How do you think Smith should've died

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

How do you think Smith should've died

Post by Gingaddict »

Being that Smith's death is quite pointless, how do you think he should have died? Personally, I wouldn't have minded if he stayed alive but I do wonder what he would have done due to his lost leg as the series has not really showed to give disabled characters much to do, I mean take a look at what happened to Ben (if you don't think about the anime).
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Re: How do you think Smith should've died

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Real talk, I honestly don't mind the idea of Smith dying trying to kill Kaibutsu the way he did, but have what Smith did actually BE THE DEATH BLOW.

Drag out the fight a bit more beforehand, make it seem like a really dire situation the others are in (like it really looks like they're all just gonna die) and then have Smith get fed up and grow super determine to end it all and sacrifice himself, could be through the same method.

I think that could work, at least for me it does. :rigel4:
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

I feel like the anime handled Smith's death better since he was with GB and Weed throughout the entire journey to Ohu instead of just showing up at nearly the last minute
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kestrel makes a point that the anime keeping him around longer makes his death less disappointing. I think Libra's idea is good, but if not that, maybe Smith protecting Weed with his body from a deadly attack to show his dedication to Gin and THEN doing some attack in his dying breath. Smith just going in to distract him felt lame and unnecessary since they could have all escaped Im pretty sure.

ImageImage
DanimusMaximus

Post by DanimusMaximus »

I agree with Dragon
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I honestly dont mind his death that much. NGL I kinda wish Ginga did this more often, instead of characters just sticking around forever. It would make enemies seem more intimidating and dangerous. Risks would actually feel more real.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Wolpard wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:48 pm I honestly dont mind his death that much. NGL I kinda wish Ginga did this more often, instead of characters just sticking around forever. It would make enemies seem more intimidating and dangerous. Risks would actually feel more real.
I do too :tfw_orion1: Like in TLW, when Kagetora got that brutal slash from Monsoon, that was crazy, but wouldn't have been such a bad death, if not for them already killing 2-3 oldies :/
Akatora had a similar death if you think about it. It wasn't focused on hard and it happened so quick, he didn't even get last words (in the manga) but you still remember him for what he's done and for it being brutal but cool.
Imagine Akame dying in such a way. I don't know if I'd be speechlessly shocked or amazed that the all-mighty Akame was taken out without barely any dialogue o3o

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Dragon wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:24 am
Wolpard wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:48 pm I honestly dont mind his death that much. NGL I kinda wish Ginga did this more often, instead of characters just sticking around forever. It would make enemies seem more intimidating and dangerous. Risks would actually feel more real.
I do too :tfw_orion1: Like in TLW, when Kagetora got that brutal slash from Monsoon, that was crazy, but wouldn't have been such a bad death, if not for them already killing 2-3 oldies :/
Akatora had a similar death if you think about it. It wasn't focused on hard and it happened so quick, he didn't even get last words (in the manga) but you still remember him for what he's done and for it being brutal but cool.
Imagine Akame dying in such a way. I don't know if I'd be speechlessly shocked or amazed that the all-mighty Akame was taken out without barely any dialogue o3o
Yeah I really wish we got some cool deaths for some of the oldies. I feel like theyve been around so long now that it wont be as impactful though. Akame getting a badass death would have been so cool!
lizaleminou

Post by lizaleminou »

I'm a bit on the fence, i actually kind of like the idea that Smith went out on his own terms in order to help out Weed and Jerome (though it was kind of pointless, seeing as butsu survived), if smith had maybe survived, i would imagine him being tenacious enough to want to go out on his own terms, and not from getting sick, or outside of battle
Lover of Animation, especially involving anthropomorphic characters!
:tfw_bella2:
MeteorGin

Post by MeteorGin »

Maybe if Smith's attack had at least injured Kaibutsu enough to make a difference in the battle from that point on? The fact that he died really bummed me out, but it all would've been more tolerable if his sacrifice hadn't been rendered almost comically useless immediately after. Kaibutsu was such a throwaway villain in the end, and Smith was a well-established character. He always got the short end and IMO, he deserved better.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Unpopular opinion, but I like the fact that Smith's death was pointless. Even tho it was probably not Yoshi's intention, then it still shows us the harsh reality that not everyone gets to go out like a hero even if we want to. Not everyone's death is gonna have a huge importance for the future. Smith also gambled his life on Kaibutsu dying, and his gamble simply didn't pay off. Also, having Smith die pointlessly is also "fitting" considering the fact that he was also useless in the fight against Akakabuto, so him dying a useless death just makes the moment even more depressing.

