Ginga Peeves

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
JiiJoo
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Ginga Peeves

Post by JiiJoo »

Lackluster Plastic personalities

Is It just me or so many new characters or even old characters are just so boring and plain, even when they have a "personality" It's just one single trait and that's It
:bon: :bella: :maxim: :lydia: :aram: :pinkdragon:
*Insert Intresting something*
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

JiiJoo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:21 pm Lackluster Plastic personalities

Is It just me or so many new characters or even old characters are just so boring and plain, even when they have a "personality" It's just one single trait and that's It
Definitely, JiiJoo. I find that many of the secondary characters from GDW:O onwards are bland as cardboard. Actually, in saying that, I find even Gin to have become a boring character too. He's just... old and sometimes he gets grumpy, and apart from him getting some decent limelight at the beginning of TLW, that's about it. He should've been put to rest ages ago. :bella3:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

When you see errors on characters regarding ears, eyes, scars, necks, head, paws, etc.

Ex: one character supposedly has pointy ears but is shown slightly floppy ones in a couple of panels.

Ex 2: one character supposedly has the small pupils of a grown adult (see adult Gin) but is then shown to have slightly bigger pupils of a young kid or adult in a couple of panels.

Ex 3: one character supposedly has some scars or just one on a certain part of his/her body but is then shown to have no scars or the signature scar is on another spot of the body in a few panels.

My most annoying one: George has a goshdamn magical collar on him in GDN Volume 4!

Seriously, why couldn’t the weekly manga goraku be a rough draft theme for chapters and then edited to fix some errors before going into the volumes as final drafts?! Is there no damn consideration?!
:tfw_sirius4:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Forced scenes to make a character look good.

Currently working on volume 19 and in it is a random seen of a puppy being bullied by an old dog over his food. The old guy was being overly evil for no real reason and then Weed comes in with his gang, punch him a bit, then gives the food back to the pup and leaves. They didn't take the old dog away from the pup so who knows what happened after they left and we never see these characters again. It was all just for the point of showing 'wow look, Weed and his army are such good guys, even in times of having to rush'. Like... why did we need this. We already knew about them being good guys who save people no matter what. WHY WAS THIS A SCENE?
The anime did a great job trimming the fat of the series honestly xD

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Rereading TLW in Finnish is reminding me of two peeves I have with Monsoon's character:

Monsoon's completely unexplained fear of humans
At first, this seems like a no-brainer: he's a wild animal, of course he'd be afraid of humans. The problem is that it's established very early on that he's lived in Shirakami-Sanchi all his life; as TLW itself acknowledges, the place is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and, as Wikipedia puts it, "[p]ermission is needed from Forest Management to enter the heart of the Shirakami-Sanchi." So he's somehow utterly terrified of humans... despite living in what's probably one of the safest places in Japan for a wild animal to live (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that hunting in a place that you need special permission to even enter isn't allowed).

Of course there are ways to explain this - maybe his family had run into poachers over the years, or he'd heard stories of the hunter who shot his father, or something - but the problem is that it's not. We never find out why Monsoon is so afraid of humans that he's unwilling to harm dogs if there's even the slightest chance of them being pets.

The story's inability to make up its mind on whether Monsoon hates Gin or not
When TLW starts, we find out that Monsoon utterly despises Gin and is hell-bent on killing him to avenge his father. All right, that's sensible enough. But later on, when Sirius starts attempting to connect with Monsoon, there are at least two instances of Monsoon not killing him on sight because he looks so much like Gin, and it's revealed that Gin saved Monsoon from getting killed by John as a cub. So now he both hates Gin to the point that killing him was one of his main goals when invading Ohu... and recognizes him as the dog who once saved his life, to the point where seeing a dog who's almost identical to him causes him to have flashbacks that are so vivid they can temporarily curb his violent urges. Of course the narration tries to excuse it by saying "Sirius's eyes reminded him of young Gin's", but that still doesn't explain how he can be fixated on killing the guy he knows saved him from certain death as a child.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

A character like Ben can never exist in the current state of Ginga. Yoshi's battles have become super basic. If someone, such as Ben, has better endurance and waits until his opponent is tired, it...doesn't matter. Because I feel like I can't even remember the last time fatigue has been fairly used unless it was pawns fighting a strog named character.
Though, did it even get used much in GNG? I wish varied traits like that existed more. Everyone is basically the same, apart from battouga, ninja jumps, and...Kyoshiro rock throwing.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:30 pm Though, did it even get used much in GNG?
Kind of. Ben using his endurance to outlast his opponents never really came up (aside from the fight against the Kai bros, where it didn't even work), but it's presumably the reason he managed to survive stuff like getting crushed by Moss's rocks, getting smacked upside the head by Akakabuto, and taking multiple hits from the (supposedly) super-lethal Geki Senstuuhi Battouga.

WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Yoshi sacrficing characters potential or flanderizing (flanderization) their personalities and traits just to make others seem more badass or impressive. Kyoushiro is an egregious example, with him becoming a flanderized butt-monkey ever since Orion became the protagonist and his scenes with Orion are the same childish meltdowns and humiliation conga to make him seem weaker than Orion.

It's so cheap

And these Aka-ari guys, killing Tonov and those 2 brothers i don't remember names anymore being introduced as sinister and menacing but ultimately become weak and pathetic once some fighting begins. Even more cheap. This has happened ever since GNG with the Kogas changing from menacing cannibals to regular weaklings which is even lampshaded by Kurotora in the manga.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

WolfKing wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:23 pm Yoshi sacrficing characters potential or flanderizing (flanderization) their personalities and traits just to make others seem more badass or impressive. Kyoushiro is an egregious example, with him becoming a flanderized butt-monkey ever since Orion became the protagonist and his scenes with Orion are the same childish meltdowns and humiliation conga to make him seem weaker than Orion.

It's so cheap

And these Aka-ari guys, killing Tonov and those 2 brothers i don't remember names anymore being introduced as sinister and menacing but ultimately become weak and pathetic once some fighting begins. Even more cheap. This has happened ever since GNG with the Kogas changing from menacing cannibals to regular weaklings which is even lampshaded by Kurotora in the manga.
I don't like those Akr-ari guys either, they're ripoffs of Hougen's lackies and their leaders don't look intimating in the slightiest!
Dragon wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:05 pm Forced scenes to make a character look good.

Currently working on volume 19 and in it is a random seen of a puppy being bullied by an old dog over his food. The old guy was being overly evil for no real reason and then Weed comes in with his gang, punch him a bit, then gives the food back to the pup and leaves. They didn't take the old dog away from the pup so who knows what happened after they left and we never see these characters again. It was all just for the point of showing 'wow look, Weed and his army are such good guys, even in times of having to rush'. Like... why did we need this. We already knew about them being good guys who save people no matter what. WHY WAS THIS A SCENE?
I take then you didn't like Mari's story because I think that was totally put in just to make Weed look good!
Digsu wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:51 pm Rereading TLW in Finnish is reminding me of two peeves I have with Monsoon's character:

Monsoon's completely unexplained fear of humans
At first, this seems like a no-brainer: he's a wild animal, of course he'd be afraid of humans. The problem is that it's established very early on that he's lived in Shirakami-Sanchi all his life; as TLW itself acknowledges, the place is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and, as Wikipedia puts it, "[p]ermission is needed from Forest Management to enter the heart of the Shirakami-Sanchi." So he's somehow utterly terrified of humans... despite living in what's probably one of the safest places in Japan for a wild animal to live (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that hunting in a place that you need special permission to even enter isn't allowed).

Of course there are ways to explain this - maybe his family had run into poachers over the years, or he'd heard stories of the hunter who shot his father, or something - but the problem is that it's not. We never find out why Monsoon is so afraid of humans that he's unwilling to harm dogs if there's even the slightest chance of them being pets.

