" instead lol
Oh god XD Yeah weeds are impossible to erase just like like... Weed. I kept thinking, "Finally he's gonna die" and then he just lived.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Its been a running gag in the fandom for years haha. But I know Yoshi does not really speak English, so he probably had no idea. I do wonder if anyone has told him though. Or that "Weed" in English doesn't really have a positive connotation as a wild plant even if they are resilient.
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

Yoshi ain't aCanadian hippie lol
I think he'd just laugh if he was told what we think when we hear the name Weed. At least it helps to pique interest, bizarre as it is.
Someone needs to roll a fat one, take a pic reading the manga and smoking. Double points for seterotypical hoodie and plant

But not in my house with my fricken manga cuz I ain't cleaning munchie stains off the imported pages
Fino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fino »

AlaskanGingaFan wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:33 am I feel like this needs to be a topic. Weed's name has two major issues. Has anyone else noticed how Weed is named after a drug, that is otherwise known as Marijuana? I mean, he might as well have been named 'pot'. :tfw_sirius3: I assume that Yoshi didn't realize that a weed was a name for a wild plant, but also something that gets ya' stoned :rigel4: Also, a weed is not a name for a prestigious and majestic wild plant, it's a name for annoying hobo plants who invade your garden. Weeds are horrible to deal with and impossible to get rid of sometimes. It's just always struck me as a very odd part of the franchise...
I think this every single time I see him
:derpgin:
I suppose weeds are very persistent and resilient but still...
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

I wouldn't put it past Takahashi being inspired by less than... "Reputable" things when picking the name.

All I'm saying is, "Gin" too can be interpreted as something else entirely. Not that it's meant to be used in the context of english, but still.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Yoshi has admitted himself that he speaks very little English, so I think it's entirely possible he genuinely had no idea about the slang meaning of "weed" when he came up with the name.

I took a shot in the dark and tried to find if "weeds" have less negative connotations in Japanese than in English, and I stumbled upon the idiom "zassoudamashii" (雑草魂), which literally means "weed soul/soul of a weed" and basically means "grit and determination that's been acquired as a result of adversity", like a weed that's managed to survive in a bad environment. Which is pretty fitting for someone who had to learn to lead an army and go to war at the age of like 13, I suppose.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:36 pm
I took a shot in the dark and tried to find if "weeds" have less negative connotations in Japanese than in English, and I stumbled upon the idiom "zassoudamashii" (雑草魂), which literally means "weed soul/soul of a weed" and basically means "grit and determination that's been acquired as a result of adversity", like a weed that's managed to survive in a bad environment. Which is pretty fitting for someone who had to learn to lead an army and go to war at the age of like 13, I suppose.
Thats adorable Q_Q ...

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Digsu wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:36 pm I took a shot in the dark and tried to find if "weeds" have less negative connotations in Japanese than in English, and I stumbled upon the idiom "zassoudamashii" (雑草魂), which literally means "weed soul/soul of a weed" and basically means "grit and determination that's been acquired as a result of adversity", like a weed that's managed to survive in a bad environment. Which is pretty fitting for someone who had to learn to lead an army and go to war at the age of like 13, I suppose.
That's really sweet! Definitely seems like what Yoshi was going for when naming him.
Arctic Ranger wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:14 pm All I'm saying is, "Gin" too can be interpreted as something else entirely. Not that it's meant to be used in the context of english, but still.
It is at least also pronounced differently as well :KRUMP:
Cocoalings

Post by Cocoalings »

Heh, the old fanon joke of the son being named Weed (marijuana) and his father named Gin (alcohol). Definitely sounds like a family matter!
idk what i'm doing

My favorites:
:yukimura: :uzuki: :koushirou: :hiyan: :giyan: :mangariki: :gin: :smith: :kagetora: :ken: :gb: :george: :benizakura: :bella: :akatora: :chutora: :kurotora: :moss: :kaibutsu: :joe: :hazuki: :great: :fuji: :aka: :mel: :yamato: :ryo: :rigel: :lonelyron: :jumbo:
scot39

Post by scot39 »

The way GB first pronounces "weed" in the anime makes it sound like marijuana lol.
Kraiko

Post by Kraiko »

Omigosshhh I thought I was the only one questioning his name. I HATE his name. As much as I love the way GB decided his name (in the anime his reasoning goes belong similar lines of "you will never be alone and you will have many friends with you"), everytime I even try to recommend the manga to one of my friends they're just like "LOL HIS NAME IS WEED, THE DOG SMOKES", and I kind of hate it because it kind of just gives them the interpretation that the manga is bad, when it isn't. (all the male parts jokes doesn't make it any better either :tfw_orion1: )
What's worst is that Weed doesn't even look like a "weed" to me, at least Gin's name actually suited Gin. He looks silver, and silverware shines. Gin "shined" more than the majority of the dogs in the manga due to his abilities.
Alright, enough about me ranting, lol.
smith is everything to me :tfw_sirius3: :tfw_orion1: :sasukehearts: :nosebleed:
skinklegs
Comrade
Comrade

Post by skinklegs »

I think it's a cute name. Peoples' jokes get old quick though. :bella3:
MasterOfCider
Recruit
Recruit

Post by MasterOfCider »

I like the sentiment behind the name, but I don't like it for obvious reasons. I just kind of got used to it. If we wanna get technical, his father's name is Gin. I know it's got a completely different origin and cultural background (just means silver,) but if you think of them both in English, the jokes write themselves.
"Satan takes me to the pasta."

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”