Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
User avatar
Dragon
Seasoned
Seasoned
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: Nohr
Contact:

Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Dragon » Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 am

I thought about this idea earlier today and thought it'd be a pretty good topic for Ginga as well!

Have a 'controversial' opinion that you never got to share about the series? Hate a character that everyone loves?
You won't get judged here for ranting about it xD

--

I'll start with a sorta big one. I don't care about Smith all that much.
I also always questioned how he got his role as a platoon leader when he kind of have..no accomplishments. He got knocked down by Kurotora easily, ran away from Sniper just to fall in a waterfall, get kidnapped by ninjas, knocked out by Benizakura (in the manga only I think), and fall immediately in the Suicide Corps. Poor guy never caught a break, but he kind of got himself into a lot of these issues being all talk and no bite.
Maybe it's the curse of Yoshi, where he dumbed down Smith like he did Cross after Gin joins, but...doesnt explain his position as a leader.
Image

Online
User avatar
Wolpard
Friend
Friend
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Wolpard » Fri May 10, 2019 2:46 am

I love Kyōshirō's eyelashes and "bug eyes".

I know a lot of people don't... and I know people also tend to think that he didn't have them in the Hōgen arc but he certainly did! They were just not drawn as prominently as often. I read the Hōgen arc this year and it was something I noticed right away, especially since it's not something that's included in his Anime design (which I'm not fond of- then again Studio DEEN doesn't do any designs much justice so).

Like I dunno, do people think it takes away from his "tough guy" look? Dude's still got scars all over him and eyelashes don't make you any less tough. Plus we all know he's a softy at heart.

User avatar
Shining Sirius
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:40 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Shining Sirius » Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Ooh, good idea for a topic indeed, Dragon. :thumbsup:

I'll start with one of mine which I know is inevitably going to annoy a handful of people: I find George/Jōji boring.
Granted, his story starts out interestingly enough, with him having a complete polar shift of personality after Minnie drowns... but, after that he just feels like a recycled Kyoushiro - a bad tempered, white dog covered in scars from a lifetime of fighting spurred by a traumatic past who is also occasionally used as a comic relief. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate or particularly dislike George... but I just find his character so boring.
:heart: :sirius: I Love Sirius :sirius: :heart:



:riki: :gin: :john: :ben: :gdwcross: :moss: :akame: :terry: :hakuromanga: :mukonga: :thousanddragon: :gaia: :weed: :ken: :kagetora: :jerome: :saheiji: :akakama: :gdwokotetsu: :masamune: :monsoon: :bearchibi: :gama2: :jumbo:

User avatar
Digsu
Legend
Legend
Posts: 3100
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Digsu » Fri May 10, 2019 5:57 pm

I like Sasuke as a character

For all his faults, he's an extremely loyal friend and good at thinking on his feet. Personally, I think his biggest issues are his... very questionable attempts at humor (namely the poop/pee and "wannabe-womanizer" jokes), but that side of him has been a lot less prominent after GDW.



Banners and avatar by me

User avatar
Dragon
Seasoned
Seasoned
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: Nohr
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Dragon » Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 pm

@Wolpard, I agree with this one too xD It's a really interesting design choice too and Kyoshiro works it in a lot of scenes like these:
https://ginga.fandom.com/wiki/File:615px-Kyohiyuuuu.jpg
https://ginga.fandom.com/wiki/File:Kyou ... _vol32.png
https://ginga.fandom.com/wiki/File:Kyou ... page33.png

It's just that over time, Yoshi made him look more comical than cool, so they started looking weirder than stylish.

@Sirius, thanks! ^^ And sadly agree ;o; His intro was so cool, and he was even said to be as strong as Ben... and then he became background dog like IMMEDIATELY. He got knocked down by Kagetora's nephews, who were definitely younger than him, easily... that's not being stronger than Ben.

@Digsu I definitely appreciate Sasuke's cleverness and kindness when he's not being used for gross comedy.

