Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: The Last Wars.
Uru
Friend
Friend

Re: Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

Post by Uru »

Digsu wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 am
Gingastar wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 am
Akame wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:45 am am I the only one who would have thought it'd be cool if Orion actually fought Monsoon with bamboo instead of a sickle? lol

there would be no "we lost it! pass it here! it's stuck in Monsoons hide!" stuff but I mean...who would miss that 😂 i
I wish that maybe Orion or Akame would have been in charge of the sickle, and then characters like Rigel, Andy, Yamabiko, etc would have had bamboo to use against Monsoon. After all didn’t they train with it, or at least attempt to? We were already shown that just biting Monsoon didn’t do anything, so the fact that they only brought one weapon to fight a tank like Monsoon (who, again, could not be hurt with teeth or claws) is rather mind boggling.
You'd think they could have also just gone and stolen some more sickles (or other bladed weapons) during their six-month training montage, but I guess that'd make too much sense :THOT:

Also why aren't Rigel and Yamabiko trying their Ningatou on Monsoon, if it can kill a dog in one hit it should at least be capable of doing him some damage.
Didn't Rigel also kill one bear with Ningatou? I think he used it when Sasuke was injured.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Uru wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:11 pm
Digsu wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 am
Gingastar wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 am

I wish that maybe Orion or Akame would have been in charge of the sickle, and then characters like Rigel, Andy, Yamabiko, etc would have had bamboo to use against Monsoon. After all didn’t they train with it, or at least attempt to? We were already shown that just biting Monsoon didn’t do anything, so the fact that they only brought one weapon to fight a tank like Monsoon (who, again, could not be hurt with teeth or claws) is rather mind boggling.
You'd think they could have also just gone and stolen some more sickles (or other bladed weapons) during their six-month training montage, but I guess that'd make too much sense :THOT:

Also why aren't Rigel and Yamabiko trying their Ningatou on Monsoon, if it can kill a dog in one hit it should at least be capable of doing him some damage.
Didn't Rigel also kill one bear with Ningatou? I think he used it when Sasuke was injured.
Yeah he did, but I guess no one else can be selfless and cool than Orion. Not even Rigel, despite also being in this family and on covers lol
even Zion has more screen-time than Rigel at this point.

ImageImage
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Hi all. I hope you're ready to read three chapters, because the last 3 chapters of TLW are up!! :EXCITE: :EXCITE: :EXCITE:

Dragon helped typeset 174 and 175. She works fast!

174 - https://fantasscans.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... r-174.html
175 - https://fantasscans.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... r-175.html
176 - https://fantasscans.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... r-176.html

Whoo, what a ride!
I'll post my final thoughts about this in a couple of hours.
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Thank you, Fanta, Dragon, and FDQ!!

-----

Wow, what a ride is right. I have so many things to say!

Chapter 174:
"I'll kill that guy, even if it costs my brothers life"
Er... Orion... You're my favorite character tied with Sirius but that was just super fucked up? Even for him, imo.

Chapter 175:
Way too much narration
"Monsoon calmly put Sirius down" ...Yes? We literally just saw that in the panels we observed :'D

Orion's speech at the end of the chapter was unexpected...? It felt like it came out of nowhere, but to me it was interesting at least. It was interesting to hear Orion admit that he was immature and dumb, but still super out of nowhere.

Chapter 176:
Wow... what a super abrupt ending? Like I thought the fight with Monsoon was cool but like... They just come out of the water and its over. No real reaction to Sirius dying or anything.

Still saddened by Sirius death. I feel bad for him, and how it looked like he really did struggle emotionally and physically.

I'm glad to see that the Ohu Army didn't trample Sirius as they ran into battle (like initially thought?) and that they jumped over him instead.
Last edited by Gingastar on Thu May 30, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Kin drawing by Sandatora
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I knew the ending to TLW was rushed but damn that is VERY abrupt.... and of course ends on a bad note.

But regardless, thank you Fanta and Dragon!!
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Thank you Fanta and Dragon, that was super efficient and hard work!

174: anyone who doubted that Orion prioritizes personal revenge over his brother's life, well, there you go... Even the most rash ones think it's heartless to disregard Sirius' life.

175: Just occured to me, why are there so many misunderstandings between Monsoon and the Ou army when TWO translators are around? Also talk about your actions contradicting your words. Orion's character has become nonsensical. Also, the narrator sure likes to pick and choose when to be omniscient and when to go all "Who knows what was going through his mind???"

176: Where the hell are the Kama bros???
icon by azzai
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I honestly don't know if Orion's sudden speech about him knowing his own faults is a rushed attempt at making him sound more reasonable or if the stress and adrenaline is making him a bit crazy. (though knowing what happens in GDN, I guess it could be the latter) "I don't care if my brother dies! But make sure he doesn't because he's gotta be the next leader!"

"If you'd just get to know him...!" Yeah, this is 100% a domestic abuse scenario now isn't it.

