Densetsu Hozon no Sho: Ginga Yondai/The Chronicle of Silver Fang

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Re: Densetsu Hozon no Sho: Ginga Yondai/The Chronicle of Silver Fang

Post by Arano »

Wow my throwaway comment blew up quick! You lot are keen to make a zine, this could actually be great. I'll catch up with the discussion on Discord when I'm not buried under work!
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Oh wow, a new fanzine sounds exciting! 🤩

I missed out on the 'Calling All Soldiers' zine, so I'd love to grab maybe a digital copy when it comes to fruition! :EXCITE:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

This topic right now:

Also I'm still feeling petty (probably because I actually bought two of the damn things so I could unbind the other for scans *weep*) so here's an actual bearhound family tree in place of that half-assed thing the book has.

(LARGE)

Notice how none of the dogs have chunks missing from their heads :OUT:

Also go check out the Amazon page for it. It's currently got two reviews and both give it two stars. Seems like the Japanese fans don't like it any more than we do.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Lovley family tree!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

Digsu wrote: ↑Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:02 pm This topic right now:

Also I'm still feeling petty (probably because I actually bought two of the damn things so I could unbind the other for scans *weep*) so here's an actual bearhound family tree in place of that half-assed thing the book has.

(LARGE)

Also go check out the Amazon page for it. It's currently got two reviews and both give it two stars. Seems like the Japanese fans don't like it any more than we do.
We should make our own zine in the style of those books, with familly trees, maps, breeds, timelines and character bios!

Hahaha, just kidding...

...Unless... :THOT:
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Troll Berserker wrote: ↑Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:32 pm
Digsu wrote: ↑Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:02 pm This topic right now:

(LARGE)

We should make our own zine in the style of those books, with familly trees, maps, breeds, timelines and character bios!

Hahaha, just kidding...

...Unless... :THOT:
Psst check out the Discord we have actually started this haha
Image Image
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Should information in this book even be considered canon? I mean, it honestly creates more mistakes in breeds etc than gives answers.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

I see the Japanese reviews being critical too, and Japanese fans tend not to be confrontational... Are they complaining about the same things as we?
icon by azzai
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

Uru wrote: ↑Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:15 pm Should information in this book even be considered canon? I mean, it honestly creates more mistakes in breeds etc than gives answers.
I heard once that data books are usually only reviewed, not written by the author themselves. How well they are reviewed could be another matter all together, so personally, I take most data books pretty lightly in terms of what's canon or not.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Another baffling mistake the book has: Kurotora is said to be "the eldest son" (é•·ç”·) among the Kai brothers.

There's some precedence to this, as Akatora and Chutora refer to Kurotora as their big brother in their debut chapter (which is also the only time they're ever referred to as Akatorage etc. as well), but that's the only instance it ever happens and Akatora was swiftly retconned into being the eldest only a few chapters later, which, as we all know, has stuck ever since.

Not only that, Akatora's profile also says he's the eldest.

Chutora is correctly said to be the middle brother, in case your wondering.

I'm seriously starting to suspect that whoever wrote the character profiles isn't actually that knowledgeable about Ginga and just skimmed the series for every possible character mentioned, wrote short bios for them, and called it a day. That's honestly the only way I can imagine someone could make a basic mistake like this - they just read the Kai bros' debut chapter, saw that they were called Akatorage, Chutorage, and Kurotorage and that Kurotorage was the eldest, went "all right" and wrote it down without realizing that a) those names have probably literally never been used anywhere ever since that one chapter and b) Kurotora being the eldest didn't last much longer than those names did.

Also I only noticed this because I was checking out the review scores on Amazon again for the lulz and one of them mentioned this. I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear that it's still stuck at two stars.
Last edited by Digsu on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:27 pm Another baffling mistake the book has: Kurotora is said to be "the eldest son" (長男) among the Kai brothers.

There's some precedence to this, as Akatora and Chutora refer to Kurotora as their big brother in their debut chapter (which is also the only time they're ever referred to as Akatorage etc. as well), but that's the only instance it ever happens and Akatora was swiftly retconned into being the eldest only a few chapters later, which, as we all know, has stuck ever since.

