(Poll) Who would have made the right move? Jerome or Weed?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).

Did Weed or Jerome make the right move?

Jerome - Killing the enemies because they broke a promise in a time of war
96%
Weed - giving the scouts a second chance after they broke his promise
4%

Total votes: 23

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

(Poll) Who would have made the right move? Jerome or Weed?

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

As we know, in GDW Jerome killed two of Murder S' scouts, and because of that, Weed sent Jerome away.

When an enemy breaks a promise in a situation of war, Jerome did the right thing, but Weed's morals of forgivingness and giving second chances are a great thing to have in general.

In a situation of war, who do you think would have made the right call? (In the manga, Jerome did the deed, but who do you personally think would have done the right thing if Jerome hadn't done anything yet? Who's decision would then be the best?)
Have a nice day!
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Re: (Poll) Who would have made the right move? Jerome or Weed?

Post by YamaDora »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:58 pmWhen an enemy breaks a promise in a situation of war, Jerome did the right thing, but Weed's morals of forgivingness and giving second chances are a great thing to have in general.
The problem I have is that I can't completely side with either Weed or Jerome in this situation.

They both had a point: Jerome was right about the scouts breaking their promise and going back to tell what they knew, and Weed's compassion and forgiveness is something the war-filled world in Ginga needs more, but they both went to the extremes (Jerome directly disobeying Weed's orders and killing someone who was begging for mercy, and Weed innocently believing the scouts would keep their promise).

There just wasn't a simple, correct way out of this situation.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

YamaDora wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:15 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:58 pmWhen an enemy breaks a promise in a situation of war, Jerome did the right thing, but Weed's morals of forgivingness and giving second chances are a great thing to have in general.
The problem I have is that I can't completely side with either Weed or Jerome in this situation.

They both had a point: Jerome was right about the scouts breaking their promise and going back to tell what they knew, and Weed's compassion and forgiveness is something the war-filled world in Ginga needs more, but they both went to the extremes (Jerome directly disobeying Weed's orders and killing someone who was begging for mercy, and Weed innocently believing the scouts would keep their promise).

There just wasn't a simple, correct way out of this situation.
True enough.

Now that I think about it, why didn't they just keep them as prisoners? Wait, forget that. Weed would not do that, and Jerome would always follow Weed's orders, except this time, since he knew that these guys wouldn't keep their promise, so he tried to kill them behind Weed's back, so that Weed would not know about it.
Have a nice day!
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Siding with Jerome. My hatred for Weed aside, letting people who attempted to murder you twice is just a really stupid idea. Now, Jerome could've gone about it a different way instead of pretending to side with Weed just to go and kill Thunder and Lector, but at the end of the day, Jerome saved Weed from another attack. Weed should really know better that a war involves death, and it isn't all sunshine and roses. If that's a problem, then maybe he should get lost and become a pet, and let the army go to someone who won't act like a complete pansy.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

JazzyJazz wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:07 pm Siding with Jerome. My hatred for Weed aside, letting people who attempted to murder you twice is just a really stupid idea. Now, Jerome could've gone about it a different way instead of pretending to side with Weed just to go and kill Thunder and Lector, but at the end of the day, Jerome saved Weed from another attack. Weed should really know better that a war involves death, and it isn't all sunshine and roses. If that's a problem, then maybe he should get lost and become a pet, and let the army go to someone who won't act like a complete pansy.
Yeah, Weed should know better, but he doesn't make the choices without reason. Remember Blue? He saved Weed because Weed was kind to him, and because of that, Blue lost his life. I think Weed took that with him throughout his life, and thought that everyone can get a second chance, and that forgiving is the way to end wars (He ain't completely wrong. The only people you can forgive in the end, is your enemies, so he ain't completely wrong). But I just think that Weed should know better, and that in war, if you ever wanna give someone a chance, you can only give it once. If they break a promise, then you have to either kill them, or imprison/capture them, and keep an eye on them. Weed's morals are very good when it comes to being the leader of a paradise, but this situation was war, and therefore, I side with Jerome.
Have a nice day!
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

In the anime, Jerome killing Lector and Thunder makes much more sense. Not only were they assasins but they had already attacked the Ohu gang twice. And they had no plans about stopping.

In the manga? Jerome killed 2 scouts that Weed let go. Yes, they were going to stay on Hougen's side even though Weed made them promise not to get involved in the war. But Jerome going after them and killing them was wrong. He also betrayed Weed's trust. Weed letting all enemies just go was also a very stupid and naive idea.

Either trying to reform and or imprisoning the scouts would have worked better.. Rocket was already much faster than them and if the duo would have had little chances to escape.
Image Image
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Leomonade wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:17 pm In the anime, Jerome killing Lector and Thunder makes much more sense. Not only were they assasins but they had already attacked the Ohu gang twice. And they had no plans about stopping.

In the manga? Jerome killed 2 scouts that Weed let go. Yes, they were going to stay on Hougen's side even though Weed made them promise not to get involved in the war. But Jerome going after them and killing them was wrong. He also betrayed Weed's trust. Weed letting all enemies just go was also a very stupid and naive idea.

