Manga Planet English GNG Discussion and FAQ

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Re: Manga Planet English GNG Discussion and FAQ

Post by Arano »

Hopefully they'll see our tweets and fix it :)
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Arano wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:54 pm Hopefully they'll see our tweets and fix it :)
Finally out ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Sorry for double post...

New chapter put, and seems like Futago Pass is Twin Peaks in this.

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Tora wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:53 am Sorry for double post...

Twin Peaks? I understand that Futago Pass means Twin Peaks. But I think Futago Pass is more fitting in the official translation. However, it’s MP’s choice. No complaints.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

On the one hand, I realize that this is a perfectly fine localization.

On the other hand

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I said this in the discord but I'm curious as to why they decided to go with a literal translation :THOT: I know Futago means "twin" but I always thought of it as a name the same way Gin and Akakabuto are names but mean things like "silver" and "red helmet", but seem strange when literally translated.

I could be wrong though and it wasn't intended to be a name in the original Japanese :derpgin:

Also does anyone know why they may have chosen "peaks" instead of "pass"? Pass and peak are kinda the opposite lol. Pass being what's in between two peaks. Are they similar in Japanese? Like is the word used for the whole area encompassing a pass and it's peaks? Unless they just decided to change it for localization because it's the peaks that are "twinning".

Not complaining! Just curious lol
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Digsu wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:26 am

On the one hand, I realize that this is a perfectly fine localization.

On the other hand

I accept this as canon. XD

My theory is because it's 1 mountain with two twin peaks, that's what they've chosen to use the word peaks instead. Literal translation being Twin Pass doesn't make much sense in isolation, and Twin Peaks Pass is then perhaps too wordy/clunky for english?
I still wish they kept it as Futago Pass as it's a place name. It won't make any difference to new readers though!

Edit: An insight from Kawainu on the discord:
Interpreting Touge as pass is a relatively new Japanese word. Mostly when the Touge is used in place names, it means "peak".

I guess there is the answer as to why!
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Notes from Chapter 3 of Volume 3:

Whyyyyyyyyy are they using the word pal??? Seems a childish choice of word again...

- The "real males vs real men" argument = they've gone with "real men".
- Bazzett's name is spelled as Bazett.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I also react to:
- Groups and not Platoons

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Just in case anyone else would like to send them an email >>' here the main part of what I've sent them
112 Bottom panel - "Unless you want to be our pal!" should be "Unless you want to be our ally!" (friend would also fit here but ally is perhaps the better english choice, original kanji is 仲間)
141 Top left panel - "They didn't even try to avenge their pal!" should be "They didn't even try to avenge their friend!" (again original kanji is 仲間)*
165 Bottom left panel - "Pal" should be "Comrade" (original kanji is 同志)
166-167 - All instances of the word "group" should be the word "Platoon" (original kanji is 小隊)
*My reason for choosing friend over comrade here is because at this stage John and Gin don't know they are an army. Ben is the first to say comrade distinctly before introducing the platoons.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I also enjoy how the noise Gin is making at Cross is simply "HOWL".

I can understand using "[verb]" as a sound effect when there isn't a good English equivalent to the original (eg. there isn't really an agreed-upon way of describing a dog's whine, so using "whiiine..." as a substitute is perfectly acceptable), but there are several ways to describe a howling sound in English, like "awooo" or "oooo" or the like. Just using "HOWL" seems a bit silly to me.

Nevermind the fact that I'm not even sure if Gin (or Cross) is supposed to be making a howling sound in the first place; the Finnish version translates it as a growling sound instead and while looking up Japanese onomatopoeia is tricky, I could find examples of ガウウ (gauu) being used either as a growl or a loud whine. But given the context, I don't think it's supposed to be howling.
:THOT:

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

I like that they went with ''men'' instead of ''males'', because ''males'' just sound stupid, while ''men'' actually make sense in a term ''real men'', or in regards to army (in this case, the men and soldiers would be the same thing, so it makes sense that Cross can be one of the men, but she can't possibly be one of the MALES).
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

"Pal" is... an interesting choice. I wonder why they went with that?

