How do you say characters' names?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

How do you say characters' names?

Post by Wolpard »

Since the Ginga anime have never been dubbed in English, and our fandom is very text based, I'm curious how people pronounce certain character names in an English-speaking context since there's no official pronunciations. I guess this is more of a question about characters who have Western names (George, Jerome, etc.), since characters with Japanese names are probably universally pronounced the original Japanese way (with maybe some exceptions, since I know some nordic folks call Daisuke "die suki" because thats how it was in the dub).

For example I've heard Jerome pronounced with an "uh" at the end of his name by some fans, more similar to the way his name is pronounced in Japanese, but I've always just said it the English way, with a silent e.

George I also pronounce as George instead of Jouji, since Jouji is just the best way to pronounce George in Japanese iirc.

I say Mel instead of Mer too because I think Mel just sounds better in English... I know his full name is Mercedes, but if I remember correctly he was named after a dog Yoshi had who was nicknamed "Mer/Mel" because of Mel Gibson. The whole l/r thing in Japanese makes it a weirder translation of the nickname in English but I think Mer just doesn't work that well in English, personally.

The star sibs I also pronounce all of their names the English way. Rigel like the words rye and gel. Orion like oh and Ryan. Sirius like serious. Bellatrix like bell a tricks..... I thought this was universal with the English speaking fandom until I learned on the discord people pronounced some of their names differently (mainly Rigel and Orion).

Weed I also just say as Weed instead of "Weedo/U-ido", though I think that goes for most of the English fandom unless people are trying to be cute about his name and saying it the Japanese way? Dunno.

Anyway, how do you pronounce certain character's names? :orion3:
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: How do you say characters' names?

Post by Kasi »

I pronounce Orion the Japanese way O-ri-on.

Rigel as Re-gal ... I don't know why for this one, that's just how it rolls in my head, and I've never heard the constellation brought up to know otherwise.

Sirius as Si-re-us

English Mel, George, Weed... but I'm a dumb-ass and didn't know that Jerome, is not an alternate spelling of the name Jeremy... so I try hard now to remember to pronounce his name as Jer-rome now.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Kasi wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:51 am I pronounce Orion the Japanese way O-ri-on.

Rigel as Re-gal ... I don't know why for this one, that's just how it rolls in my head, and I've never heard the constellation brought up to know otherwise.

Sirius as Si-re-us

English Mel, George, Weed... but I'm a dumb-ass and didn't know that Jerome, is not an alternate spelling of the name Jeremy... so I try hard now to remember to pronounce his name as Jer-rome now.
You don't seem to be the only one to pronounce Rigel that way! I know when it was brought up in the discord several people said thats how they pronounce it. Not sure where it comes from either other than I guess that's how a lot of people read that string of letters in their head. My roommate pronounced the star with a hard g as well (rye gyell) when we were talking about star themed stuff (coincidentally her cat is named Orion so she is into star themed names).

Also when I was a kid I thought Jerome was an alternate spelling of Jeremy too (also in the context of Ginga, it doesnt help that in Japanese they do pronounce an "uh" after so the anime pronunciation added to that belief), or something similar, until I heard my dad say the name out loud. XD
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I'm surprised the Rigel pronunciation can be seen differently... I always think of Nigel Thornberry when I read his name as it's the same pronunciation apart from the N of course.

:tfw_rigel1: sMASHING
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Arano wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:05 pm I'm surprised the Rigel pronunciation can be seen differently... I always think of Nigel Thornberry when I read his name as it's the name pronunciation apart from the N of course.

