Ginga confessions

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Ginga confessions

Post by Troll Berserker »

Do you have any weird or funny Ginga confessions? Things you think or believed about Yoshihiro Takahashi's works?

Here are mine:

After first watch of GNG I believed that Smith is a female and I was very suprised to see his fuly masculine character in GDW.

I did't even know English that much when I first watched GNG. I had no idea waht was Cross so shy about. It turned out she was blushing at pregnancy remarks but hey, they didn't even show it in her appearance.

I believed that Kirikaze was Akame's son.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Re: Ginga confessions

Post by Kaiken »

Kirikaze WAS Akame's son. And so were Jinnai and the rest of them. Akame did just literally send his own children to their deaths.

My confession is that I literally learned English by watching GDW.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
caninesrock
Supreme
Supreme

Post by caninesrock »

I find the GNG anime kind of boring and prefer the GDW anime.
I also prefer the anime to the manga.
Bolty
Potential
Potential

Post by Bolty »

At first, watching the GDW anime, I believed that Weed was a female :OUT:

:akatora: :ben: :benizakura: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

I prefer GDW anime to manga. I think Yoshi tends to make his mangas too complicated with too many characters and focuses it becomes confusing. Plus let's be honest - his writing is not that good to bear multiple plots and characters.
This is why Ialso prefer GNG because it's more linear.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Troll Berserker wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:31 am I prefer GDW anime to manga. I think Yoshi tends to make his mangas too complicated with too many characters and focuses it becomes confusing. Plus let's be honest - his writing is not that good to bear multiple plots and characters.
This is why Ialso prefer GNG because it's more linear.
Veeerry true. The anime really irons some of the wrinkles that either made no sense, weren't that important, or was just complicated for no reason. If the anime was animated better, it would definitely be more loved and accepted.

ImageImage
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

I actually prefer some of the anime designs over the manga designs; for example, Kaibutsu in GDW anime is this huge, powerful "beast" (really earning him his title of "monster") while in the manga he's just slightly larger than some of the dogs. However, I don't dislike his manga design, and I think both instances work for where they're at in the story.

And, while not exactly in-universe, I wish Yoshi had expanded upon the Kacchuu no Senshi Gamu universe; I think the concept was awesome and I want to see more... (too bad I'll have to settle for my fanfiction, lol).
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

When I first started watching Ginga Nagareboshi Gin I believed that Daisuke was Gohei's grandson.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I watched the GDW anime before GNG because my online friend who recommended Ginga to me way back when listed GDW first and I thought GNG was going to be the sequel to GDW. Whoops.
Shining Sirius wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:02 pm When I first started watching Ginga Nagareboshi Gin I believed that Daisuke was Gohei's grandson.
Same here! It doesn't help that Gohei is referred to as "Grandpa".
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

Shining Sirius wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:02 pm When I first started watching Ginga Nagareboshi Gin I believed that Daisuke was Gohei's grandson.
I thought the same thing for such a long time xD
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

I only learnt recently that he wasn't Gohei's grandson ;_;

I thought that the GDW anime was better than the manga. The manga just became a struggle after a while and I stopped enjoying it. The anime was just long enough, and while it was dumb and shallow it was still a lot of fun.

I still refer to the Koga dogs as being Shikoku Inu lmao
Unbothered. Moisturized. Happy. In My Lane. Focused. Flourishing

Bear photo by Dennis Field
Av by OsoAventuroso
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Morti wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:25 am I thought that the GDW anime was better than the manga. The manga just became a struggle after a while and I stopped enjoying it. The anime was just long enough, and while it was dumb and shallow it was still a lot of fun.
Me too!

From a pure story standpoint, the anime cut out so much useless and outright contrived stuff (like Gin and John being unaware of their body doubles or Tesshin never having seen the Battouga himself) while also adding some much needed scenes (like Kaibutsu attacking Ohu in the beginning instead of him being introduced right the hell out of nowhere after several pointless red herrings about the Paradise's troubled internal politics, the GNG flashback explaining Akakabuto's defeat and Gin's rise to leadership, and showing Hougen and Genba making the "when I die, I want to die by your fangs" pact instead of it just being vaguely alluded to) that it's a lot more interesting and easy to follow than the manga version.

By the time Gin was taken to Gajou they were almost entirely making the whole thing out of whole cloth and imho they did so beautifully. Him getting saved due to a daring rescue spearheaded by his son instead of being urged to get the hell out of there by the ghosts of John and Smith that are heavily implied to be his hallucinations and getting saved by a random truck driver whose relative happens to be a vet is a lot more heroic and less... random, to put it nicely. It even gave Toubei's already-awesome death scene even more weight, as he ended up sacrificing his life to ensure Gin's rescue rather than getting killed for some random kid whose only purpose in life was to show he's not evil anymore.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE OLD OHU SOLDIERS RECLAIMING GAJOU INSTEAD OF IT GETTING BLOWN UP LIKE IT'S SUDDENLY A MICHAEL BAY MOVIE LIKE GOSH

I'm sorry I just really love how the GDW anime handled the story I could talk about it so much.

