Do you miss the humans in Ginga?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Nara
Potential
Potential

Do you miss the humans in Ginga?

Post by Nara »

Some things I really loved about GNG were the strong connection between Gin and Daisuke, watching the exciting hunting scenes with humans, the harsh hunting training, and the great characters of Daisuke, Gohee and Hidetoshi, all three very different and full of personality!

But the humans have been phased out of the series since. In later series pretty much the only times we see them are when the dogs need medical attention. The dogs never seem to interact with the humans, except when they need treatment, and for some reason Daisuke and Hidetoshi are more than happy to always patch up countless of random wild dogs which has to get ridicilously expensive. And then the ungrateful dogs never visit them, or at least it's not shown to readers.

Do you miss the humans? I feel like an important core element of the story has been completely abandoned. If we could get plot points with humans the stories would get a lot more variety, instead of just endless repetive battles and roaming around. As an example I don't understand why Andy had to completely abandon Hidetoshi (and why Hidetoshi seems to be okay with his dog just disappearing... again). It would have been more interesting if Andy had stayed with him, but worked as a bridge between the wild dog and human worlds.
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Re: Do you miss the humans in Ginga?

Post by WolfKing »

I do miss them.

Sure, Yoshi focuses on dogs who are the main focus of the stories which is great. But i also wish that the humans could have more role other than helping them when they need medical attention etc, especially since Gin returned to visit him at the end of GDW was so heartwarming. And of course a little later when Daisuke visited the dogs up in the mountains also was great, it showed the bond between him and the dogs.

I think that there should be more of Daisuke and his friends and family bonding and spending time with the dogs, with them visiting each other and etc, because it would give even more depth to the friendship between dogs and humans.

Daisuke and Hidetoshi are also among the few main/supporting characters who haven't changed for the worse, which is a big bonus in Ginga which has recently gotten depressingly cynical, and they breath lightness into the story.
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I honestly thought the parts with the human are boring.

Not that I don't like them, I love Gohei mostly but it just felt like a drag reading/watching the parts with them in it. Like ththe beginning of GNG was rather dull because I just wanted to jump into the dogs' part of the story.

I guess it's because I go into Ginga wanting to read about dogs fighting and stuff and not really caring what the humans are up to.
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Crystal
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Crystal »

I do and don't miss them. It's hard to say. I was never really a fan of a lot of the human characters themselves, but it might be nice to see new characters that play important roles. I understand that the focus is on the dogs, but I think it makes sense to involve humans in some of their stories.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Not really, LOL. :surprisegin:
I feel like the humans provided a good foundation to set up the series - Gohei being the one who trained Shiro, Riki and Gin and Daisuke being the one who taught Gin about brotherhood - but they became so boring by only showing face when the dogs needed rescue/medical treatment. The Ohu Army always felt like they couldn't wait to get away from them, even Gin, and the dogs never seem to want to do anything for them in return.
I do kind of enjoy the dynamic between adult Daisuke and elderly Hidetoshi though. :gdwdaisuke: :hidetoshi:
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Yes and no.

Yes because having a higher human presence makes the story seem a little more realistic, seeing too many dogs/animals is a bit too boring, and for some reason, I have more fun translating the human's language. It would be cool if we had a human villain.

No because they affect the dogs' situations to a high extent (Daisuke and Hidetoshi helping dogs out of their crises, Humans shooting Tokimune's group, etc.). The Ouu Army wouldn't be where they are now if not for human intervention.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Yes and no as well.

I think in GNG the humans were well done but I don't like how they are used in GDW onward. Its definitely tougher because they are all feral dogs now and not people's hunting dogs.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

LIBRAKIND wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:51 pm This is probably an unpopular opinion but I honestly thought the parts with the human are boring.

Not that I don't like them, I love Gohei mostly but it just felt like a drag reading/watching the parts with them in it. Like ththe beginning of GNG was rather dull because I just wanted to jump into the dogs' part of the story.

I guess it's because I go into Ginga wanting to read about dogs fighting and stuff and not really caring what the humans are up to.
Shining Sirius wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:50 pm Not really, LOL. :surprisegin:
I feel like the humans provided a good foundation to set up the series - Gohei being the one who trained Shiro, Riki and Gin and Daisuke being the one who taught Gin about brotherhood - but they became so boring by only showing face when the dogs needed rescue/medical treatment.
I agree with all this. I didn't care too much for the beginning, though it did provide a decent start of the story. After GNG, they were just used as convenient ways for main dogs to live/be saved with interference/have some interruption that cause everyone to have to separate from a fight.
I know whenever I rewatch GNG, I always skip to episode 7 :tfw_bella1:

