Did you like it?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Riki.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Did you like it?

Post by Gingaddict »

Personally, I love this story, because it shows how you can be weak but with hard work and determination you can become something great and strong as we see Riki go from being a weak child to a strong fighter for justice. I don't mind that he's a mommy boy (I think that runs in the family as shown with Weed and Sakura), if anything that shows how far he's come and how much he grew. Though I do wish we saw a bit more of Shiro and how he became strong and respected and how Riki did in his training like Gin did, I think this was a interesting way to see Riki's backstory.

The reason I bring it up because I've heard some people dislike this story due to how different Riki is as a puppy compared to an adult but for me, that just adds to the greatness of his character development.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
SonicBoom1024

Re: Did you like it?

Post by SonicBoom1024 »

I read it for the first time the other night, and I really enjoyed it! It was a nice backstory to how Riki went from an unwanted puppy to become a stronger puppy and eventually, a legendary dog. And it gives an interesting take of Riki being there when Shiro fell down the ravine. I agree with you at the part where Riki could have had more time with Shiro, but I think the time that was given to them was just enough to establish a small relationship.
skinklegs
Friend
Friend

Post by skinklegs »

It was good! Nothing spectacular, but it was a nice little story that added a lot of much-needed depth to Riki. Seeing him with his mother was cute, and it was nice to know he and Daisuke had an established friendship before the events of GNG. His fights with the dog pack were pretty cool too!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

WUT
People don't like how different Riki is!?
Whether Yoshi made it up on the spot or not, this story added more to Riki and made him even more admirable. I LOVE how he's a mama boy and the runt of the litter. That's the cutest and sweetest thing ever and knowing that exact pup became so strong and charismatic to be followed by 1000+ dogs to successfully take down a demon bear pack is just incredible.
The story fleshed him out and while it's nothing unique, adding to Riki's character is the best part.

ImageImage
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

This story was great to me, because I could definitely see the resemblance of how the family starts out weak, and then becomes strong (Gin as an exception, because he was chosen from the very start, and Siro is unknown), just like Weed, as you said. And also, just seeing Riki as a pup, being like a child and all that is just lovely:) I've grown to love the serious Riki we see in GNG, but this childish and brave version of Riki is very lovely. It's another part of him that we don't see in GNG (except for the brave part. We definitely see that in GNG).
Have a nice day!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I also love this story. It’s so cool to see Riki’s story as a pup and how he grew brave and strong. He loved his mother so dearly that being a mama’s boy is actually pretty sweet in this story. Getting some encouragement from his father also inspired him.

I would have been interested in seeing more story about Riki. What his life was after Shiro died and before Gin was born. I heard that Riki was popular with women. At least the Ginga fandom wiki says that he “had many mates to have good pups.” How about meeting Fuji and his work and training with Gohei in becoming the badass that he was? I’d love to see all of that story.
Last edited by Spirit Tree on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I love the story about Riki! I really enjoyed seeing him as mama's boy and that he did everything he could to visit his lovely mother. And how he grew to a brave dog.

As Spirit Tree says, I would love to read about his life between this to when Gin was born. I want to know how he met Fuji too! Hope we can see more of it in future. We'll never know but I hope so :)
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Crystal
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Crystal »

I just re-read this story the other night! I love it so much! Sure, it isn't exactly the best plot-wise, but the insight we gain on certain characters makes it valuable in its own way. My favorite part of this story is that we get to see more of Shiro. He's always been a favorite of mine, even though he dies rather quickly... XD

Puppy Riki is also adorable!
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

It was a great story and considering that Riki is my favorite character,I like it even more.Loved how Gohei and all others had no clue that the puppy that Gohei rejected for being too soft proved he was stronger than his siblings and actually a strong bearhound.
I was looking forward for its anime adaption though😅😅
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
MasterOfCider
Recruit
Recruit

Post by MasterOfCider »

I actually enjoyed it, because it showed Riki doing something to warrant part of his fame. He wasn't born great, he made himself that way. I still don't think he did enough to justify all the renown in GNG, but I think if we assume most of what he did was like this it would make sense. I'll always prefer showing over telling however.
"Satan takes me to the pasta."
seven

Post by seven »

I liked it! I love the depth it gave to Riki, it was adorable. Though I was expecting more after the 5th chapter, about how Gohei trained Riki, Riki meeting Fuji, and what happened to Riki's other sibling(the one Gohei originally took)
Suetic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suetic »

It wasn't particularly good or particularly bad. Just another spin-off story that repeats the same pattern although with little differences.

InstagramToyhou.seTumblrTwitter

⚡Avatar by Pikafuey.⚡
juky091

Post by juky091 »

Yes
GingaLegend

Post by GingaLegend »

Yes, i liked it! It was interesting to see Riki's backstory and development.
Aksi00

Post by Aksi00 »

I love the story about Riki
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

I liked it, but part of me wishes there was a bit more to it. As a one time collector's edition thing it's neat, but I just love Riki so much, wish there was more. Maybe show him as the leader he became after the events of GNG's beginning.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

loved it! The brothers(whose names I don't remember) were pretty decent "villains" and the reason why I put quotes was because I don't think you can really consider them as villains maybe more like bullies but it was still awesome! :bon1:
:noroi:!Noroi!:noroi:
Awesomely drawn banners made by Sanda and Gingastar!!!
Thank you!!! <3
SENTŌ INU
Recruit
Recruit

Post by SENTŌ INU »

I thought it was okay. Very standard Takahashi.

It was neat to see how different Riki was, and the relationship with his mother was cute. On the other hand, Daisuke was an unfortunate (but obviously necessary) inclusion...
GangstaGuru
Mentor
Mentor

Post by GangstaGuru »

I liked it

For one of Yoshi's shorter manga stories, this is one of his best ones. I enjoyed his progression from his very timid beginnings into being the courageous character most people know him for.

And also the late 1990's/early 2000's is my personal favourite era in terms of Yoshi's drawing style, when the characters actually had proper detailed expressions that were different to each other, and just more detailed in his general artwork for that matter. I think some of his art done for GDR is some of his best within that era.
FurAffinity
DeviantArt
Twitter

If you want to change the world, start off my making your bed

:akame: :EXCITE:
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Yeah i like it, but i wish there was a little more to it. I wish it was longer like Ginga Nagareboshi gin

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Riki”