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Digsu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 am I'm sorry I just really love how the GDW anime handled the story I could talk about it so much.
I definitely agree, though I do think the manga has its merits. :p I just wish the Anime was animated better... Studio Deen never fails to disappoint with its visuals.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Digsu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 am It even gave Toubei's already-awesome death scene even more weight, as he ended up sacrificing his life to ensure Gin's rescue rather than getting killed for some random kid whose only purpose in life was to show he's not evil anymore.
I agree with a lot f things, but here are you talking about the doberman Takeshi? Was he evil or did I misunderstand?
icon by azzai
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Atha wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:56 pm
Digsu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 am It even gave Toubei's already-awesome death scene even more weight, as he ended up sacrificing his life to ensure Gin's rescue rather than getting killed for some random kid whose only purpose in life was to show he's not evil anymore.
I agree with a lot f things, but here are you talking about the doberman Takeshi? Was he evil or did I misunderstand?
I meant that Takeshi's main reason for existing was to show that Toubei wasn't evil anymore.

Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Digsu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 am By the time Gin was taken to Gajou they were almost entirely making the whole thing out of whole cloth and imho they did so beautifully. Him getting saved due to a daring rescue spearheaded by his son instead of being urged to get the hell out of there by the ghosts of John and Smith that are heavily implied to be his hallucinations and getting saved by a random truck driver whose relative happens to be a vet is a lot more heroic and less... random, to put it nicely.
Well despite prefering anime story to manga, that was the bit I hated. I liked that in the manga Gin was shown to have some spirit in him and being able to crawl himself out despite his wounds instead of just laying there without a plan and telling everyone to leave him to die.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Troll Berserker wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:21 am
Digsu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 am By the time Gin was taken to Gajou they were almost entirely making the whole thing out of whole cloth and imho they did so beautifully. Him getting saved due to a daring rescue spearheaded by his son instead of being urged to get the hell out of there by the ghosts of John and Smith that are heavily implied to be his hallucinations and getting saved by a random truck driver whose relative happens to be a vet is a lot more heroic and less... random, to put it nicely.
Well despite prefering anime story to manga, that was the bit I hated. I liked that in the manga Gin was shown to have some spirit in him and being able to crawl himself out despite his wounds instead of just laying there without a plan and telling everyone to leave him to die.
Hmm, fair point. I still think that from a story perspective the rescue plot was a lot less contrived than "hallucinate two of your dead friends cheering you up, then stumble upon a random guy who takes you to a vet", but the latter does put Gin himself in a more positive light.

Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Digsu wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:39 am
Atha wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:56 pm
I meant that Takeshi's main reason for existing was to show that Toubei wasn't evil anymore.
Ah sorry for misunderstanding. TBH this is why I had wished that Takeshi would grow up to be an actual character deeply affected from Toube's death, and not disappear from the entire franchise, and also why Kyoushiro's erased character development (he promised to dead Toube to become a mature adult) bums me out.
icon by azzai
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Troll Berserker wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:21 am
That is a nice bit in the manga to me as well. Though I agree with Digsu's statement of liking the anime's direction much more than the manga's, what I liked about that scene was Gin seeing his best friends for the last time, since he never knew what happened to them. I hated that he just happened to stumble upon humans who knows a vet, but the phantom part was worth it. I almost think it would have been worth it if Gin rolled into a ravine at this point, because humans showing up definitely isn't new either, Yoshi lol

Something else I like is Weed going rouge to avenge his dad, who he thought died. Despite all his preaching and maturity, even he cracked to try avenging him.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:27 am Something else I like is Weed going rouge to avenge his dad, who he thought died. Despite all his preaching and maturity, even he cracked to try avenging him.
I definitely liked that, too, since it's one of the few times it actually shows Weed as human instead of the incorruptible paragon of goodness he's presented as 90% of the time.

Though I do feel like the timing could have been better - it literally happens in the same volume where he throws a tantrum over Jerome killing the hound spies and kicks him out of the pack. If there had been a bit more time between the two events, I feel it would have come off as less hypocritical on Weed's part.

Also that brings me to Jerome's exile, which I also feel was done much better in the anime - aside from it bringing closure to Lecter and Thunder's existence, the exile itself is treated with more gravity, and instead of Jerome and Weed reconciling within hours of their falling out Jerome chooses to honor Weed's orders and stick to the shadows with the Shikoku siblings, and in the end Jerome atones for his mistakes by saving Weed's life by sacrificing himself instead of just showing up and having Weed magically forgive him.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”