Dark mode?

Having issues using the board? Ask here! You can also suggest improvements and comment on current features.
Silver_Alchemist
Prodigy
Prodigy

Dark mode?

Post by Silver_Alchemist » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm

I have been looking around on this board, but has been unable to find any "dark mode" option. Is it possible that we can get that? I'm getting killed by all of this light XD

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Re: Dark mode?

Post by Arano » Fri May 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Silver_Alchemist wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm
I have been looking around on this board, but has been unable to find any "dark mode" option. Is it possible that we can get that? I'm getting killed by all of this light XD
Regnant will be the one to ask about that! I'll link her to this topic.

As a side note you have reminded me I have been wanting to change up the boards colours to blue to match up more with the silver fang network websites. I've just been too busy to even think about it properly.
Regnant I'll find time to discuss this with you properly but in the meantime it would be good to know if a dark mode is a possibility

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant » Fri May 22, 2020 9:44 pm

I can definitely look into adding on a dark mode! I have an idea of how it could work, I just need to do a little bit of research~

Pairing it with a board retheming would work out well I think!

Silver_Alchemist
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Silver_Alchemist » Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 pm

Arano wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:39 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm
Regnant will be the one to ask about that! I'll link her to this topic.

As a side note you have reminded me I have been wanting to change up the boards colours to blue to match up more with the silver fang network websites. I've just been too busy to even think about it properly.
Regnant I'll find time to discuss this with you properly but in the meantime it would be good to know if a dark mode is a possibility
Changing it to blue doesn't sound bad:)
Regnant wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:44 pm
I can definitely look into adding on a dark mode! I have an idea of how it could work, I just need to do a little bit of research~

Pairing it with a board retheming would work out well I think!
A general retheming? Well that sure sounds interesting. And glad to see that a dark mode is a possibility:) I like being here on GB, but I don't want my already bad eyes (I wear glasses) to be killed when I am awake while it's dark. It's like looking into the bloody sun XD

Wolpard
Upholder
Upholder

Post by Wolpard » Sat May 23, 2020 3:21 am

Silver_Alchemist wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 pm
I like being here on GB, but I don't want my already bad eyes (I wear glasses) to be killed when I am awake while it's dark. It's like looking into the bloody sun XD
This isn't directly about the board but have you looked into blue light filter apps? :p I use one called f.lux and it makes my laptop screen so much easier on the eyes when its dark out.

Silver_Alchemist
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Silver_Alchemist » Sat May 23, 2020 7:00 am

Wolpard wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:21 am
Silver_Alchemist wrote:
I like being here on GB, but I don't want my already bad eyes (I wear glasses) to be killed when I am awake while it's dark. It's like looking into the bloody sun XD
This isn't directly about the board but have you looked into blue light filter apps? :p I use one called f.lux and it makes my laptop screen so much easier on the eyes when its dark out.
I have never heard about these apps. What would you prefer? Dark mode, or one of these apps?

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Sat May 23, 2020 10:05 am

Silver_Alchemist wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:00 am
Wolpard wrote:
Silver_Alchemist wrote:
I have never heard about these apps. What would you prefer? Dark mode, or one of these apps?
f.lux is great for computer screens if that is what you use most of the time. It changes the colour of your screen to match when the sun is setting in your timezone. Blue light = mimics sunlight. So flux changes your screen to mimic indoor artificial lighting when it starts to get dark (turns everything a more deep yellow/orange hue).
Blue light keeps you awake, so I found this helpful when I was trying to wean myself off staying on my computer working too long. It worked - I don't use my laptop after 6pm now.

I use my phone in the evenings, but with the blue light filter on max. Again it just changes your screen to mimic yellow indoor light as opposed to sunlight. If you browse GB on your phone and don't have blue light enabled, it'll be in your settings somewhere - I think most phones have it now.

I don't think it's a question of preference as such between blue light filters and dark mode - they're two different things. Dark mode is about removing high contrast and reducing all light (not changing it) while still being readable, and it makes sense for small screen browsing.
I use dark mode on my phone reddit app for example, but with my blue light filter enabled still.

Silver_Alchemist
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Silver_Alchemist » Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 am

Arano wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:05 am
Silver_Alchemist wrote:
Wolpard wrote:

f.lux is great for computer screens if that is what you use most of the time. It changes the colour of your screen to match when the sun is setting in your timezone. Blue light = mimics sunlight. So flux changes your screen to mimic indoor artificial lighting when it starts to get dark (turns everything a more deep yellow/orange hue).
Blue light keeps you awake, so I found this helpful when I was trying to wean myself off staying on my computer working too long. It worked - I don't use my laptop after 6pm now.

I use my phone in the evenings, but with the blue light filter on max. Again it just changes your screen to mimic yellow indoor light as opposed to sunlight. If you browse GB on your phone and don't have blue light enabled, it'll be in your settings somewhere - I think most phones have it now.

I don't think it's a question of preference as such between blue light filters and dark mode - they're two different things. Dark mode is about removing high contrast and reducing all light (not changing it) while still being readable, and it makes sense for small screen browsing.
I use dark mode on my phone reddit app for example, but with my blue light filter enabled still.
So basically, if possible, just have both?

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora » Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Oh! A dark mode, and making coilours fit Silver Fang Network sounds amazing! ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera and Nokorde, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Wolpard
Upholder
Upholder

Post by Wolpard » Sat May 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Silver_Alchemist wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 am
Arano wrote:
Silver_Alchemist wrote:

I definitely use both. I set all my social media to dark mode when available and have f.lux on almost always unless i'm doing art stuff.

Silver_Alchemist
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Silver_Alchemist » Sat May 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Wolpard wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:34 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 am
Arano wrote:

I definitely use both. I set all my social media to dark mode when available and have f.lux on almost always unless i'm doing art stuff.
Alright. Imma just f.lux (unless it costs money, since I am currently saving money for something else).

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm

Flux is free - https://justgetflux.com/

I'm going to close this topic now :)

Return to “Troubleshoot”