smith's death

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: smith's death

Post by Spirit Tree »

Smith’s death is really sad. I have him on my Top Ten Saddest Deaths in the Ginga Series.

But what’s worse is that he ended up dying for nothing. It sucks that he didn’t actually make a proper sacrifice. It felt almost pointless based on how it happened.

But seeing dogs like GB cry for him made the moment even more sorrowful.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

striker32 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:41 pm weed is so puny :bella4:
I think it's important to remember that Weed is a child... and an untrained child soldier at this point in the anime/manga. He wasn't put through any of the abusive training that Gin was, so I'm not sure it's entirely fair to call him weak. :weed:
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

I'm probably heartless but... I couldn't care less about Smith in GDW. Like at all. He was more interesting to me as a weird comical character in GNG even though even in that series he was in no way my fav. His death was so unnecessary and amounted to nothing story-vise... his manga version is even more out of place for me than the GDW anime one.
I feel like the most important for Smith in the story was him losing Sakura and saving GB.. both story points were less about him and more about other characters. DX
Image Image
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Leomonade wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:38 am I'm probably heartless but... I couldn't care less about Smith in GDW. Like at all. He was more interesting to me as a weird comical character in GNG even though even in that series he was in no way my fav. His death was so unnecessary and amounted to nothing story-vise... his manga version is even more out of place for me than the GDW anime one.
I feel like the most important for Smith in the story was him losing Sakura and saving GB.. both story points were less about him and more about other characters. DX
I agree, Smith was much better in the anime, he felt too weight down in the manga
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

He was one of my favorite characters and I was disappointed that Yoshi didn't give him a proper, meaningful death that would actually accomplish something
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

Smith's death could have been avoided if Jerome went with him to save Weed.
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Whatever you may think of the way he died (dying in vain and all that), I personally liked the short scene in the manga after Gajou collapsed - the characters get to talk with Smith for a moment before he dies from the injuries.
I've just always liked this short scene for some reason. Maybe it is because we rarely (or almost never, really) get such peaceful death scenes right after the fight is over. The characters might have won the fight (well in this case the fight wasn't over yet but they didn't know that yet) but losing a friend/leader/someone everyone looked up to like that left everyone in shambles.

The quiet and sad feeling that lingers for a moment after Smith's passing is probably one of my favorite moments in Ginga in terms of emotion and how well it was executed.
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I thought his death was sad, and he was old. He wanted to save Weed and others so this happened. As Yamadora said above, I also liked the scene Smith talked to them before he died.
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Raki wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:17 pm I thought his death was sad, and he was old. He wanted to save Weed and others so this happened. As Yamadora said above, I also liked the scene Smith talked to them before he died.
The talk he has with them before he dies is one of the most charismatic speeches in the whole series!
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
GingaLegend

Post by GingaLegend »

I was really sad when he died. And he died a pointless death which made it even worse.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”