--

I actually like Masamune's human hair LOL. I know it makes no sense, but hey, Pink Dragon works it and gets away with it, and I think Masamune does too!
Image

Online
User avatar
Wolpard
Friend
Friend
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Wolpard » Fri May 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Dragon wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 pm
I actually like Masamune's human hair LOL. I know it makes no sense, but hey, Pink Dragon works it and gets away with it, and I think Masamune does too!
I agree! I think his do is stylish. And like you said, he isn't the only one with "human-hair". One of Tenka's subordinates also has hair tufts, and lest we forget the Kouga mohawk. ...though definitely less prominent than Pink's luscious locks.

User avatar
Pumpkin Wolf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Pumpkin Wolf » Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 am

I am going to get SO MUCH crap for this but here we go. I don't like Weed that much. At least anime Weed. I haven't gotten around to reading GDW yet (still finishing GNG), so I can't comment on that, but I'm 10000000% sure that manga Weed is WAY better. I just feel like he doesn't have that much character development.
please don't attack me
I still love him, obviously, it's more just of how he took on Gin's god-like qualities so quickly. :KRUMP:

(also as a side note everyone's like WoW YOu LoOk So MUcH LikE YouR DaD like duh sherlock he's a brindle-colored akita and coincidentally his dad is also a brindle-colored akita wow funny how genetics work)
:john: :chutora: :kyoushiro: :riki: :FLY: :akame: :kurotora: :gin: :akatora:
Image
banner by Gingastar

Online
User avatar
Wolpard
Friend
Friend
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Wolpard » Sat May 11, 2019 2:43 am

Pumpkin Wolf wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 am
(also as a side note everyone's like WoW YOu LoOk So MUcH LikE YouR DaD like duh sherlock he's a brindle-colored akita and coincidentally his dad is also a brindle-colored akita wow funny how genetics work)
Also Yoshi doesn't even bother to give him a different face from Gin when they're both adults. The only giveaway is Gin's scars. I don't want to think about how Yoshi would have drawn fully grown up Sirirus.

Image

Image

Granted... I guess Yoshi kinda has an issue with same-face syndrome for a lot of his characters. It's just worse for Gin and Weed since they have the same markings and colors. Sirius just looks exactly like Weed before he got his fully adult-ified eyes. (Joe is also an offender)

User avatar
Pumpkin Wolf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Pumpkin Wolf » Sat May 11, 2019 2:59 am

Wolpard wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:43 am
Pumpkin Wolf wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 am
(also as a side note everyone's like WoW YOu LoOk So MUcH LikE YouR DaD like duh sherlock he's a brindle-colored akita and coincidentally his dad is also a brindle-colored akita wow funny how genetics work)
Granted... I guess Yoshi kinda has an issue with same-face syndrome for a lot of his characters. It's just worse for Gin and Weed since they have the same markings and colors. Sirius just looks exactly like Weed before he got his fully adult-ified eyes. (Joe is also an offender)
honestly same-face-syndrome is rough, especially with dogs. I mostly draw Shepherds and Mals, so I have to take care to give them, like, a distinct facial marking or eye color or something to differentiate XD but yeah I mean... the style he has is very sfs prone, I think. It's a very basic style, given how much work he has to put into it and how time-consuming it is even with a more simple style, poor guy
:john: :chutora: :kyoushiro: :riki: :FLY: :akame: :kurotora: :gin: :akatora:
Image
banner by Gingastar

User avatar
Kasi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 4967
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:34 am

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Kasi » Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 am

I don't care that GB died.

... Oh did she just say that?!

He and Kyoushiro and Sasuke were becoming to comically annoying after the Hougen arc for me.
Image
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW: Volumes 20 and 21 now available!

User avatar
Dragon
Seasoned
Seasoned
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: Nohr
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Dragon » Sat May 11, 2019 5:07 am

Kasi wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 am
I don't care that GB died.

