Speech bubble shapes

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Nara
Potential
Potential

Speech bubble shapes

Post by Nara »

A bit of a weird thread, but I was just re-reading GNG and yet again wondered why it had such fancy speech bubbles, with ragged edges. This only seems to be the case for dogs, humans had common speech bubbles. Did any of his other older works also have these ragged bubbles and when did he stop using them?
Last edited by Nara on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Re: Speech bubble shapes

Post by Dragon »

They might have only been for dogs' "speech" to show it being unique to just the animals o: But maybe since it's confusing to know who's talking sometimes, they changed it in GDW? Yamato not having talking dogs make me assume they didnt use it but I could be wrong.

ImageImage
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

About speech bubbles, it's not the shapes that I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about which characters the bubbles are pointing to. Because in some manga pages, I kind of find it hard to see which dog is talking in a panel that has more than one dog in it. Sometimes the speech bubbles inaccurately points to a dog that is supposedly speaking. And that's what puzzles me. So in situations like that, I almost can't tell which dog is talking because the speech bubbles don't seem to point exactly. In fact, some bubbles look like they're pointing at two dogs at once. Or when the dog talking is further away, the bubbles point at the dog short instead of long.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
TenderVulture
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TenderVulture »

He's still using jagged speech bubbles by Kyoshiro-arc GDW, at least.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”