Is there a time Ginga ever extended your disbelief too far?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Is there a time Ginga ever extended your disbelief too far?

Post by Gingaddict »

Is there any time you felt the Ginga series and other related series pulled off something you thought was too hard to believe even by the series' own standards? Was you Disbelief ever straight too far

For example, for me it would have to be Tenka's power of mind control to kill and catch birds, I thought went too over the top as no other character even hinted at having these kinds of powers and it doesn't really too much to further the story so I ended up thinking what was the point of this?
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Is there a time Ginga ever extended your disbelief too far?

Post by JazzyJazz »

Hougen's weird-ass plot armor drove me up the wall, ngl. I get that he can't just die in one arc, but dogs can't even get close enough to touch him because he's somehow able to dodge/incapacitate everyone who tries attacking him. Like, he's literally just some young punk who spent the first half of his life starving, how is he this hard to fight!?
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

Ben coming to life again after being crushed by a rock at Moss’s lair.

Puppy Gin lifting Benizakura into the air

The size of the three Tibetan Mastiffs and the Great Dane looking one in GDN.

Sure in Ginga we swallow a lot of crazy stuff, but those just don’t sit with me at all. Particularly the first and last, maybe the benizakura one was presented better in the manga, I’m just relying on my memory of the anime.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Besides the Battouga and the wolf arc, I'll name a few times:

Benizakura's blood creating a sakura in the pond. It's probably why I can't ever fully take his death seriously ;; Sorry ;o;

Gin's constant gary-stuing in GNG

Little Daisuke getting super buff. Forever disturbed by that.

When I think about the amount of times people have survived falling down ravines/waterfalls.

Recently: Orion pulling Shuou with ease just by his foot and running off with him. There's only one other time I saw this kinda thing happen and it was Moss biting Akakabuto's ankle and making him trip. Big difference is Moss is a giant muscled guy, and Orion... not so much, no matter how skilled he is.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kasi wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:27 pm Ben coming to life again after being crushed by a rock at Moss’s lair.
I see your "Ben surviving getting squashed by a rock" and I raise "Ben regaining his sight after getting Battouga'd upside the head".

"I've heard that somebody once went blind after Mukonga hit them with Geki Sentsuuhi Battouga, but since Ben was already blind the attack must have healed his damaged optic nerves instead!" how is that even supposed to make sense, if someone's leg is broken it's not going to get unbroken if I hit it with a giant hammer now is it? And isn't Geki Sentsuuhi Battouga supposed to work by destroying the victim's internal tissue where it hits, why would an attack like that heal your opponent under any circumstances??

Would it really have been weirder to just have Ben kick ass despite his blindness instead? :yama1:

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Aaaaa these are all so painfully real LOL It hurts!
But the one that especially bugged me is this one:
JazzyJazz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:15 pm Hougen's weird-ass plot armor drove me up the wall, ngl. I get that he can't just die in one arc, but dogs can't even get close enough to touch him because he's somehow able to dodge/incapacitate everyone who tries attacking him. Like, he's literally just some young punk who spent the first half of his life starving, how is he this hard to fight!?
It's like.. why even bother going against Hougen at all, if Yoshi insisted Hougen can't die yet x_x Might as well have made chapters and chapters of him hiding and them failing to find him than make him LITERALLY invincible. The guy took 2 battougas, possibly 3? at this point, and he can STILL be a threat?! He never had insanely harsh training, even in his starved dog farm he was stuck in he just yelled at everyone to eat each other for laughter sake. Genba and Hougen have both gone through the same things together, but Genba was able to be defeated.. so why not Hougen? :l In the end, it didn't even matter that Weed battouga'd him because he still walked off and was able to charge at that human. Like..what did the battouga even do!? If the guy didn't have that shotgun, he'd be dead!

ImageImage
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Kasi wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:27 pm Ben coming to life again after being crushed by a rock at Moss’s lair.

Sure in Ginga we swallow a lot of crazy stuff, but those just don’t sit with me at all. Particularly the first and last, maybe the benizakura one was presented better in the manga, I’m just relying on my memory of the anime.
Actually Gin still lifted Benizakura into the air in the manga
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Gingaddict wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Actually Gin still lifted Benizakura into the air in the manga
Yeaahh, the scene made it seem like with Gin's jumping skills, he could lift Beni somehow.
Bad excuse, but theres no excuse for both the anime and manga making newly joined Gin being able to lift MOSS when he was angry about Ben. Hs shouldve been squished! Even Blanka in GDWO squished himself basically to death when he lifted Gennai and he's an adult lol

ImageImage
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

That time that Weed was shot repeatedly and was fine. And also the time with him and hybrid bear. Hybrid bear stomped on him, but Weed wasn't crushed because he (Weed) was... light? ok fish
Unbothered. Moisturized. Happy. In My Lane. Focused. Flourishing

Bear photo by Dennis Field
Av by OsoAventuroso
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

JazzyJazz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:15 pm Hougen's weird-ass plot armor drove me up the wall, ngl. I get that he can't just die in one arc, but dogs can't even get close enough to touch him because he's somehow able to dodge/incapacitate everyone who tries attacking him. Like, he's literally just some young punk who spent the first half of his life starving, how is he this hard to fight!?
I mainly saw this as a problem when he fought with Toube, I know Toube was injured but he was a trained fighting dog and he didn't even get one hit on him? HOW?!