... Oh did she just say that?!
WHOA.
that's a big one LOL


I don't care for Cross and think Lydia pulls off the 'strong female' role better.
Cross just...failed so many times. I think the only time I was actually proud of her was when she attacked Hougen to protect Ben and Jouji. That was the cutest thing ever and she took the hit like a champ.
Besides that, she just constantly was all bark and no bite (Yoshi's fault, I know) and is used a lot to fangirl over some characters. I'm not sure if others have seen it, but I really hate those instances: already was a mother, then gets with Ben and gets pregnant, then apparently finds Musashi charming and blushes at him, and then that thing with Unsai... it's just a little unfaithful feeling and it's hard to see her as a role model.

Also, I don't mind Jerome's suicidal ways at all. People find it annoying of him, but in the world of Ginga, something about it is sorta cool in a samurai way or something to me >o>
Image

Online
User avatar
Wolpard
Friend
Friend
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Wolpard » Sat May 11, 2019 6:17 am

Dragon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:07 am
Also, I don't mind Jerome's suicidal ways at all. People find it annoying of him, but in the world of Ginga, something about it is sorta cool in a samurai way or something to me >o>
TBH I kinda just wish he died like he did in the anime. I thought that scene was really emotional and it makes me mad he didn't die in the manga. Sorry Jerome.

Though I'm not sure if that opinion is actually unpopular or not. Seeing as it almost opposes yours its probably not. XD

User avatar
Sketch-Shepherd
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Sketch-Shepherd » Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 am

Chutora is overrated and not that great.

He and Kurotora seem to be the top two most popular of the Kai brothers, and while I get why Kurotora gets the most love, I honestly don't get why Chutora gets as much attention as he does. To me he has so little personality compared to the other two Kai brothers, yet in my early days of the Ginga fandom he alone somehow always made it to people's lists of favorite Ginga characters and even had entire videos/tributes/merchandise centered around him.

Also probably doubles as an unpopular opinion that Akatora doesn't get enough love. Seriously, he's the only one of the Kai brothers that actually went out with a bang. He played a HUGE part in helping take down Akakabuto which is a more dignified way to go than Chutora's random-ass disappearance. Or is it BECAUSE of Chutora's disappearance that fans wanted to give him more that canon didn't? I really don't know.

Online
User avatar
Wolpard
Friend
Friend
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Wolpard » Sat May 11, 2019 6:33 am

Sketch-Shepherd wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 am
He and Kurotora seem to be the top two most popular of the Kai brothers, and while I get why Kurotora gets the most love, I honestly lso probably doubles as an unpopular opinion that Akatora doesn't get enough love. Seriously, he's the only one of the Kai brothers that actually went out with a bang. He played a HUGE part in helping take down Akakabuto which is a more dignified way to go than Chutora's random-ass disappearance. Or is it BECAUSE of Chutora's disappearance that fans wanted to give him more that canon didn't? I really don't know.
Aka is my favorite of the Kai bros so I approve of this statement!

User avatar
Tesshin-san
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Tesshin-san » Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 am

Not sure if this is unpopular or not really(I've just discussed this with fans who think the opposite) but why on earth is the Akita Inu portrayed as the best bear dog? Have the author even met an Akita Inu? Any karelian bear dog would whoop the Ou army's asses regarding bears. Also all the random "hunting" dogs that aren't even used for hunting anymore or they're used to hunt small game and all of a sudden they hunt bears or boars? It's so weird.
Image

Online
User avatar
Wolpard
Friend
Friend
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Wolpard » Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 am

Tesshin-san wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 am
Not sure if this is unpopular or not really(I've just discussed this with fans who think the opposite) but why on earth is the Akita Inu portrayed as the best bear dog? Have the author even met an Akita Inu? Any karelian bear dog would whoop the Ou army's asses regarding bears. Also all the random "hunting" dogs that aren't even used for hunting anymore or they're used to hunt small game and all of a sudden they hunt bears or boars? It's so weird.
Akita's were originally bred for hunting bears/boars and dog fighting... though the breed has changed a lot since then and are now mainly bred as a companion breed. (And the dog fighting role has been replaced with Tosas since molosser breeds were introduced to Japan... and dog fights are still legal.)

