Speculation on the Fate of Ginga When Takahashi Passes Away

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Sat_Cab

Speculation on the Fate of Ginga When Takahashi Passes Away

Post by Sat_Cab »

I doubt I'm the only one pondering this. Yoshi is 66, it's a likely possibility he'll have a fatal complication. If that happens, would Ginga die along with him? Would there be a successor? If so, would it be for the best or the worst for the series? I remember reading his mention of his son being a part of a high school manga club. Does anyone know if his son is perusing that hobby as a career or was it something that he just explored once and never returned to? What if Yoshi died in the middle of his work on a story arc?
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Speculation on the Fate of Ginga When Takahashi Passes Away

Post by Phantom Riki »

I think either way it's done.Most of the main characters have died.So at this time,I don't think it matters whether he continues it.It is just my opinion.
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I assume that if he did pass away* before the story was finished, the series would be over, plain and simple. I don't know if there are any manga series that have been picked up by another person after the original author died, but I assume it's pretty rare (if it happens at all). The fact that Ginga seems to be pretty niche as far as manga goes presumably doesn't help, nor does the fact that Yoshi has admitted himself that he writes by the seat of his pants so he wouldn't have a written-out plan for the series that his potential successor could follow.

If, however, he did die in the middle of the story and someone had to continue with the series, my guess is that one of his assistants would be chosen for the job, though again I have no idea how these sorts of things usually go in the industry. I don't think he's ever talked about his children being interested in the business, aside from mentioning his son being in the high school manga club in his end-of-volume essay for GDW volume 31 and that was 15 years ago. Since he himself admits that it's rare for the children of a mangaka to pursue the same career as their parent in said essay, I assume he would've said something over the years if his son was looking to become his successor.

*Or otherwise had to stop drawing for other health-related reasons. There were rumors that the incredibly rushed ending of TLW and the short hiatus afterwards were because he was having problems with arthritis, after all.

Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

Hey now, he's only 66! I deal with patient mortality reports, and I can tell you a death at that age would raise an eyebrow. I'd be more worried about him suffering with an upper limb disorder, from making manga for so many years, and having to retire for that.

I can't see it being kept up, unless maybe everything is full scripted from the start (which is... doubtful to say the least) and his assistants keep it up. And even then, I imagine it would be at the nearest point it could make sense to stop, rather than to the full end of the manga.

edit: I literally just opened up a report on a patient with the same birth year as our boy Yoshihiro, so what do I know haha
A red pandolar bear pandolar bearing along

Pfp and sig by Akame <3
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Personally I feel like it would just stop where its left off because Ginga isn't that popular. I can't imagine there being anyone who would be the successor to it.
Morti wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:41 pm Hey now, he's only 66! I deal with patient mortality reports, and I can tell you a death at that age would raise an eyebrow. I'd be more worried about him suffering with an upper limb disorder, from making manga for so many years, and having to retire for that.
I was thinking that too, especially since the life expectancy in Japan is pretty high compared to most of the world. Though the unexpected could always happen.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I am sure that Takahashi will finish his series before he passes away. GDN looks to be the finale, at least. But I don’t know. He could plan just one more manga in the series as a sequel to GDN.

Like Digsu said, Takahashi probably has an assistant, or someone, to take charge of the series if he passes away during the current progress. Here’s the thing, though. It’s really possible that he planned things way ahead with his series. So if he wants to continue the Ginga series with at least one more manga after GDN but passes away during the progress, he might already have set up someone to continue on with the series until full completion, fulfilling his final wishes with Takahashi’s own ideas or scenario of the story.

Again, he might finish the series before he passes, but I’m also certain that he’s given trust to someone to work on it to Takahashi’s desire completion if he were to pass away during the current progress because Takahashi has planned things way ahead.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”