Sales from Finland and how many copies printed?

News and general discussion of topics that encompass all Finnish translations of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series.
Densetsu No Kage
Legend
Legend

Sales from Finland and how many copies printed?

Post by Densetsu No Kage »

I believe this is the right section to post this sort of question? So it's no secret to a lot of Ginga fans that GNG became a sensation in Scandinavia when it aired; many kids (now adults) have fond memories of it. Finland's Punainen jättiläinen (Red Giant) seems to be the only company that procured rights some 25+ years later to publish Yoshihiro Takahashi's catalog. I've always found this fascinating that a deal like this was made. Punainen jättiläinen must've been convinced that there was an audience for this and that it would sell well, which I assume it is? To be fair you guys do have Ginga conventions so that was a smart move on their part ;)

I'm curious as to how many copies of each book are printed and, if at the end of each month, does Punainen jättiläinen put out a chart of how well each series they publish do? Like "we sold x amount of copies this month and we printed x". I would go to their websites but I know Google Translate is not a reliable source. Do any of you Finnish Ginga fans have this information or is it not available to the public?

I appreciate your time, thanks!
Member of the Ginga community since 2008
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Sales from Finland and how many copies printed?

Post by YamaDora »

Densetsu No Kage wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:16 am I'm curious as to how many copies of each book are printed and, if at the end of each month, does Punainen jättiläinen put out a chart of how well each series they publish do? Like "we sold x amount of copies this month and we printed x".
They have never revealed information like that. As far as I know, they have never told us how much each book sells exactly.

However, if I recall correctly, they once put up a list or something about how much some manga series sold in general per book (Ginga included). Could someone dig up that information and give us a confirmation?
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Found it! This was posted in 2017.

Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball) 500 000+ (not the exact amount)
Yoshihiro Takahashi (Ginga) 496 000
Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) 377 000
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto) 345 000

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Densetsu No Kage
Legend
Legend

Doragon wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:23 am
Densetsu No Kage wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:16 am I'm curious as to how many copies of each book are printed and, if at the end of each month, does Punainen jättiläinen put out a chart of how well each series they publish do? Like "we sold x amount of copies this month and we printed x".
They have never revealed information like that. As far as I know, they have never told us how much each book sells exactly.

However, if I recall correctly, they once put up a list or something about how much some manga series sold in general per book (Ginga included). Could someone dig up that information and give us a confirmation?
methpring wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:05 am Found it! This was posted in 2017.

Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball) 500 000+ (not the exact amount)
Yoshihiro Takahashi (Ginga) 496 000
Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) 377 000
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto) 345 000
Hmm wonder why they wouldn't share that info? Maybe it's hard to track?

Thank you! This is very helpful. Interesting that Toriyama still sells a lot, but it's like that in any country XD
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Densetsu No Kage wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:57 pmHmm wonder why they wouldn't share that info? Maybe it's hard to track?

Thank you! This is very helpful. Interesting that Toriyama still sells a lot, but it's like that in any country XD
I think it's just not common in Finland to tell amounts of books/comics/etc sold. Even if the series is huge hit, the amount of books sold is usually rather small. For example -if I remember correctly-, when Harry Potter 4 was published the print size of the first edition was 10 000 pieces and it was the largest print ever made for first edition print.

And if you count the average books sales, it would look like this:
Toriyama: 11 111
Takahashi: 5010
Oda: 4654
Kishimoto: 4726

(Of course, this is just average. In reality the first books sold best and later parts gets smaller amounts.)

The list contains books from last 15 years. Toriyama is no longer getting more sales (practically all series are sold out), but he was hugely popular when Dragon Ball started. It would be interesting to know which sold better: GNG or Dragon Ball, if you could compare the total sales vs. average.
Densetsu No Kage
Legend
Legend

Uru wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:01 pm
Densetsu No Kage wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:57 pmHmm wonder why they wouldn't share that info? Maybe it's hard to track?

I think it's just not common in Finland to tell amounts of books/comics/etc sold. Even if the series is huge hit, the amount of books sold is usually rather small. For example -if I remember correctly-, when Harry Potter 4 was published the print size of the first edition was 10 000 pieces and it was the largest print ever made for first edition print.

And if you count the average books sales, it would look like this:
Toriyama: 11 111
Takahashi: 5010
Oda: 4654
Kishimoto: 4726

(Of course, this is just average. In reality the first books sold best and later parts gets smaller amounts.)

The list contains books from last 15 years. Toriyama is no longer getting more sales (practically all series are sold out), but he was hugely popular when Dragon Ball started. It would be interesting to know which sold better: GNG or Dragon Ball, if you could compare the total sales vs. average.
Huh that's very interesting. Where I live it's not uncommon for lists to pop up of how many books, movies or video games were sold in a month or even a week. Some of course release data by quarter.
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

With other series being translated, does anyone have more info about sales number? Is it safe to assume they have been good?
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Flanoir wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:32 pm With other series being translated, does anyone have more info about sales number? Is it safe to assume they have been good?
As far as I'm aware, there's no new information over the sales numbers. All we know is that GDWO isn't selling too well.
Tetrafuse-Sama12

Post by Tetrafuse-Sama12 »

Yes there is no information on the sales
Nara
Potential
Potential

Post by Nara »

YamaDora wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 pm
Flanoir wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:32 pm With other series being translated, does anyone have more info about sales number? Is it safe to assume they have been good?
As far as I'm aware, there's no new information over the sales numbers. All we know is that GDWO isn't selling too well.
Hmm and how do "we" know that about GDWO sales? Any sources for this? Sales can't have been too bad as they still translated TLW and now Noah.

Return to “Hopeanuoli and other Finnish Publications”