GDW lip-synching guide studio sheet

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Digsu
Legend
Legend

GDW lip-synching guide studio sheet

Post by Digsu »

A few years ago I bought a lot of GDW studio sheets from YJA and among them was this.

(larger version)

I assume it's some GDW-specific guideline for the animators, but I'd really like to know what it is exactly. My very rough guess based on 口 (mouth) showing up here and there is that it's supposed to be a rough guideline on how to draw dog mouths.

I considered posting this in the general questions topic, but I figured its existence itself would be a neat piece of Ginga trivia even without a translation of what it is. So I made it its own topic.

also apologies about the title being complete word salad.
Last edited by Digsu on Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Re: GDW mouth-drawing-guide(?) studio sheet

Post by Shiruba »

I suppose this makes sense. Yoshi's style is vastly different from other manga artists and it wouldn't look right if the dogs were drawn in a more recognisable style. Yet somehow they still managed to botch it in some episodes XD
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Re: GDW lip-synching guide studio sheet

Post by Digsu »

HEY GUESS WHO DUG THIS TOPIC UP AGAIN AND DECIDED TO FINALLY FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HECK THIS THING IS

So yeah I found this topic again and was reminded this thing existed, so I decided I might as well translate it, if only to sate my own curiosity from five years ago.

Turns out, it's a guide sheet for doing lip-synching for dogs:
So in case you've ever wondered why dogs in the GDW anime seem to always stand around or talk without ever fully closing their mouths... it's because it was literally part of the animation guidelines! (The trash can lid comparison made me laugh a little ngl.)

Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Thanks for translating it! This is so cool to read!

I find it so funny to see the instructions telling animators not to close the mouth completely otherwise it looks like opening and closing a garbage can, only for the next line to say it may be okay sometimes XD
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Kin drawing by Sandatora
4townie
Upholder
Upholder

Post by 4townie »

Digsu wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:48 pm HEY GUESS WHO DUG THIS TOPIC UP AGAIN AND DECIDED TO FINALLY FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HECK THIS THING IS

So yeah I found this topic again and was reminded this thing existed, so I decided I might as well translate it, if only to sate my own curiosity from five years ago.

Turns out, it's a guide sheet for doing lip-synching for dogs:
So in case you've ever wondered why dogs in the GDW anime seem to always stand around or talk without ever fully closing their mouths... it's because it was literally part of the animation guidelines! (The trash can lid comparison made me laugh a little ngl.)
This is interesting to read, thanks for translating! :bon1:
:orion: :gin: :riki: :ben: :monsoon: :bon: :yukimura: :sniper:
Sandatora
Translator
Translator

Post by Sandatora »

I literally was looking at this topic two days before you posted and was thinking about bringing it up in LOTPW! XD

This was really interesting to read, thank you for translating!! :tfw_bella2:

Icon by VyzWares on Twitter!
🌺 Art topic | Oc generator & Picrew | Art Fight | Toyhouse | Tumblr | Art Tumblr 🌺

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”