If you could rewrite Ginga, what would you change?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
OreozFox
Rookie
Rookie

If you could rewrite Ginga, what would you change?

Post by OreozFox »

There are a few things I'd change, but the one that came to me off the top of my head would be some of the non-dog characters stick around with the Ohu army, like the wolves, Pepe and the good monkeys, and Chibi from TLW.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: If you could rewrite Ginga, what would you change?

Post by Spirit Tree »

There are plenty of things that I could change if I were to rewrite Ginga. But my top one would be the ending to TLW.

To put it this way for you, OreozFox, and other members, my fanfiction provides all there is to it.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
sabrus
Recruit
Recruit

Post by sabrus »

honestly i'd just rewrite everything past GNG lmao
:kisaragi: :uzuki: :hazuki: :minazuki: :izou: :harpoonbear: :retsuga: :rigel:
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

sabrus wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 pm honestly i'd just rewrite everything past GNG lmao
lmao same

The first thing I'd re-write is the world building. One thing that I always felt Ginga lacked was a take on canine society. They're super anthropomorphised, so I was really hoping that there would be dog laws, and dog religion, and dog classes (like castes not like how to hunt 101 haha). Are certain breeds seen as superior? What's the take on dogs that had been pets? How do dogs view other animals? Maybe bears are a seen as malevolent spirits, and the human hunters only cemented this view.

I'd ovbs takes the misogyny out. Why would dog society have that? I'd actually make Weed female.

I would make it so that Chibi was actually Tesshin's father, rather than Tesshin himself. Though I would also make it so only a couple of years went by between GNG and GDW.

TLW's never happened, the Star Sibs grew up and ruled together.

More doggos based off samurai lmao. But also like... actual samurai dogs to go with the ninja dogs.
A red pandolar bear pandolar bearing along

Pfp and sig by Akame <3
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

Like Morti said, some expanding of the world would be good.
Besides some minor tweaks for realism, I don't think I would change much about Ginga-part of it comes from how much the stories have influenced me as a person, the other part comes from I don't feel right changing some one else's work (weird personal thing). I'm fine with suggestions but I'd feel dirty hijacking a story.

when I was little I legit thought fan fic/fan art would land you in JAIL FOR PLAGIARISM lmao
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

The misogyny is def a big one, can fix that by changing some characters to girls

The time gap between GNG and GDW was my most hated part about the series so far and I would definitely shorten it. I like the idea of how it was a long period of peace when it was Gin compared to Weed. But it can still work if it was shorter considering everything GDW and later was pretty much back to back it seems like
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

Make more strong female characters, make Gin and Weed not bad fathers, and Yukimura is portrayed as an outright villain. I can't say what my fixes would be for TLW because I haven't read very much of it yet
Last edited by Nerdykestrel74 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Morti wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:24 pm
sabrus wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 pm honestly i'd just rewrite everything past GNG lmao
lmao same

The first thing I'd re-write is the world building. One thing that I always felt Ginga lacked was a take on canine society. They're super anthropomorphised, so I was really hoping that there would be dog laws, and dog religion, and dog classes (like castes not like how to hunt 101 haha). Are certain breeds seen as superior? What's the take on dogs that had been pets? How do dogs view other animals? Maybe bears are a seen as malevolent spirits, and the human hunters only cemented this view.

I'd ovbs takes the misogyny out. Why would dog society have that? I'd actually make Weed female.

I would make it so that Chibi was actually Tesshin's father, rather than Tesshin himself. Though I would also make it so only a couple of years went by between GNG and GDW.

TLW's never happened, the Star Sibs grew up and ruled together.

More doggos based off samurai lmao. But also like... actual samurai dogs to go with the ninja dogs.
Morti, I'd read your dog series if you made one <_< >_>
Samurai dogs? YES.

ImageImage
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I would re-write Last Wars to explore the conflict more... I would start it with the Ohu army being dissolved at a time of peace, and Orion, Rigel and Sirius are ruling their own packs separately instead. Then when Monsoon happens, it could be a similar journey to GNG (I like the journey-ing) where Orion travels to his siblings territories to call them to aid to form the army again to take down a bear like the good ol' days. The twist would be finding Bella leading her own, vast and successful army. I like the idea of Bella being resentful of her brothers for sending her away with her mother to live with humans. Her army would be made up of generations of families broken and misplaced by the various wars of Paradise; the pack being her own way of fulfilling her birth right as a descendent of Riki just like her brothers. That would be how I would twist the story into Orion and Bella being the main protagonists and introducing a load of strong female characters. I'm thinking like... a Lady Eboshi from Mononoke vibe for Bella. "Strong and secure personality... doesn't acknowledge the Emperor (in this case Supreme Leader) authority".

I wouldn't make Bella a villain as such but she would be a device for calling out the Ohu army on their crap, and how I would mix in RL war consequences in terms of displacement and loss of identity. I would re-do Sirius completely but keep the same motive about breaking the cycle of war, and it still being about trying to work with your greatest enemy to secure a new future. It would stop there, GDN doesn't need to exist XD
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

Like others said, getting rid of the misogyny would be my first priority.

I would also:

-Make Gin and Weed good fathers.

-Take out Weed's Oedipus Complex with Koyuki. They'd still be a couple and all except the fact that he wants to bang her because she looks like his mom is taken out.

-Let Joe live. And his son.

-TLW isn't canon and all the Star Sibs grow up to rule Ohu together

-Jerome's kids and Hiro's kids are also all alive and have high-ranking roles alongside the Star Sibs.