I'm seriously starting to suspect that whoever wrote the character profiles isn't actually that knowledgeable about Ginga and just skimmed the series for every possible character mentioned, wrote short bios for them, and called it a day. That's honestly the only way I can imagine someone could make a basic mistake like this - they just read the Kai bros' debut chapter, saw that they were called Akatorage, Chutorage, and Kurotorage and that Kurotorage was the eldest, went "all right" and wrote it down without realizing that a) those names have probably literally never been used anywhere ever since that one chapter and b) Kurotora being the eldest didn't last much longer than those names did.

Also I only noticed this because I was checking out the review scores on Amazon again for the lulz. I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear that it's still stuck at two stars.
Daaaaaaaaang!!! O.O

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

My copy is sitting in a royal mail depot. Tempted to leave it there at this point lmao
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Arano wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:26 pm My copy is sitting in a royal mail depot. Tempted to leave it there at this point lmao
Get it for the few coloured pics XD

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Digsu wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:27 pm Another baffling mistake the book has: Kurotora is said to be "the eldest son" (長男) among the Kai brothers.

Also I only noticed this because I was checking out the review scores on Amazon again for the lulz and one of them mentioned this. I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear that it's still stuck at two stars.
I... am just flabbergasted that whoever wrote this got it so wrong, and even more so that an editor didn't pick up on it. :tfw_bella1:
This pretty much serves as conformation that the people involved have either beginner-level or zero knowledge of Ginga, and cared so little about this project that they didn't even get second opinions. I would almost vouch that Yoshi himself is having less and less to do with his own series at this point.

Also, it's both hilarious and sad that it's currently stuck with a two star rating on Amazon. :tfw_sirius2:
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Tora wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:33 pm
Arano wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:26 pm My copy is sitting in a royal mail depot. Tempted to leave it there at this point lmao
I just picked up my copy from the post office. For once I might actually remove a poster from a book since it's a wicked bloody shot of Akakabuto being decapitated. The other color pics I think I've all seen before though?

I need to get back into the Network youtube and should do a video about all the databooks and just slam this one XD
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Regnant wrote: ↑Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:07 pm
I just picked up my copy from the post office. For once I might actually remove a poster from a book since it's a wicked bloody shot of Akakabuto being decapitated. The other color pics I think I've all seen before though?

I need to get back into the Network youtube and should do a video about all the databooks and just slam this one XD
Sounds good to do XD

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Personally, I think the colored GDWO group shot is the highlight of the book. I know it's an old image, but it's nice and colorful and the original version is kinda rare so I appreciate them reprinting it.

I don't really understand the colored pages they included, though. I mean, random pages from the Hougen and Russian dogs arcs that barely show any characters and, in the case of the former, is mostly just various shades of gray and brown? Did they just pull two random chapter numbers from a hat to decide which to put in?

Even the reprints of old chapters (which still take up 85% of the actual freaking book, no, I absolutely refuse to let that go) could have felt slightly less pointless if they'd included colored pages in those.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: ↑Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:41 pm

Personally, I think the colored GDWO group shot is the highlight of the book. I know it's an old image, but it's nice and colorful and the original version is kinda rare so I appreciate them reprinting it.

I don't really understand the colored pages they included, though. I mean, random pages from the Hougen and Russian dogs arcs that barely show any characters and, in the case of the former, is mostly just various shades of gray and brown? Did they just pull two random chapter numbers from a hat to decide which to put in?

Even the reprints of old chapters (which still take up 85% of the actual freaking book, no, I absolutely refuse to let that go) could have felt slightly less pointless if they'd included colored pages in those.
Yea... I mean... if it could've had colour pages from all Goraku (as we know, no Shounen Jump) I would be thrilled!

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

The following is a written blog post criticizing the Ginga Yondai encyclopedia.
http://gen-sen1204.cocolog-nifty.com/bl ... fa701.html
(Blue text: my notes for clarity)
SPOILER
TLDR; Most of what has been said confirms our frustrations and gives a few specifics on why this sucks.
Welp, back to work. :KRUMP:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

fantachan wrote: ↑Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:39 pm The following is a written blog post criticizing the Ginga Yondai encyclopedia.
http://gen-sen1204.cocolog-nifty.com/bl ... fa701.html
(Blue text: my notes for clarity)
SPOILER
TLDR; Most of what has been said confirms our frustrations and gives a few specifics on why this sucks.
Welp, back to work. :KRUMP:
I can only say... I agree

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”