Why does Andy know what the sea smells like? :THOT:

Also I really think Monsoon should be reacting to being soaked in salt water when his entire body is covered in open wounds.

Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

Those chapters are much better than the filler type we were getting before hand. I think the art in particular was quite powerful in certain panels.
And a huuuuge congratulations Fanta for completing The Last Wars! Where would we be without you! (after volume 9 I guess it's official though XD)

I love how Sirius calls out Monsoon's bullshit about stepping on him before. While I think Monsoon is making some big changes, he's also very confused and still volatile and I like that Sirius isn't totally blind to that despite believing in his values. To be honest, I don't think Sirius really even likes Monsoon because of the things he's done, but having a positive relation with him is vital to his goals.

Unsai stating they should quit the throw-down since Monsoon doesn't seem like he would be a threat with Sirius around.. probably needed to say that well beforehand. This throw-down was always about getting revenge. It's kinda weird hearing Gin argue 'I don't think Sirius will survive with those injuries"so blankly. They believe he's going to die but they hardly seem to care :THOT:
Meanwhile Orion is a total mixed bag, I guess his order of priorities is this:
1. Kill Monsoon for revenge even if it endangers or kills Sirius
2. Save Sirius, even if I die
3. Save my own life if I'm not killed during priority #1.

The ending really does come of as a tragedy, certainty makes me more interested to see how Noah will develop!

---------

Haha, great one HR XD
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Hyzenthlay Rose wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:13 am Image
Accurate :surprisegin:

Also I forgot to mention this in my previous post but holy crap that ending narration. Usually Ginga endings are all "the heroes are doing well, peace is restored for now", but this one is just borderline nihilistic. I guess it's just further proof that TLW is grim as heck even by Ginga standards.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Legit, I think Yoshi just wanted to cram as much thought-provoking speeches and words as he could think of.
Notice how Orion says in chapter 174 that 'even if you do regret messing with us, I'll never forgive you'. So in the end, this ending was inevitable.

I'm really sad about how short that fight was, WTF. Maybe Yoshi is tired of bears. I enjoyed this new fresh idea, but I wish he cared a bit more so it could have been perfect.
Maybe Noah will be blood pumping c: I have faith!

edit: Also it was really fun being able to help out! If you need more help with typesetting, Fanta, you can always ask me cx

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I feel like I wouldnt be so upset about this very abrupt ending and short final fight if the other stuff from before hand didnt drag on for so long. Thinking about it more, the grim and abrupt ending could be very impactful or whatever but it just feels really out of nowhere considering how much everything else before this lasted lol.
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

Huge thank you to FDQ for the scans and Fanta and Dragon for the translations! ♡♡

Even though the end was very fast and felt lacking, I was surprisingly ok with it!
Orion once again brings up how he doesn't agree with how Ohu operates, implying he plans to leave. I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping Orion in the Ohu army are his family and friends.. I'm actually happy he was finally able to leave. Of course, if Sirius hadnt died Orion would have probably informed everyone about leaving. He didnt want to get stuck with the role of the heir! XD
Rigel was totally ignored.. as usual.. Was he not popular enough in GDW:O to get a role in TLW? I always prefered him out of the 3 since I found him interesting. I hope we get to see a lot of him in GDN!
Poor poor Sirius.. That was a painful death. I'm probably making a topic about him when the final missing chapters are translated (so I dont miss anything).
But Monsoon.. He is alive, no.. He MUST be alive. He dove away. Orion might have slashed his stomach but still.. I do hope he won't return as a villain though. Maybe he could be an example (maybe to Orion) to show what happens to people consumed by fear, anger and hatred?
I wonder what happens to Ohu's allies? Nokizaru Kenshin died, Unsai stopped believing in attacking Monsoon, and Orion, who was the main reason Yamabiko became Ohu's ally, left..!
Image Image
Beastface
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Beastface »

Thank you for the translations!
Digsu wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:26 am Also I forgot to mention this in my previous post but holy crap that ending narration. Usually Ginga endings are all "the heroes are doing well, peace is restored for now", but this one is just borderline nihilistic. I guess it's just further proof that TLW is grim as heck even by Ginga standards.
My thoughts exactly. I always thought the Russian war dog arc had a grim ending by Ginga standards, but even that had a peaceful and hopeful vibe to it despite the "war is futile" message. This is Greek tragedy levels of uncomfortable.

I'm kinda struggling to make sense out of it, though, because I don't know if I'm supposed to be rooting for Orion and co. here or if Takahashi just went real balls to the wall anti-war and deliberately painted a scene where no-one has the moral high ground. The narration makes me feel like it's the latter, but then again the focus on Orion and his speeches make it seem like his willing stupidity/brashness is supposed to be some sort of redeeming quality but I can't wrap my mind around how it would be in this scenario. Ugh, I don't know which is more confused, me or the writing.

Overall I am digging this ending, though. Even if it's abrupt, at least I got an emotion out of it and a lot to analyze.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

TLW is such a tragedy in the Ginga-verse...

That Orion admit he's immature, is something I'm okay with, at least he's saying it and knows it.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you've put in to making reading TLW possible for all of us! and thank you Dragon for helping out as well, and all the scan providers!

WOW. that last chapter seemed to be progressing as normal and then EXTREMELY SUDDENLY in the last 3 or 4 pages ended. I got whiplash reading this.

also;
:orion: - "I will kill that guy... Even if it costs my brothers life!"
a short while later...
:orion: - "My pansy-ass brother is dumb, but I'm dumber than he is! [...] That's why I want you to prioritise Sirius over me!"

make your mind up, kiddo! also, VERY annoyed at Weed through this whole series since he's done next to nothing, especially compared to Gin the rickety old man-- but I'm really annoyed at him saying he can't value any one of his kids over the others EXCEPT UHMM what about when you straight up wanted to evict Sirius from the pack? wouldn't that have endangered his life?
:akame:
Known as ep or eraserplains, active on Bluesky and Tumblr
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Regarding Monsoon's fate, normally the body not being shown and the protagonist(?) just going "yup, he's dead as hell" would mean that he's definitely not dead and he'll be back. However, because the ending is so incredibly rushed, I honestly can't tell if it's an intentional foreshadowing or if Yoshi just ran out of pages to properly discuss his death.

The fact that GDN's first villain is strongly hinted to be a canine complicates the matter even more. Is Yoshi saving Monsoon for a later arc in the series, so that his comeback would feel more shocking? Is Monsoon really dead? Or is all the foreshadowing in GDN's first chapter just part of a massive fakeout, the evil dogs are just a distraction, and Monsoon is going to be the real villain?

Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

AHHH ALL THREE FINAL CHAPTERS??? I'm ready, but I'm not ready. X_X

174: Orion, you're a monster. Sirius is suffering so much for his ideals and yet you're prepared to sacrifice him for what you want?! Dude, I hate my own big brother but that doesn't mean I wish anything bad on him! That's just sociopathic. Screw you, Orion. Kind of makes me wonder why he's apparently taking Sirius' death so hard in GDN at all. He's clearly so emotionally unstable that he's willing to say he doesn't care if his own brother lives or dies. What about your father and grandfather's feelings? They still have some semblance of care. Why don't you consider how harm could affect people other than yourself you little psychopath? :OUT:

175: :orion: "My brother could die soon!", "Save my brother over me!", "Prioritise Sirius over me!" ... So, do you care or not? Or are you so similarly psychologically unbalanced that you yourself don't know? I'm so confused by Orion's shoehorned change of heart in this chapter. :derpgin:
If I'm going to continue being unashamedly honest; this chapter reeks of a writer's impatience and desperation to finish. Also, since we already know that the Ohu army doesn't prioritise in helping Sirius, then this apparent moment of character development for Orion was for naught.

176: Image Oh Sirius, you endured so much in the name of peace... you've lived spectacularly. You were too pure for this filthy world. You truly deserve your slumber in the Elysian Fields. I'm proud to call you my paramount favourite. Rest In Peace. :cry:

Look at all those kind, caring, honourable males jumping over a fatally wounded friend and totally prioritising him just like their dear valiant leader said... :EMPTY:
"Don't let Orion do all the work!" YOU'VE ALL BEEN DOING JUST THAT FOR 98% OF THIS SERIES!
Phew... okay, my saltiness has peaked. I'm done. XD

Fanta, you deserve a medal for all your hard work in translating this series! Same for everybody else who has committed to providing us TLW. You guys are amazing! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Aw, this really was a tragic ending. I feel like it's giving out this anti-war message, how one (Orion) must do his duty even through it ends with blood & tears.
Also Sirius ''there's no way I could be wrong''. -_- What a self-absorbed attitude.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:26 am Regarding Monsoon's fate, normally the body not being shown and the protagonist(?) just going "yup, he's dead as hell" would mean that he's definitely not dead and he'll be back. However, because the ending is so incredibly rushed, I honestly can't tell if it's an intentional foreshadowing or if Yoshi just ran out of pages to properly discuss his death.

The fact that GDN's first villain is strongly hinted to be a canine complicates the matter even more. Is Yoshi saving Monsoon for a later arc in the series, so that his comeback would feel more shocking? Is Monsoon really dead? Or is all the foreshadowing in GDN's first chapter just part of a massive fakeout, the evil dogs are just a distraction, and Monsoon is going to be the real villain?

Aaagghhh, so true. The last chapter was already so rushed and ended outta nowhere. However, it looked like Monsoon dived down before he disappeared..? The narrator announced Sirius dead but not Monsoon... Sirius's last words were "all that war bring is grudges" so if Monsoon lived and either attack later or have kids, that theme will be there.
Personally, I'm hoping for a hippie Monsoon that learned how to speak dog LOL

ImageImage

Return to “Ginga: The Last Wars”