GTLW or GDN/ Which was worse?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

GTLW or GDN/ Which was worse?

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

Which arc did you think was just bad?
GTLW or GDN?

Personally.. I think GDN.

The alien worms were just... Um..
But uh, between GDN and GTLW, which was just the worst in your opinion?
Last edited by Justarandomfan1 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:
Sandatora
Translator
Translator

Re: GTLW or GDN/ Which was worse?

Post by Sandatora »

Gdn :derpgin:

Ginga has a lot of impossible stuff happening but aliens/space/sci-fi stuff just doesn't work in that universe no matter how you cut it.

Icon by VyzWares on Twitter!
🌺 Art topic | Oc generator & Picrew | Art Fight | Toyhouse | Tumblr | Art Tumblr 🌺
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

I say GDN. 🛸

The plot was incoherent and made no sense, the villains were dumb and forgettable, and it seems that some of its events happened for the sake of shock value (bringing back dead characters like Hyena and Sirius, beings from space wanting to rule the planet, Noah flying, etc.), and none of it came together at all. It got so frustrating for me at one point that I had to quit reading it for a long time.

The only problem I had with TLW was that some of its characters were unbearable, most of them having little to no character development.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Personally, I prefer GDN over TLW. GDN was so over-the-top weird and stupid that I honestly found it really fun, whereas TLW was just so emotionally draining for me that I couldn't enjoy it if my life depended on it. GDN was a trainwreck, but at least it was an amusing trainwreck.

Objectively, though, even I have to admit that TLW is the better series, as GDN's sci-fi elements really don't mesh with Ginga at all. I think TLW could be a good Ginga story if you just rewrote the characters to be less exhausting, but you really couldn't turn GDN into a good Ginga story even if you tried.

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

While GDN was really dumb and the weirdest Ginga manga that I've ever read, I still say that GTLW was worse.

Don't get me wrong. GDN wasn't all that great either. But at least it was still entertaining and (kind of) fun, even in a really dumb way. GTLW, on the other hand, just had a number of problems. Some of the characters were infuriating or excruciating to see, the deaths of Jerome's wife and half of their children at the very beginning of the story were so heartbreaking to me that I didn't see that coming, Yoshi suddenly deciding, "You know what, I now put red fur on Chibi's back to make him an Akakabuto descendent," Kyoushiro/Jyoushiro continuing to be out of character since GDW ended and extending that over to GDN and also bitching at Orion and picking on him even for no reason all because Orion exists, and Sirius being the complete careless sociopath throughout the entire story and never stopping to admit or realize all of his own wrongdoings when he was defending Monsoon despite the evil bear's remorseless actions.

Say what you want about GDN. But at least the story was less frustrating to read and didn't feature a sociopath like Sirius. Although the three Aka-ari dumbasses are the dumbest villains in the entire Ginga universe.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

Spirit Tree wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:50 pm While GDN was really dumb and the weirdest Ginga manga that I've ever read, I still say that GTLW was worse.

Don't get me wrong. GDN wasn't all that great either. But at least it was still entertaining and (kind of) fun, even in a really dumb way. GTLW, on the other hand, just had a number of problems. Some of the characters were infuriating or excruciating to see, the deaths of Jerome's wife and half of their children at the very beginning of the story were so heartbreaking to me that I didn't see that coming, Yoshi suddenly deciding, "You know what, I now put red fur on Chibi's back to make him an Akakabuto descendent," Kyoushiro/Jyoushiro continuing to be out of character since GDW ended and extending that over to GDN and also bitching at Orion and picking on him even for no reason all because Orion exists, and Sirius being the complete careless sociopath throughout the entire story and never stopping to admit or realize all of his own wrongdoings when he was defending Monsoon despite the evil bear's remorseless actions.

Say what you want about GDN. But at least the story was less frustrating to read and didn't feature a sociopath like Sirius. Although the three Aka-ari dumbasses are the dumbest villains in the entire Ginga universe.
Honestly, as much as I hated GDN and think its the worst, I agree with you so much on a lot of your points.
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:
TheGreatRiki
Potential
Potential

Post by TheGreatRiki »

GDN, those alien things were just too much to handle. Wierdest manga of all.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”