-Speaking of Jerome and Hiro's kids, Jerome's pup Sunny is a girl and Hiro's red pup (forget the name) is also a girl

-Make the time skip between GNG and GDW smaller.

-LET GB LIVE

That's all I can think of for now
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
Crystal
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Crystal »

To echo what Morti said, I'd love to see some more world-building! That would be very interesting! I'd also obviously get rid of the misogyny and instantly start including a lot of strong female characters.

A few specific things:

- I would keep Joe alive.

- I'd write more about Shiro.

- I would focus a lot more on Bella and Rigel.

- I would decrease the time jump between GNG and GDW and age the characters with a little more realism.

- I would include more breed diversity, particularly adding more hounds and herding breeds.

I'll add to this list if I can think of anything else! :)
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

These are the things that came to my mind

1) Remove some (or all) characters that only really had one or two purposes and then immediately thrown to the side-lines (Like Ron), and then give the role of fulfilling these purposes to someone that we already know.

2) Mitigate the misogyny so that it doesn't fill so much, and make characters act without a thought to what their gender is. It really shouldn't be that important in this story IMO.

3) Reduce the time skip between GNG and GDW from 10 years to maybe 5 or 6.

4) All of the battouga's exist and not just the zetsu tenrou battouga. Think about how cool it would be with the "Battouga unit"? The most feared and powerful unit known only for its success and power (or something like that). Seems pretty cool to me.

5) In place of these removed one-time-use characters that I mentioned in my first point, then those character slots could be filled with some wolves and monkeys. It would be cool to see that at least some of them chose to join the army and see how they would live their lives and what their roles would be.

6) Some more moments between children and parents, and just better parenting from Weed's and Gin's side. They don't have to be perfect, but considering their characters, I would imagine them to at least be better than what they are.

7) Revive characters that have been thrown in "the void" and either continue their story or conclude it properly. One of the big ones here would be Chutora of course (Even tho his death is technically confirmed, then it's still weird that he just kinda died).

That's what I can think of right now.
Have a nice day!
Fino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fino »

I always felt like the female characters were brushed aside and not given a fair shot. Though this seems to be a common sentiment for Ginga fans. I also hate when characters who should be important just drop off the face of the earth. Like all the siblings of Gin, and Riki for example.
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

Pretty much everything is covered up by the guys here.
I think I would have Kaibutsu (P4) as a main villain instead of Hougen in GDW anime.
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

A lot of what I would do has already been said, but general run down:

-Get rid of the misogyny, which would include swapping a bunch of characters out to be female

-More worldbuilding and fleshing out of dog society and culture

-Cut down on characters and re-use more characters (there are way too many characters that are important for a bit and then are never heard of again)

-Shrink the time gap between GNG and GDW to two years max; Tesshin, Kagetora, Ken, etc. aren't thought of as significantly younger than Gin (cause they're not?!)

-Kill off more oldies, or at least give them less screentime in stories focused on the younger gens (I love the OGs but there's no good reason to have Cross around in GDN of all things); in a similar vein, don't kill characters for no reason especially when you're just gonna replace their sloppily (Seriously, Kyo being shoved into GB's role for Sasuke is such a mess)

-I'm fine with TLW existing but god I would fix the pacing! Actually fix the pacing everywhere, Yoshi loves to lollygag and then make sudden shit happen, probably because he doesn't know where the story is going

-More variation in the journey in GNG, a lot of the encounters are kind of same-y

-More defining character traits, a lot of characters have very similar personalities (less story based, but in terms of art, seriously fix that same-face syndrome- I cannot tell young Weed and Sirius apart)
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

As a fan meddling with the actual creator's work, I'd of course introduce a cringy self-insert protagonist- nah obviously not.

I don't know what I'd change exactly, but I'd maybe elaborate on what happened between GNG and GDW more, it's kind of just a huge empty space that feels unnecessary.

Besides that, maybe I'd actually shorten the time between the series. Never made sense to me why Gin went so long without offspring, and I personally don't like it how the old stars of the series are elderly in GDW, though I understand why that is (new generation taking over and all that).
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

TBH, I'd rewrite everything starting with GNG and all the way to GDN. In general, this is what I would change:
  • Take out the misogyny, but not instantly. Have it be a gradual process in GNG where female characters prove their worth.
  • Keep characters from going into the void, or at least explain what happened to the characters. Depending on how a rewrite from me would work out.
  • Save characters like Weed, Kyoushiro, and Sirius from suffering zero character development and/or character degradation like they did in canon.
  • Improve the villains main villains, such as Akakabuto, Hougen, Genba, Sniper, and Masamune. I have an idea for Hougen and Genba that might be interesting.
  • Maybe have humans be more like villains. I don't necessarily hate the humans in Ginga, but I feel like a majority of humans in Ginga are on the evil side, from the scientists that mutated Kaibutsu, to the humans that killed off the Ohu Army, etc.

-----
Banners and Sprites by GSDJohn

Photoshop Banner by Me

Multiversal Trio Art by Me
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

Some things I would change:
• Add more female characters, maybe even make some male characters female
• Focus more on Rigel and Bella especially.
• Let Gin die. I love Gin, but he's been around for way too long.
• Don't just randomly kill of characters or shove them into the void
• Cut out the characters that didn't really have any importance and add the important characters
• Reduce the time skip between GNG and GDW
• Keep Smith and GB alive
I'd honestly rewrite ALL of GDN and some of TLW.
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”