:tfw_rigel1: sMASHING
Same, I mean that's the correct way to say it in English. :p I was surprised at first to learn some people say it differently!
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

I personally just pronounce George, Jerome, Weed, and Orion the way you'd normally pronounce the English versions of those names because they sound the most correct to my ears at least. I also pronounce Rigel as re-gal, Sirius as "serious", and Bellatrix as Bell-ay-trix.
The translation I'm currently reading for GDW also translates Lenny's name to "Renny" I know that's the correct way her name is translated, but Lenny just sounds better to me
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Nerdykestrel74 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:39 am I personally just pronounce George, Jerome, Weed, and Orion the way you'd normally pronounce the English versions of those names because they sound the most correct to my ears at least. I also pronounce Rigel as re-gal, Sirius as "serious", and Bellatrix as Bell-ay-trix.
The translation I'm currently reading for GDW also translates Lenny's name to "Renny" I know that's the correct way her name is translated, but Lenny just sounds better to me
I also say Lenny, I think it sounds better in an English context. Also I'm fairly sure that's what it is supposed to be since its written in katakana, which is usually used for foreign words and names, and I think its more likely Yoshi meant the name Lenny.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I have been saying the name Akame wrong for years because I was start with 'Ala'!

And Sirius I pronounced once as 'Cyrus' and Shigure I pronounced as 'Sugar' once, usually listened to the anime to pronounce most of them correctly

But then again, I've always had trouble organising words in my mind so maybe this was unavoidable.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Suetic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suetic »

I say Rigel as "re-gehl", like Miguel but with soft R instead M.

InstagramToyhou.seTumblrTwitter

⚡Avatar by Pikafuey.⚡
GSDJohn
Champion
Champion

Post by GSDJohn »

-Mel, George, John, Weed, Orion, Blue, Nero, Rick, Bill, Sniper and any other western name not mentioned below: English pronunctiation.

:jerome: Jerome: This could be a bit of a strange case. I actually switch the pronunctiation depending on the language I'm speaking. I use the regular english pronunctiation on English, I say "Jeh-rom" (Or is it Juh-rome? Hopefully my spelling makes it clear how I pronounce it) if it's on Japanese and "Heh-roh-meh" if it's Spanish. Yeah, I know the correct one should be the same regardless of language but I like better to pronounce it "naturally" according to the language (The name is pretty confusing anyway, I remember watching a fandub where they used "Jeh-ro-meh". That actually made me think that the katakana was "Jerome" and it was fairly later that I found out that it's "Jeromu" :'), and let's not even get started about how they seem to say "Jeh-rom-uh" in the original even if single "u" sounds at the end are supposed to be silent on Japanese)

:rigel: Rigel as "Regal" and :sirius: Sirius as "Serious".
Last edited by GSDJohn on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~ Image ~

TeePublic Merch

Crumble, Oreo Bastard! :hougen: 🍪

---
Banners and Papercrafts by me. Multiversal Trio Art by SoullessDog. DTJ Art by Dolan!
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

I dont think I ever heard Jerome pronounced in any other way but Juh-rome :tfw_rigel1: There's three people in my family named Jerome and thats how they say it, that's how everyone around days it including me so I say it the same way when I saw Jerome ahaha

Rigel I thought would be said like Nigel as well

Lil me though used to pronounce Kyoshiro as "Kai-o-shy-row" and now my brain thinks that sounds really weird :yama1:
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

LIBRAKIND wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:33 pm I dont think I ever heard Jerome pronounced in any other way but Juh-rome :tfw_rigel1: There's three people in my family named Jerome and thats how they say it, that's how everyone around days it including me so I say it the same way when I saw Jerome ahaha

Lil me though used to pronounce Kyoshiro as "Kai-o-shy-row" and now my brain thinks that sounds really weird :yama1:
Thats cute :tfw_bella2:

Remind me when I was little I accented and pronounced Akame's name wrong and said "uh-kami" instead of the proper "aka-may"
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Wolpard wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:57 pm
LIBRAKIND wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:33 pm I dont think I ever heard Jerome pronounced in any other way but Juh-rome :tfw_rigel1: There's three people in my family named Jerome and thats how they say it, that's how everyone around days it including me so I say it the same way when I saw Jerome ahaha

Thats cute :tfw_bella2:

Remind me when I was little I accented and pronounced Akame's name wrong and said "uh-kami" instead of the proper "aka-may"
THATS EXACTLY HOW I USED TO PRONOUNCE AKAME TOO
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”