Also I think it's mainly because Akitas are common in Japan whereas I don't even know if there are much Karelian bear dogs there I dont I've ever seen one in the US either. Though I agree that there are definitely more suitable breeds considering modern Akitas don't have the same "drive" they were originally bred for anymore. XD I definitely think Yoshi is due to feature a Karelian bear dog and IIRC Andy was originally going to be one but he decided to make him John's nephew instead.

User avatar
Sketch-Shepherd
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Sketch-Shepherd » Sat May 11, 2019 7:49 am

Wolpard wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 am
Tesshin-san wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 am
Not sure if this is unpopular or not really(I've just discussed this with fans who think the opposite) but why on earth is the Akita Inu portrayed as the best bear dog? Have the author even met an Akita Inu? Any karelian bear dog would whoop the Ou army's asses regarding bears. Also all the random "hunting" dogs that aren't even used for hunting anymore or they're used to hunt small game and all of a sudden they hunt bears or boars? It's so weird.
Akita's were originally bred for hunting bears/boars and dog fighting... though the breed has changed a lot since then and are now mainly bred as a companion breed. (And the dog fighting role has been replaced with Tosas since molosser breeds were introduced to Japan... and dog fights are still legal.)

Also I think it's mainly because Akitas are common in Japan whereas I don't even know if there are much Karelian bear dogs there I dont I've ever seen one in the US either. Though I agree that there are definitely more suitable breeds considering modern Akitas don't have the same "drive" they were originally bred for anymore. XD I definitely think Yoshi is due to feature a Karelian bear dog and IIRC Andy was originally going to be one but he decided to make him John's nephew instead.
I would have killed to see a Caucasian Ovcharka/Caucasian Shepherd dog character in Ginga. THOSE are actual bear dogs who would have defeated Akakabuto much easier than any of the Akitas. XD Also they're freaking huge.

Though we were robbed to have Andy as a Karelian bear dog. >.< I might make a Karelian OC just to compensate.

User avatar
Dragon
Seasoned
Seasoned
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: Nohr
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Dragon » Sat May 11, 2019 3:29 pm

@Wolpard, honestly yeah I wish Jerome had his rest too. I hate that he got to finally better his life and mind and then Yoshi kills his Wife and half his kids ;;; it's like he has a thing for Jerome's suffering.

@sketch-shepherd, WHAT. Chutora is that popular!? As much as I like making theories on him being a villain, there's no way he's passing Akatora on my fav list xD cause at the end of the day, Chutora was given nothing of a personality the whole time. He's cool in the trio, but never gave me a reason to find him cool as an individual.
Sad, cause he has scenes like Chutora vs Cross, being kidnapped by Bill, and the journey with Gin and Smith, but I didn't know what Yoshi was trying to make him to be, so... it was kinda weak.
Image

User avatar
Pumpkin Wolf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Pumpkin Wolf » Sat May 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Dragon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:29 pm
@Wolpard, honestly yeah I wish Jerome had his rest too. I hate that he got to finally better his life and mind and then Yoshi kills his Wife and half his kids ;;; it's like he has a thing for Jerome's suffering.

@sketch-shepherd, WHAT. Chutora is that popular!? As much as I like making theories on him being a villain, there's no way he's passing Akatora on my fav list xD cause at the end of the day, Chutora was given nothing of a personality the whole time. He's cool in the trio, but never gave me a reason to find him cool as an individual.
Sad, cause he has scenes like Chutora vs Cross, being kidnapped by Bill, and the journey with Gin and Smith, but I didn't know what Yoshi was trying to make him to be, so... it was kinda weak.
Chutora villain theories? I've never heard any, do tell! :surprisegin: Maybe you have a topic on it or you can redirect me to one. And agree, Chutora was never my favorite Kai brother. Probably Kurotora? Although I do love Akatora and the sacrifice he made in GNG.
:john: :chutora: :kyoushiro: :riki: :FLY: :akame: :kurotora: :gin: :akatora:
Image
banner by Gingastar

User avatar
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin
Posts: 7116
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Arano » Sat May 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Brace yourselves.

Kurotora is overrated and I'm not sure why he's alive in TLW.

(PS Excellent topic idea)

(PPS Astor please forgive me)

Post Reply

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”