Is anyone overrated?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Re: Is anyone overrated?

Post by Leomonade »

With Riki I also feel like he is less like a character and more like an icon of strength and object for the other characters' admiration...
I kinda feel Riki is kinda a victim of Yoshi's tell but don't show. Like yeah, we do see him do stuff but he hardly feels like a character to me. It feels off to me that he is suddenly after his amnesia supposed to be soooo charismatic the wild dogs basically shit their pants and cry when they just see him?? He is a character with a purpose but hardly any depth. Riki is one of the characters that become interesting the more theories the fans come up with IMO. To me, he was first just the excuse to get Gin into training, then a weird icon for what "an ideal man/soldier is". Even though he got hurt he became an untouchable warrior up until the very end of the series (like did anyone ever worry how Riki was doing while reading/watching the series??? Cause I didn't XD)... And that's why he had to die (from a creator's perspective). He was the strongest most amazing dude ever so he had to be removed for Gin to move up in ranks and become the leader.

Idk if I would call him overrated tho? Just like Gin is the "special-ridiculously-strong-shonen-protag-with-no-chance-of-dying" Riki is that OP role model the protag idolizes. Pretty much every shonen series has at least one. I think Riki completed his role pretty ok. I personally would have loved to see more of him but GNG, in general, isn't a series you'd call "deep" so I think it's kinda too much to ask! XD
Image Image
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

To me, I think Kurotora is deeply overrated. The same guy who is grumpy and has bad temper issues needs therapy. :tfw_bella1:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Sandatora
Translator
Translator

Post by Sandatora »

Fandom wise: Bella and John

Icon by VyzWares on Twitter!
🌺 Art topic | Oc generator & Picrew | Art Fight | Toyhouse | Tumblr | Art Tumblr 🌺
ZackThePuppy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZackThePuppy »

Sandatora wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:09 pm Fandom wise: Bella and John
Same, I always found John boring.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”