I don't think that he should've died any other way. I think his death was brilliant, tho that doesn't change the fact that I still want him back. He was one of my favorites :tfw_sirius5:
Last edited by Silver_Alchemist on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a nice day!
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:02 am Unpopular opinion, but I like the fact that Smith's death was pointless. Even tho it was probably not Yoshi's intention, then it still shows us the harsh reality that not everyone gets to go out like a hero even if we want to. Not everyone's death is gonna have an huge importance for the future. Smith also gambled his life on Kaibutsu dying, and his gamble simply didn't pay off. Also, having Smith die pointlessly is also "fitting" considering the fact that he was also useless in the fight against Akakabuto, so him dying a useless death just makes the moment even more depressing.

I don't think that he should've died any other way. I think his death was brilliant, tho that doesn't change the fact that I still want him back. He was one of my favorites :tfw_sirius5:
Okay real talk, after reading this I can vibe with this logic. :THOT:
It does make sense and it does seem fitting
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:02 am Unpopular opinion, but I like the fact that Smith's death was pointless. Even tho it was probably not Yoshi's intention, then it still shows us the harsh reality that not everyone gets to go out like a hero even if we want to. Not everyone's death is gonna have an huge importance for the future. Smith also gambled his life on Kaibutsu dying, and his gamble simply didn't pay off. Also, having Smith die pointlessly is also "fitting" considering the fact that he was also useless in the fight against Akakabuto, so him dying a useless death just makes the moment even more depressing.

I like and appreciate this :tfw_orion1:

ImageImage
Wisp
Potential
Potential

Post by Wisp »

I think his death was very cool and emotional, I just wish he had succeeded killing Kaibutsu.
Wisp
Potential
Potential

Post by Wisp »

I think his death was very cool and emotional, I just wish he had succeeded killing Kaibutsu.
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

Frankly, I think Smith's death was very fitting. He didn't maybe kill Kaibutsu, but it was the ultimate payoff for his own character arc. Smith died thinking he had finally made a difference and followed his comrades who had gone into the afterlife before him. I like to think it's fundamentally about Smith himself and his personal struggle of always being too late to make a difference, always being the one to survive that his death is really about, not killing Kaibutsu.

However, I can see the cricitism. In the end his death might seem "pointless" and I think it could have been eased along with the Kaibutsu becoming injured by the suicide attack so much that he becomes truly vulnerable to Jerome and his companions' following attacks.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
Fino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fino »

MeteorGin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 pm Maybe if Smith's attack had at least injured Kaibutsu enough to make a difference in the battle from that point on? The fact that he died really bummed me out, but it all would've been more tolerable if his sacrifice hadn't been rendered almost comically useless immediately after. Kaibutsu was such a throwaway villain in the end, and Smith was a well-established character. He always got the short end and IMO, he deserved better.
I second this. I found his death pretty disappointing but I'm biased because I always liked his character and hated to see him go
:tfw_orion1:
DweZie Hype

Post by DweZie Hype »

I think his death was a really good death in my opinion
ninehelios

Post by ninehelios »

I think his canon death was okay but maybe if he had a bigger part in killing kaibutsu it would have been more interesting
tomo

Post by tomo »

i just finished reading the chapter where smith dies, so it's very fresh in my mind!
in my opinion, i thought smith's death was... ehhh, but hasty.
smith made it clear when we (the viewers) were introduced to him. he had one goal: to find a place to die.
he was retired and handicapped, and could no longer be beside gin due to the fact. smith had succumbed to being a pet in his retirement. i think he wanted nothing more than to die a soldier of ohu, whether it was quickly or slowly.
his death was heartfelt and motivating not only for weed, kagetora and ken, but for jerome and his crew as well. however, i think his death could have been even more impactful like mentioned above if he had managed to do some significant damage to kaibutsu. it would have been even more badass if in a near-death stupor he reappeared to knock kaibutsu off the cliff instead of the trio! :tfw_orion1: that would have been a death fitting for smith's past corps experience!

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”