Official "Who Is This?" thread

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Official "Who Is This?" thread

Post by FDQ »

If anyone comes across a Ginga related character they don't recognize or simply don't know who is, this is the place to ask. Preferably accompanied by a picture of said character. Other members can then scrutinize the picture and come up with a (hopefully) accurate answer.

Go nuts.

FDQ
Legend
Legend

Re: Official "Who Is This?" thread

Post by FDQ »

And I may aswell begin, since I came across this on twitter today and made me wonder who it is. It looks very much like Ron from Lonely Ron, but the collar is missing. The art looks like it's definitely official and not a fan drawing at all.

Anyone have a clue who it is or is it just Ron? Does he lose his collar sometime during the manga? I haven't seen any other pics of him without the collar

I hope this doesn't count as spam...?

Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

I've seen the picture a fair bit on twitter, the dog is next to an anime girl of a very different style (CG even?). I think it's just a game that commissioned or collaborated with Yoshi to do the art for the dog? That's what I assumed.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Kasi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:50 am I've seen the picture a fair bit on twitter, the dog is next to an anime girl of a very different style (CG even?). I think it's just a game that commissioned or collaborated with Yoshi to do the art for the dog? That's what I assumed.
Hm, maybe. I still wonder though >_<

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I did some digging, and found out where the dog is from.

It's from a mobile game called Alice Gear Aegis (more info about it here). Yoshi designed the dog, whose name is Mutsu (陸奥), as well as a bear character named Arabagi (荒魂鬼) for the game.

Japanese page announcing Mutsu and Arabagi's debut here, and here are some screenshots of their appearance in-game.
Last edited by Digsu on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I'd seen this floating around on Twitter too, what an odd looking game.

I like the design of Akakabuto's blonde cousin XD
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Thanks Digsu!!!

Wow, finally knows the names!! Also on the link to the introduse of Mutsu and Arabagi, you can read Takahashi's comment on it, and quick information of him. ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Here's Google Translate's attempt at translating Yoshi's message:
"Please draw the characters that will appear in the game" Alice Gear · Aegis "! "

Usually I do not do much game play Unexpected request in my place! !
Moreover, I want you to draw with consciousness of red Kabuto and Ben.

I thought that this was quite interesting, I enjoyed drawing it.
I am looking forward to seeing how my character drew in the game.

Yoshihiro Takahashi
I'm pretty sure "draw with consciousness of red Kabuto and Ben" means that he was asked to draw something that evoked the designs/feeling of Akakabuto and Ben, which is probably why Mutsu and Arabagi look like them.

Also the kanji of Arabagi's name mean "rough/wild", "spirit" and "demon" so I assume his name is meant to mean "rough/wild-hearted demon" or something along those lines.

Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Is it me or does the dog look like a Boxer/Akita mix?
icon by azzai
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

It looks so strange! It's two completely different styles that don't fit together at all XD But thanks for finding the info ^_^ I tried downloading the game on my phone, but it's not available in my country >_<

Bolty
Potential
Potential

Post by Bolty »

Interesting! The dog looks like a Great Dane mix in my opinion. The colors combination is very unique.

:akatora: :ben: :benizakura: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

I actually really love the design of Mutsu!
I haven't been on twitter recently so can anyone link a picture of the girl/styles side by side for the thread?
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I know this is one of Tenka's followers, but does he have a name? His design stands out, but I don't recall his name ever being said.

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I realize there isn't really a real answer for this, but I'd like to hear what you guys think:

Could this be Great? It's from the scene where the dogs are discussing swimming across the sea to Shikoku and it looks a lot like him, except Great's markings are supposed to cover his mouth.

So what do you think, is this Great with slightly incorrect markings or just a random dog that happens to look a lot like him? Because if this is meant to be Great, I'm pretty sure it's the only (full-color) image of him that exists in the manga and would make this his canon manga coloration.

methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

I found these two images.

This is definetely Great in red shaded.

Could this be Great?

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I'm almost positive the one in the second image is Great :THOT: I think the eyes are a little bit off, but that can probably be chalked up to it being just an error.

As for the first image, in my experience the color pages that only use shades of red can be somewhat unreliable so I'd take characters' coloration in those with a grain of salt. For example, here's Hyena going from his usual white/gray to a strange reddish/peach color in the same chapter.
But since he seems to appear in some full-color images, I think it's safe to assume that Great is canonically red in the manga.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”