Either trying to reform and or imprisoning the scouts would have worked better.. Rocket was already much faster than them and if the duo would have had little chances to escape.
Yeah, I thought of the same. But still, Weed doesn't take prisoners. it would be the clever decision, but it would not be like Weed to do it. But still, Jerome killing the scouts in a situation of war, where Ohu can end up losing their paradise, I don't blame him.
Have a nice day!
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

To me, I'm siding half with Jerome (both anime and manga). Killed one and when Weed came he spared the 2nd one. As I think the one left wouldn't go back. Cuz as 2 or both brothers, they would've have dared to.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

I side with Jerome, but I think an alternate route would have been for Jerome to badly injure the dogs to the point where they can't walk anymore/for a while, wait until Weed and the others come to show that they were betraying Weed's promise and then see what Weed decides to do then: Keep them as prisoners/sway them to their side or leave them there to suffer in their injuries for their crime.

ImageImage
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

I think Weed should have told the foxhound brothers to join, and assign a few guard dogs to keep an eye on them, if he wanted them to live so badly without them revealing their secret.
icon by azzai
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Dragon wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:51 am I side with Jerome, but I think an alternate route would have been for Jerome to badly injure the dogs to the point where they can't walk anymore/for a while, wait until Weed and the others come to show that they were betraying Weed's promise and then see what Weed decides to do then: Keep them as prisoners/sway them to their side or leave them there to suffer in their injuries for their crime.
Tora wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:44 am To me, I'm siding half with Jerome (both anime and manga). Killed one and when Weed came he spared the 2nd one. As I think the one left wouldn't go back. Cuz as 2 or both brothers, they would've have dared to.
Atha wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:20 am I think Weed should have told the foxhound brothers to join, and assign a few guard dogs to keep an eye on them, if he wanted them to live so badly without them revealing their secret.
Well, it looks like most of us think the same. They should have been kept prisoner, and have Rocket have an eye on them (because of his Sonic legs).
Have a nice day!
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

Weed absolutely should have had a better plan, kept them as prisoners or let them know they are being watched, but what Jerome did was wrong. Killing and doing dirty work in the name of the Ouu army behind Weed's back? That tarnishes the Ouu army's honor and is of real disrespect to Weed. Disobeying and killing the second spy/Lector/Thunder directly in front of Weed when he orders Jerome to stop, well that just takes the cake. He really should have put his thoughts across to Weed if he was concerned about simply letting them go.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Kasi wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 am Weed absolutely should have had a better plan, kept them as prisoners or let them know they are being watched, but what Jerome did was wrong. Killing and doing dirty work in the name of the Ouu army behind Weed's back? That tarnishes the Ouu army's honor and is of real disrespect to Weed. Disobeying and killing the second spy/Lector/Thunder directly in front of Weed when he orders Jerome to stop, well that just takes the cake. He really should have put his thoughts across to Weed if he was concerned about simply letting them go.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I know Weed gets a lot of hate in the fandom for how he reacted, but honestly even if Weed wasn't being super responsible, Jerome absolutely was in the wrong too. I think this is definitely one of the better moments in GDW since it's so complex and there's a lot of moral ambiguity, so much so that the fandom can't even agree on what was the right thing to do.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Wolpard wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:17 am
Kasi wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 am Weed absolutely should have had a better plan, kept them as prisoners or let them know they are being watched, but what Jerome did was wrong. Killing and doing dirty work in the name of the Ouu army behind Weed's back? That tarnishes the Ouu army's honor and is of real disrespect to Weed. Disobeying and killing the second spy/Lector/Thunder directly in front of Weed when he orders Jerome to stop, well that just takes the cake. He really should have put his thoughts across to Weed if he was concerned about simply letting them go.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I know Weed gets a lot of hate in the fandom for how he reacted, but honestly even if Weed wasn't being super responsible, Jerome absolutely was in the wrong too. I think this is definitely one of the better moments in GDW since it's so complex and there's a lot of moral ambiguity, so much so that the fandom can't even agree on what was the right thing to do.
Yeah, it is really one hell of a moment. But still, if these were the only 2 decisions possible in the situation of war, who would you have chosen then?
Have a nice day!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 am
Yeah, it is really one hell of a moment. But still, if these were the only 2 decisions possible in the situation of war, who would you have chosen then?
TBH I think I lean more on Weed's side just because Jerome deliberately disobeyed him. Weed's intentions were more in line with my morals even if it was flawed in the situation.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Wolpard wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:25 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 am

TBH I think I lean more on Weed's side just because Jerome deliberately disobeyed him. Weed's intentions were more in line with my morals even if it was flawed in the situation.
That’s interesting. I would have thought about how many people that I could possibly save, and the risk of how many people that might end up dead depending on my decision. Then I would do what Jerome did. I know that he disobeyed Weed and that killing is against my morals, but doing what Jerome did would lower the chance drastically of the amounts of dead dogs and humans. If I did kill these two scouts, then Murder S and Hougen would never know where and what my plans would be. These two scouts would have told Murder S everything, and then the entire Ohu army would die, unless plot armor chose to say hello. Killing these two scouts would actually give Weed a chance to succeed against Murder S.

In the end, the right decision would be to capture them, but that was not a part of the question:)
Have a nice day!

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”