Shirozaru's, Rara's and Muu's relation

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.

Cousins or brothers

Shirozaru the older cousin and Muu and Rara are brothers
38%
All are brothers, Shirozaru oldest, Muu middle, Rara youngest
63%

Total votes: 24

Tora
Legend
Legend

Shirozaru's, Rara's and Muu's relation

Post by Tora »

Think it better for them to have their own topic of this to discuss.

So, In beginning of GDWO it's more or less stated that Shirozaru is the cousin of Rara and Muu, with Shirozaru's mum being Akame's daughter, and Rara's and Muu's father being Akame's son. Then later on they're described as brothers and not cousins. Is it so that they're as close as brothers? When exactly did they change from cousins to brothers?
Last edited by Tora on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Re: Shirozaru's, Rara's and Muu's relation

Post by Digsu »

The character bios from GDWO volume 4 (the first volume to even have a character bios page) refer to them both as "Shirozaru's younger brother" (白申の弟). So their relationship seems to have been changed pretty early on.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:37 pm The character bios from GDWO volume 4 (the first volume to even have a character bios page) refer to them both as "Shirozaru's younger brother" (白申の弟). So their relationship seems to have been changed pretty early on.

Is there anymore mention in the manga itself? If they say they're brothers or cousins?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:42 pm
Digsu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:37 pm The character bios from GDWO volume 4 (the first volume to even have a character bios page) refer to them both as "Shirozaru's younger brother" (白申の弟). So their relationship seems to have been changed pretty early on.

Is there anymore mention in the manga itself? If they say they're brothers or cousins?
In volume 3, Shirozaru first introduces himself by saying "I'm Shirozaru" and after that Rara says "I'm Rara and this [standing next to me] is my big brother Muu". It doesn't necessarily have to mean Shirozaru's not their brother, but it does sound a bit stilted otherwise... If Shirozaru was their brother, I think it'd make more sense for Rara to say something like "this is my other big brother, Muu" or something like that.
:THOT:

I couldn't find any other mention of their relationship in the manga proper until volume 30, where Shirozaru says "Bella is living with a good family. My brother [Rara] lives nearby."

And in TLW volume 6, we get this:
:gennai: You're the Shirozaru brothers!
:tesshin: Shirozaru and his brothers!
:izou: Akame's grandkids!
:mangachourou: They're here?!

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:00 pm
Tora wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:42 pm

In volume 3, Shirozaru first introduces himself by saying "I'm Shirozaru" and after that Rara says "I'm Rara and this [standing next to me] is my big brother Muu". It doesn't necessarily have to mean Shirozaru's not their brother, but it does sound a bit stilted otherwise... If Shirozaru was their brother, I think it'd make more sense for Rara to say something like "this is my other big brother, Muu" or something like that.
:THOT:

I couldn't find any other mention of their relationship in the manga proper until volume 30, where Shirozaru says "Bella is living with a good family. My brother [Rara] lives nearby."

And in TLW volume 6, we get this:
:gennai: You're the Shirozaru brothers!
:tesshin: Shirozaru and his brothers!
:izou: Akame's grandkids!
:mangachourou: They're here?!
Hmm, that's pretty interesting. Wonder if they're cousins bur just later they reflect each other as brothers (headcanon territory now lol)

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

Oh wow I never thought about this! I feel like it would make more sense for them to be brothers, but I wish we got more cousin interactions like this instead. It looks like they changed their minds after originally making them cousins, and just said nah they're brothers now.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I know when I look in vol 2, I look at page 44 and this panel. Shirozaru talks about his mother and Rara's father.

Gosh complicated XD

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 pm I know when I look in vol 2, I look at page 44 and this panel. Shirozaru talks about his mother and Rara's father.

Gosh complicated XD
Maybe they're actually half-brothers with the same mother but different fathers, and Shirozaru's mom and Rara's dad used to be in a relationship despite... y'know, being siblings. :THOT:

If you want it to get even more complicated, there's a scene in GDWO where Shirozaru calls Akame his uncle instead of grandfather. :surprisegin:
Digsu wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:53 pm Image

Shirozaru calls Akame "uncle" (ojiki/伯父貴) here, even though Akame is his grandfather. Because the family relations of Shirozaru and his two cousins/brothers (who may or may not be brothers to each other) weren't confusing enough as it is.