The story's inability to make up its mind on whether Monsoon hates Gin or not
When TLW starts, we find out that Monsoon utterly despises Gin and is hell-bent on killing him to avenge his father. All right, that's sensible enough. But later on, when Sirius starts attempting to connect with Monsoon, there are at least two instances of Monsoon not killing him on sight because he looks so much like Gin, and it's revealed that Gin saved Monsoon from getting killed by John as a cub. So now he both hates Gin to the point that killing him was one of his main goals when invading Ohu... and recognizes him as the dog who once saved his life, to the point where seeing a dog who's almost identical to him causes him to have flashbacks that are so vivid they can temporarily curb his violent urges. Of course the narration tries to excuse it by saying "Sirius's eyes reminded him of young Gin's", but that still doesn't explain how he can be fixated on killing the guy he knows saved him from certain death as a child.
I actually raised that point in General Questions about Last Wars when I asked why does Monsoon want revenge on Gin if Gin saved him a long time ago. It does seem extremely odd, like one rule for pups and one rule for adults. I also find that pet part odd because weren't most of the dogs fighting on Ohu's side for the first set of Mangas pets?
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Gingaddict wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 pm I also find that pet part odd because weren't most of the dogs fighting on Ohu's side for the first set of Mangas pets?
The vast majority of the dogs fought Akakabuto were either abandoned hunting dogs or dogs born in the wild. Only a handful of GNG-era characters, like Gin and John, outright ran away from home (like most of the emergency pet soldiers in later series).

The Ohu army recruited a huge number of pets to fight Hougen and Victor, and Unsai did the same to fight Masamune, but all three of them were more or less explicitly shown to have no fear of humans so they had no reason to fear harming the pets. Even though, by all logic, they had more reason to be terrified of humans than Monsoon, seeing how they were actually familiar with them, but that's neither here nor there.

Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Digsu wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:29 pm
Gingaddict wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 pm I also find that pet part odd because weren't most of the dogs fighting on Ohu's side for the first set of Mangas pets?
The vast majority of the dogs fought Akakabuto were either abandoned hunting dogs or dogs born in the wild. Only a handful of GNG-era characters, like Gin and John, outright ran away from home (like most of the emergency pet soldiers in later series).

The Ohu army recruited a huge number of pets to fight Hougen and Victor, and Unsai did the same to fight Masamune, but all three of them were more or less explicitly shown to have no fear of humans so they had no reason to fear harming the pets. Even though, by all logic, they had more reason to be terrified of humans than Monsoon, seeing how they were actually familiar with them, but that's neither here nor there.
I was mainly meaning in Last Wars, I think it was indeed mentioned and seen that most of the dogs fighting Monsoon and his Kin were pets.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
Iga

Post by Iga »

Recently read the Russian war arc for the first time. Repeatedly Aram is chided by the Ohu army for being untrustworthy because he is quick to switch sides. Which, while this is not untrue, Maxim and Lydia switched sides way faster than Aram. If anything Aram had a more organic arc (or at least organic by Ginga standards) than Maxim and Lydia who almost gave me whiplash from how fast they turned.
:yukimura: :benizakura: :john: :akame: :aram:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Gingaddict wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 pm
Dragon wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:05 pm Forced scenes to make a character look good.

I take then you didn't like Mari's story because I think that was totally put in just to make Weed look good!
Nope! Mari herself was interesting... but just like the random pup saving scene, it added nothing to the plot. What did we learn from it? I learned.... Borzois are really expensive and scummy people would want to use them for money lol Adds nothing to Ginga though! If we saw Mari again, or her pups grown up, then yeah! that scene wouldnt be pointless! But all it was there for was 'hey guys, remember Weed is a good guy. Even on his days off, heading to his wife, he's still willing to save a random bunch that'll be thrown into the void by tomorrow! what a great guy. we definitely didn't know this after 3 arcs!"
You know? XD Petty, maybe, especially if people are into little scenes like that... but I think I would have appreciated a scene that showed us another side of Weed we don't know yet. Or a side of Rocket or GB or Kyoshiro, anyone! Something new, than the stuff we know already.
Can you imagine if that scene was replaced with us learning Rocket actually has a big fear of cats and Weed could be a surprising jokester and teased Rocket with cats? That would be interesting and new! Pointless all the same, but hey. character development!

Just my opinion of course! :rigel4:

ImageImage
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Dragon wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:53 am
Gingaddict wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 pm

Nope! Mari herself was interesting... but just like the random pup saving scene, it added nothing to the plot. What did we learn from it? I learned.... Borzois are really expensive and scummy people would want to use them for money lol Adds nothing to Ginga though! If we saw Mari again, or her pups grown up, then yeah! that scene wouldnt be pointless! But all it was there for was 'hey guys, remember Weed is a good guy. Even on his days off, heading to his wife, he's still willing to save a random bunch that'll be thrown into the void by tomorrow! what a great guy. we definitely didn't know this after 3 arcs!"
You know? XD Petty, maybe, especially if people are into little scenes like that... but I think I would have appreciated a scene that showed us another side of Weed we don't know yet. Or a side of Rocket or GB or Kyoshiro, anyone! Something new, than the stuff we know already.
Can you imagine if that scene was replaced with us learning Rocket actually has a big fear of cats and Weed could be a surprising jokester and teased Rocket with cats? That would be interesting and new! Pointless all the same, but hey. character development!

Just my opinion of course! :rigel4:
Definitely agree. While not EVERYTHING has to move the plot, character development or new character traits should happen in new scenes, or else it's becoming stale.
icon by azzai
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Here's a recent pet peeve I have, Why does each manga have to have the text 'THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION'

I mean it's talking dogs who can use ninja techniques and spin in the air to kill their enemies, SHOULDN'T IT GO WITHOUT SAYING???

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Gingaddict wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 am Here's a recent pet peeve I have, Why does each manga have to have the text 'THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION'

I mean it's talking dogs who can use ninja techniques and spin in the air to kill their enemies, SHOULDN'T IT GO WITHOUT SAYING???
It's a semi-common disclaimer in all fiction, formally known as "all persons fictitious" disclaimer and it's meant to protect the creators from being accused of libel. So if someone became convinced that, say, Orion was based on them, and his actions in TLW were meant to portray them in a negative light, and they then tried to sue the publishing company for it, the company could just point at the disclaimer and go "no, it's pure fiction, none of these characters are based on real people", at least in theory.

The reason it gets slapped on a lot of things, even things that are extremely clearly not based on real-life events, is apparently a bit weird.

Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Alright, here's a real complaint - Why do all the characters say 'I won't forgive you for this' when they end up sparing the enemy anywhere? The ONLY time this did not happen was when taking on Monsoon apart from that, Hougen, Victor and Masamune are all given this saying but they end up letting them go?

Maybe I'm just stick of hearing repeated dialogue but... come on! Couldn't they say anything more than that like 'you're entering a world of pain!'

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Gingaddict wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 am Alright, here's a real complaint - Why do all the characters say 'I won't forgive you for this' when they end up sparing the enemy anywhere? The ONLY time this did not happen was when taking on Monsoon apart from that, Hougen, Victor and Masamune are all given this saying but they end up letting them go?

Maybe I'm just stick of hearing repeated dialogue but... come on! Couldn't they say anything more than that like 'you're entering a world of pain!'
It's mostly a translation issue. "I won't forgive you" and different variations of it are so common in Japanese media that TVTropes has its own article for it; it basically is the Japanese equivalent of "you're entering a world of pain!" and other such threats.

Though like the article points out, using it too much and especially when the villain does end up getting forgiven anyway can seriously impact its effectiveness.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

ImageImage

I miss back when Yoshi drew top row fangs back in GNG and early Hougen arc times . 3.
Without the top fangs, they just look so...silly to me. Not threatening or tough at all. Just like they're constantly smiling.
The only times they show up now is if they're about to bite something (sometimes they still don't) oorrr .. if theyre Aram lol cause he has no choice.

ImageImage
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

aaaa sorry for double post lol reviving this thread
I. haaattee. how Weed is so wishywashy with his morals.
Weed will slap you around and ensure you follow his morals of killing is wrong even if they killed your family... but as soon as you kill HIS family or friends, SUDDENLY HE DOESN'T NEED TO FORGIVE THEM. IT'S ALL OK NOW TO KILL. If you hate another species because it traumatized you, and Weed just happened to like that species, you're evil and need to change to his mindset. And that's fine, because that sort of thinking is already wrong.... But he hates bears! Sorry Sirius, he will NOT give you the time of day for thinking otherwise, even when you bring living proof that a bear is okay (Chibi) or even talk it out to understand where he's coming from. EXILED.

It's one thing if these things were called out and Weed was shown in a light of being a hypocrite on purpose... but Yoshi isn't exactly an advanced writer. In the end of the day, Weed is usually 'right'.
I can't. :bella4:

ImageImage

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”