ImageImage
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I don't mind on both points but the series has always not been very clear on what it thinks of humans like we have some that will help the dogs but we also have alot that abandon puppies to die in the wilderness! Think about it - Rocket and his brothers, Hook and his siblings, Mel and Bob? Mel is the one that really gets me because they got another dog and who is to say if that dog doesn't do something wrong that it won't get abandoned!?
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I liked the bond between Gin and Daisuke in the beginning. But to be honest, I don't really care about humans. They don't do that much, only helping dogs that's hurt and more. And the rest is about dogs. So I enjoy reading dogs and don't mind the humans that much.
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Dragon wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:33 am I know whenever I rewatch GNG, I always skip to episode 7 :tfw_bella1:
Oh thats interesting! I always found the beginning of GNG so iconic and unskippable but I suppose it makes sense if someone really does not like the humans.
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Dragon wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:33 am I know whenever I rewatch GNG, I always skip to episode 7 :tfw_bella1:
I do that too! :orion3:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Wakasaki
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wakasaki »

I'll start by saying that I haven't really read much Ginga past the Hougen-arc in GDW because I lost interest (I didn't really like GDW to begin with and have had a hard time finding much interest in the other sequels). I've tried to keep up with the general happenings though and I will say that, yes, I miss the humans in Ginga. Quite a lot, actually.

GNG is my favorite of all the mangas, with GDR being a close second, partly because of that human connection with the dogs. Dogs and humans have walked side by side for basically as long as the modern human has existed, at first as wolves that we later tamed and domesticated into dogs. The bond between our two species is undeniable, and part of what makes GNG, and GDR, so great is to see that bond develop between the dogs and the humans. Yes, later on in GNG the humans play less and less of a role, but Gin's training with both Gohee and Daisuke is something that's still always with him, and his bond with the two is something that he always remembers and is there at the back of his mind. Especially his bond with Daisuke is that of a great and neverending friendship, a bond that may even be stronger than any other bond that Gin has.

And then, later on as the sequels progresses, that bond seem to be completely thrown away. Daisuke turns into little more than a handwave excuse for Yoshi in order to keep characters alive. "Oh, wounded and on the brink of death? He should definitely be really, really dead? Nah mate, they got patched up by Daisuke and/or Hidetoshi, they're fine". I kind of find it a little bit insulting.

I get that Yoshi wants the story to be about the dogs, and that a lot of the fans wants the same. People are attracted to Ginga for a reason, and that reason mainly being that we like dogs and want to see these dogs do cool, amazing things. But I think you can have plots involving humans and still have the main focus be on the dogs. Dogs and humans goes hand in hand, and I find it disappointing that the human/dog-connection isn't used more.

I mean, GNG ends with Gohee dying while holding his last bearhound, Gin, in his arms and that same bearhound afterwards gathering all the Ou soldiers to pay their respect to Gohee during the funeral procession. I think that alone speaks volumes about how important the human connection is and that it's something that should be explored more beyond just bad snippets of "human mistreating dog" or handwavy excuses of "Daisuke/Hidetoshi healing dogs to keep the characters alive".

Not to mention that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense of having these large groups of dogs running around and there being no humans that are curious about it, that interfere with the dogs or, you know, just generally get involved one way or another. I mean, come on now. I'm not asking for real-life realism here, this is a manga about dogs spinning like crazy, being ninjas, featuring impossibly large bears and whatever have you. But just a little bit realism could be nice, you know? Just a little bit?
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Wakasaki wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:23 pm And then, later on as the sequels progresses, that bond seem to be completely thrown away. Daisuke turns into little more than a handwave excuse for Yoshi in order to keep characters alive. "Oh, wounded and on the brink of death? He should definitely be really, really dead? Nah mate, they got patched up by Daisuke and/or Hidetoshi, they're fine". I kind of find it a little bit insulting.
I feel the same way. This is why I both miss and dont miss the humans, because whenever they show up post-GNG its always for dumb things like this. :bella3:

The dog-human bond in GNG was so special, it sucks that its never as strong in the later series and its only ever used for plot armor. Gin and Daisuke's bond these days just feels... meh. :/
onakaxy

Post by onakaxy »

might be in the minority but i never really cared for the human parts of the show. Usually i skip most of them when i'm watching GNG or reading it
This doggo has the sneezos
davidefenara

Post by davidefenara »

I really don't miss them although I think it'd be cool if we had the scientist who experimented on Kaibutsu as a main antagonist for an arc
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

Raki wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:18 pm
I do that too! :orion3:
lol, same. But might be because dogs weren't talking yet.

I like Gin's connection to Daisuke, but I don't really miss humans. I think they've played their role and while I appreciate them in GNG - after all it was about pet dogs leaving their owners - I absolutely hate how they use humans in later mangas - as Deus Ex Machina and a plot device Free Healthcare Service. At least in GNG and (most of) GDW dogs were on thier own, now whenever something bad happens humans come to the resctue with guns and healhcare.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Vicutooru
Potential
Potential

Post by Vicutooru »

Yeah...
:EMPTY:
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

No haha
Like I love Gin and Daisuke's connection, but other that, I do not want nor need them. I am here to watch a dumb show about misogynistic spinning muscle dogs, I don't want humans.
Unbothered. Moisturized. Happy. In My Lane. Focused. Flourishing

Bear photo by Dennis Field
Av by OsoAventuroso
chance

Post by chance »

not really. im here for the dogs

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”