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Gonna be honest, I'm not phased by a lot of the crazy shit that happens because it's what I expect from Ginga. Even Tenka doesn't throw me off that much because we have seen dogs with "magical" powers before him, like Batto.

But there are some things that really do bug me, like how a lot of character's no longer get scars from their wounds. The fact that characters earlier on did maintain scars I think is what makes it so "unbelievable" by Ginga standards to me. Weed should definitely have scars by now, and those facial wounds Akame got in TLW should have stuck around!! They're similar in intensity to Gin's scars as a puppy, so by previously established standards, Akame should have facial scars.
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

So far the only thing for me has been that time during the wolf arc in gng where Ben somehow managed to get his sight back after Mukonga hits him on the head hard enough. Though, most of the stuff presented in the wolf arc was weird and didn't fit the world of ginga so yeah :tfw_aokabuto2:
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

I've been able to tolerate huge villains up to a point (until it basically became a requirement for being a Ginga villain). Kaibustu and Shougun were big from human experiments (and I assume the same happened to the Aka-ari brothers since humans are responsible for their size)... Akakabuto grew big from nerve damage...a bit unbelievable, but I bought it...but one thing I cannot believe is Monsoon growing big because of having a grudge.

I know that grudges are tied to folklore and entertainment in Japan, but having your body grow just because you're angry is something I cannot believe. If that were so, a whole lotta Ginga characters should be huge.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

fantachan wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:21 pm I've been able to tolerate huge villains up to a point (until it basically became a requirement for being a Ginga villain). Kaibustu and Shougun were big from human experiments (and I assume the same happened to the Aka-ari brothers since humans are responsible for their size)... Akakabuto grew big from nerve damage...a bit unbelievable, but I bought it...but one thing I cannot believe is Monsoon growing big because of having a grudge.

I know that grudges are tied to folklore and entertainment in Japan, but having your body grow just because you're angry is something I cannot believe. If that were so, a whole lotta Ginga characters should be huge.
Yukimura would be a freakin giant compared to Shogun if that's how things worked :EXCITE:

ImageImage
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Well there's a bunch of unnatural stuff in it but I've never thought it was about real life. I've always known it is fictive
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

I always have hard time digesting how Akakabuto managed to grow ridiculously huge in size.Compared to a normal sized bear or even a grizzly,he is massive.Now we all know how it was explained...that bullet damaged his nerve system and caused him to become huge.Even then I can't take a seriously :( 🤷
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

Okay, I'm currently reading the Russian Dog arc and I managed to find another thing that bugged me. The fact that a pack of only 60 dogs were able to kill Hakuro's entire army of 300 without losing a single member of their own group is very #doubt. I don't care how well trained in fighting these dogs are, the fact that they had a near flawless victory despite being massively outnumbered is really stupid if you ask me :EMPTY:
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Nerdykestrel74 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:47 pm Okay, I'm currently reading the Russian Dog arc and I managed to find another thing that bugged me. The fact that a pack of only 60 dogs were able to kill Hakuro's entire army of 300 without losing a single member of their own group is very #doubt. I don't care how well trained in fighting these dogs are, the fact that they had a near flawless victory despite being massively outnumbered is really stupid if you ask me :EMPTY:
Hakuro's army was mentioned to be only 130 dogs at max after everyone had gathered. The 300 that was mentioned was an estimate how many there were before the Russian army came, and they had destroyed half of that army before they had gathered together, making their (Russian army's) victory more believable.
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Without a single ounce of sarcasm here Ginga extended my disbelief and is still stretching it to this very day ever since Kurokirimaru, Tsumuji, and Kousetsu in GDWO preformed the ultimate technique of “Flying into asshole like majestic crane”, where Kousetsu throws himself into the bottom of a pregnant bear and comes out of its stomach holding an unborn bear cub with the intention of using it as food.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Avatar by Kasi | Banner by Sandatora
Eclipse-Wolven
Legend
Legend

Post by Eclipse-Wolven »

Gingaddict wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:41 pm For example, for me it would have to be Tenka's power of mind control to kill and catch birds, I thought went too over the top as no other character even hinted at having these kinds of powers and it doesn't really too much to further the story so I ended up thinking what was the point of this?
This one. There were others before this that I thought were ridiculous but this was maybe the first one that I actively hated. In fact, everything about Tenka was ridiculous IMO.
Banner by Kairi292 & Avatar by Kasi

My stories (on FF.net):
Ginga Densetsu Weed: Dark Legend
The Chronicles Of Ohu

For he today who sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother...

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”