Ginga Densetsu Noah in Finnish

News and general discussion of topics that encompass all Finnish translations of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series.
Uru
Friend
Friend

Re: Ginga Densetsu Noah in Finnish

Post by Uru »

YamaDora wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:49 pm After reading Mylläri's Finnish translation for over ten years, I just find Taavi Suhonen's (the Finnish translator of GDN) translation very disorienting. Not only the dialogue is way more casual in Suhonen's translation, but he also uses stronger swears and it just keeps thowing me off every time it happens.

Also unrelated, but something I found interesting after reading volume 4: Shuou calls himself "Sinooperikuningas" ("Cinnabar King") in the Finnish translation.
I like translation fine, but the sound effects... They sound like Donald Duck comics. "Byäääh, wääh" isn't just sound I wanted to read when characters are mourning etc.

Maybe Wanwan's title could be Kuningasten kuningas (King of Kings) or similar. I don't think they are used very often so translating them doesn't seem that weird.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I am curiouse if his name is gonna be Wanwan or Wangwang in Finnish edition ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't help but feel the way Noah's name is conjugated in the translation is a bit awkward. I don't really know how to explain it, but I just feel like it would sound better if it used "Noah'n" and so on instead of "Noahin"... idk the way it's written sounds to me like it puts emphasis on the "h" at the end of his name, when there shouldn't even be an "h" sound in there if you're pronouncing it like how it is in English (or how it's written in katakana in Japanese for that matter, where it's just "noa").

Again, I really don't know how to properly explain it but it just sounds a bit weird to me. :yama1:

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:22 am I don't know if it's just me, but I can't help but feel the way Noah's name is conjugated in the translation is a bit awkward. I don't really know how to explain it, but I just feel like it would sound better if it used "Noah'n" and so on instead of "Noahin"... idk the way it's written sounds to me like it puts emphasis on the "h" at the end of his name, when there shouldn't even be an "h" sound in there if you're pronouncing it like how it is in English (or how it's written in katakana in Japanese for that matter, where it's just "noa").

Again, I really don't know how to properly explain it but it just sounds a bit weird to me. :yama1:
I also notice that how Finnish put that "n" in different ways of how Swedish use "s" in the end when it "belongs" to them., I get what you're meaning (only thing I get of Finnish bending of words lol)

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Yay!

I can't wait to know of they sd dthw "about character" in the end of the volume ^^

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Back when the Japanese volume 5 came out, Noah's eyes were edited to be blank after Shuou's attack (presumably as a bandaid fix to sort of address the issue of his eyes suddenly being blind and bloody the next time we see him), when the original Goraku version showed him with normal eyes in that scene. And for some reason, the Finnish version uses the original Goraku version instead of the more recent edited version.
SPOILER
That's a bit weird. :derpgin:

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

That's pretty interesting find!

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

So it seems that Shuou is "Sinooperikunigas" ("Cinnabar King"), Beniou is "Verenpunainen kuningas" ("Blood-Red King") and Wangwang is "Kuningasten kuningas" ("King of the Kings").
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
MissyJane

Post by MissyJane »

Those soundeffects are very disturbing. And translations in volume 5 when Noah was injured. 🤦
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Digsu wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:21 pm Back when the Japanese volume 5 came out, Noah's eyes were edited to be blank after Shuou's attack (presumably as a bandaid fix to sort of address the issue of his eyes suddenly being blind and bloody the next time we see him), when the original Goraku version showed him with normal eyes in that scene. And for some reason, the Finnish version uses the original Goraku version instead of the more recent edited version.
SPOILER
This is very interesting!

It might be because the Japanese and Finnish version are so close to each other: just few more months and Finnish edition might be published just few weeks after Japanese one. When this happens, Japanese publishers sometimes send the material of original magazine (Shounen Jump, Manga Goraku) to translators so that they have more time to translate & edit the sound effects. Maybe this is what is happening here?
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Uru wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:24 am
Digsu wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:21 pm Back when the Japanese volume 5 came out, Noah's eyes were edited to be blank after Shuou's attack (presumably as a bandaid fix to sort of address the issue of his eyes suddenly being blind and bloody the next time we see him), when the original Goraku version showed him with normal eyes in that scene. And for some reason, the Finnish version uses the original Goraku version instead of the more recent edited version.
SPOILER
This is very interesting!

It might be because the Japanese and Finnish version are so close to each other: just few more months and Finnish edition might be published just few weeks after Japanese one. When this happens, Japanese publishers sometimes send the material of original magazine (Shounen Jump, Manga Goraku) to translators so that they have more time to translate & edit the sound effects. Maybe this is what is happening here?
Japanese volume 5 was published in April 2020, while Finnish version was published in December 2021, over a year and a half after the Japanese one.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Peikko

Post by Peikko »

Does anyone know if there's a list available somewhere where I could see where the mangas are sold in Finland?They don't sell them near my home anymore and I have only been able to find like 3 of them while travelling
Everything is fine as long as it looks like I know what I'm doing.
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Peikko wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:03 pm Does anyone know if there's a list available somewhere where I could see where the mangas are sold in Finland?They don't sell them near my home anymore and I have only been able to find like 3 of them while travelling
Here you go. Just search the newest manga volume and go down to "Katso lähimmät lehtipisteet, joihin tuote toimitettu". That should get you a list of the closest places to you that sells the volume in question.
Peikko

Post by Peikko »

YamaDora wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:28 pm
Peikko wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:03 pm Does anyone know if there's a list available somewhere where I could see where the mangas are sold in Finland?They don't sell them near my home anymore and I have only been able to find like 3 of them while travelling
Here you go. Just search the newest manga volume and go down to "Katso lähimmät lehtipisteet, joihin tuote toimitettu". That should get you a list of the closest places to you that sells the volume in question.
Thank you! :tfw_bella2:
Everything is fine as long as it looks like I know what I'm doing.
ElCamino

Post by ElCamino »

Anyone’s general view of GDN’d story? Is it worth reading?
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Return to “Hopeanuoli and other Finnish Publications”