But I do like the use of "real men"! I always thought "real male" sounded clunky and weird. (even if they are dogs)
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

an army of pals LOL aaaaaa

ImageImage
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Wolpard wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 pmBut I do like the use of "real men"! I always thought "real male" sounded clunky and weird. (even if they are dogs)
And I find it weird to use "men" instead of "males" because they're dogs. Well, each to their own, I guess.

I know the Japanese version call them "otoko" which means "man", but still - they're dogs!
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

YamaDora wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:15 pm
Wolpard wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 pmBut I do like the use of "real men"! I always thought "real male" sounded clunky and weird. (even if they are dogs)
And I find it weird to use "men" instead of "males" because they're dogs. Well, each to their own, I guess.

I know the Japanese version call them "otoko" which means "man", but still - they're dogs!

But there can be several definitions and uses of word ''men''! It doesn't have to limit to human species at all. In ginga, it just means soldier in ''Hougen's men'', person in ''every man should--'', etc. While primary used in male form, it isn't completely exclusive in usage regarding male characters only. Lydia and Cross (the only female soldiers) are also men, in a sense that they are part of the army. Riki's men/Maxim's men, etc.
On the other hand, the word ''males'' does limit the word to gender only, and it isn't even a ''doggish'' word, because for dogs accurate gender words are ''dog'' and ''bitch'', not ''male''/''female'', because these specific words are used to describe the gender of any species and has no relation to dogs more than it is to humans. GDW animated series went that translation path by using phrases such as ''--be a real Dog''. xD
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Hm, this is really making me rethink about using 'male' vs 'men' in translations now. I always found 'males' weird, but I thought it fit cause Ginga is a bit of a strange series, so I got used to it. But thinking in context of army, 'men' does fit especially with how Kaiken explained Cross's reason for being accepted.
Interesting to think about. I do find the 'comrade' vs 'pal', the dog sounds, and Futago Pass vs Twins Peak as more jarring of a change though. If people started saying 'we're recruiting pals', I don't think anyone would be able to take this series any more seriously than they possibly could already.

ImageImage
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

I guess it's just a language thing. The official Finnish translations have gone through different terms: GNG anime used "dogs" for it (which was a bit jarring), while the manga translation uses "males". Though, in my opinion, the usage of "uroot" ("males) in the Finnish translation feels much better than "men". It works really well in GNG because it sounds a bit old-fashioned (the Finnish translation of GNG has that vibe to it), and I think the term "uroot" just has the right feel to it - which the English equivalent "males" probably doesn't.

Again, it's probably a difference in the language/culture, and as someone who doesn't speak English as their native language, I might not quite grasp this as I might not understand some words or terms in a same way as native speakers.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

YamaDora wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:59 am I guess it's just a language thing. The official Finnish translations have gone through different terms: GNG anime used "dogs" for it (which was a bit jarring), while the manga translation uses "males". Though, in my opinion, the usage of "uroot" ("males) in the Finnish translation feels much better than "men". It works really well in GNG because it sounds a bit old-fashioned (the Finnish translation of GNG has that vibe to it), and I think the term "uroot" just has the right feel to it - which the English equivalent "males" probably doesn't.

Again, it's probably a difference in the language/culture, and as someone who doesn't speak English as their native language, I might not quite grasp this as I might not understand some words or terms in a same way as native speakers.
For me, "males" sounds pretty stiff, which is why I personally prefer "men" even if its talking about dogs. I think of "male" being used for more scientific and less personal conversations in English.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

In the Swedish subs of the GNG anime we used "hannar/hanar", meaning males, and "tik" meaning bitch/female. I also liked male and female better, as it stands out more like the manga actually does. But each to their own about males vs men. ^^

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”