Interestingly, it seems the Finnish translator caught this and thus in the Finnish version of GDWO 27 Shirozaru correctly calls Akame "grandfather" in this panel.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:37 pm
Tora wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 pm I know when I look in vol 2, I look at page 44 and this panel. Shirozaru talks about his mother and Rara's father.

Gosh complicated XD
Maybe they're actually half-brothers with the same mother but different fathers, and Shirozaru's mom and Rara's dad used to be in a relationship despite... y'know, being siblings. :THOT:

If you want it to get even more complicated, there's a scene in GDWO where Shirozaru calls Akame his uncle instead of grandfather. :surprisegin:
Digsu wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:53 pm Image

Shirozaru calls Akame "uncle" (ojiki/伯父貴) here, even though Akame is his grandfather. Because the family relations of Shirozaru and his two cousins/brothers (who may or may not be brothers to each other) weren't confusing enough as it is.

Interestingly, it seems the Finnish translator caught this and thus in the Finnish version of GDWO 27 Shirozaru correctly calls Akame "grandfather" in this panel.
Oh damn XD

So damn complicted XD
Think I will go with Shirozaru being the older cousin of Muu and Rara and they just call themself brothers later on, and the rest just goes with it lmao

Edit:
I made it a poll for people to vote

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Random thought I just had:

This is more or less identical to the situation of Kurotora being the eldest Kai brother in their debut chapter before Akatora got retconned into being the eldest instead, except this time it's Shirozaru being implied to be Muu and Rara's cousin once (possibly twice) and afterwards they're always referred to as brothers instead.

Should there also be a poll on whether Kurotora or Akatora is the eldest Kai brother, too? :THOT:

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 pm Random thought I just had:

This is more or less identical to the situation of Kurotora being the eldest Kai brother in their debut chapter before Akatora got retconned into being the eldest instead, except this time it's Shirozaru being implied to be Muu and Rara's cousin once (possibly twice) and afterwards they're always referred to as brothers instead.

Should there also be a poll on whether Kurotora or Akatora is the eldest Kai brother, too? :THOT:
Wait, really? O.o

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:03 pm

Wait, really? O.o
Yeah, Akatora calls Kurotora "aniki" (兄貴) at one point.

Incidentally, this is also presumably where the Yondai claiming that Kurotora is the eldest Kai brother comes from.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 pm
Tora wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:03 pm

Wait, really? O.o
Yeah, Akatora calls Kurotora "aniki" (兄貴) at one point.

Incidentally, this is also presumably where the Yondai claiming that Kurotora is the eldest Kai brother comes from.
Interesting actually. Though, that was just one point right? In that single chapter?
Shirozaru being cousin drags on for few chapters and even have deeper explanation (well, deeper and deeper...). More info about it

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:26 pm Interesting actually. Though, that was just one point right? In that single chapter?
Shirozaru being cousin drags on for few chapters and even have deeper explanation (well, deeper and deeper...). More info about it
I guess that's a matter of opinion. Just like Kurotora is only said to be the eldest brother in one speech bubble, so is Shirozaru said to be Muu and Rara's cousin in only one speech bubble (Muu introducing Rara as "[his] big brother" instead of "other big brother" or something is kinda debatable, as I'm pretty sure that if you accidentally skipped the speech bubble where Shirozaru refers to his mother and Rara's father separatedly you'd just think it was just a bit of stilted dialogue). Likewise, just like we know that Akatora is the eldest Kai brother because he's always been referred to as such after the Kai bros debut chapter, so have Shirozaru, Muu, and Rara have been said to be three brothers ever since GDWO volume 4 and them being cousins has never been brought up again since volume 3.

Even if Shirozaru being their cousin went on for a several of chapters, he's still referred to as their brother far longer - he was their cousin for 15 chapters (from the chapter where he talks about his and Rara's parents to the end of volume 3) and their brother for the remainder of GDWO + all of TLW, at least going by the fact that they've consistently been called brothers starting with volume 4's character bios and the cousin thing has never been mentioned again. So the way I see it, they've simply been retconned into being brothers and saying they're cousins is like saying that Hyena is dead - it was true once, and while it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, we now have enough evidence to safely say that's no longer the case.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion”