Why hasn't the GNG anime gotten a better finnish dub?

News and general discussion of topics that encompass all Finnish translations of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series.
Ollervo1

Why hasn't the GNG anime gotten a better finnish dub?

Post by Ollervo1 »

Considering how wildly popular the series is in Finland I find it kind of odd that the finnish fans are still stuck with the notoriously awful Finnish dub.

Sure, the Golden Voice dub a cult classic by this point, but you would think that there would be demand for a dub that one can actually take seriously. There is also the uncut version with the japanese dub with finnish subtitles, but not everyone is into that (also the sub quality was not excactly the best either, at least with my copy).
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Re: Why hasn't the GNG anime gotten a better finnish dub?

Post by Digsu »

I think it's simply because, in Finland, only media intended for children tends to get dubbed. For whatever reason GNG was originally marketed to children when it was originally brought to the Nordic countries (I assume the attitude at the time simply was "it's animated, so it must be for kids", but if somebody knows better then do correct me), but these days, I don't think anybody's going to look at a show as violent as GNG - even the edited version - and attempt to aim it at kids.

So the issue isn't Ginga's popularity or lack thereof, it's just that the attitude in Finland seems to be "only kids get dubs, everyone else has to settle for subs at best".

Adams Angel
Upholder
Upholder

Post by Adams Angel »

Digsu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:41 am I think it's simply because, in Finland, only media intended for children tends to get dubbed. For whatever reason GNG was originally marketed to children when it was originally brought to the Nordic countries (I assume the attitude at the time simply was "it's animated, so it must be for kids", but if somebody knows better then do correct me), but these days, I don't think anybody's going to look at a show as violent as GNG - even the edited version - and attempt to aim it at kids.

So the issue isn't Ginga's popularity or lack thereof, it's just that the attitude in Finland seems to be "only kids get dubs, everyone else has to settle for subs at best".
That kinda sucks ngl :derpgin:
:sparkles: Oh, uh, ugly people? :sparkles:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Sweden is the same.

Norway and Denmark did dub the uncut version, though. Denmark even dubbed GDW anime.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Nara
Potential
Potential

Post by Nara »

There's simply no real need for a new dub. Most fans prefer the original uncut version, and the dub is reserved only for little kids, who will eventually outgrow it and choose the uncut version. Redubbing the whole thing would cost a lot of money. Why bother, when the old dub still sells?
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

I think it's just good that no new dub has been made. I'm one of the few fans who really like this Finnish dub, because I think there are also really successful moments (for example the main narrator, Gohee's voice and Ben's second voice) and some scenes are even much more beautiful in Finnish (like the scene where Gin says goodbye to Fuji and Riki's last words) than in Japanese, maybe because of the translation.

Also, for me, Gin's Finnish voice actor (even if he was already quite old at this point) is the "real" Finnish voice of Gin, so I really don't hope to hear him speak Finnish in someone else's voice. So it's good that GNG has been spared a new dubbing, which unfortunately the Moomins were not spared. Some fans have made edits with both the Finnish dub and uncut scenes with subtitles, so if I want to watch the dub without cuts, I usually choose this version (I'm also used to cuts, so this version is also fine for me).
Ginga forever! <3
Ollervo1

Post by Ollervo1 »

Findog wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:53 am I think it's just good that no new dub has been made. I'm one of the few fans who really like this Finnish dub, because I think there are also really successful moments (for example the main narrator, Gohee's voice and Ben's second voice) and some scenes are even much more beautiful in Finnish (like the scene where Gin says goodbye to Fuji and Riki's last words) than in Japanese, maybe because of the translation.

Also, for me, Gin's Finnish voice actor (even if he was already quite old at this point) is the "real" Finnish voice of Gin, so I really don't hope to hear him speak Finnish in someone else's voice. So it's good that GNG has been spared a new dubbing, which unfortunately the Moomins were not spared. Some fans have made edits with both the Finnish dub and uncut scenes with subtitles, so if I want to watch the dub without cuts, I usually choose this version (I'm also used to cuts, so this version is also fine for me).
As bad as the Finnish dub is at times, I must agree that some voices fit really well with their respective characters, even if the line delivery can be stiff. Characters like Gohee, Gin and Riki (in the final battle) have really well matching voices IMO.

Return to “Hopeanuoli and other Finnish Publications”