What's your least favorite thing about your favorite character?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

What's your least favorite thing about your favorite character?

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

If you wanna say anything about the manga or anime, please, make sure to put it as a spoiler, because I haven't read everything yet:) I have watched both animes, but there might be people that haven't but I don't know. But please, make it a spoiler:) It would be very kind of you.

Simple. Just, what is it that you absolutely just DON'T like about your favorite character(s)?

What I don't like about my favorite character (John), is the fact that he is reckless and careless. Even tho it's what I like about him in the first place, then it is also what makes me think "what in the world are you doing!?" sometimes.
Have a nice day!
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: What's your least favorite thing about your favorite character?

Post by JazzyJazz »

What I don't like about Kyoushiro is how Yoshi turned him into a joke that's always angry and can't fight to save his life. Instead of being a savior for puppies and having the balls to stand up to Weed, he now hangs on Weed's every word and beats the shit out of a kid for having the audacity to not want his help. It's just really disgusting.

Another fav of mine is Gin, and what I don't like is how stoic and blank he is from GDW onward. I get that he's older but it seems like his original fire was stripped away in order to make him a more "adult" Weed. Because Weed always has to be right, Gin can't even be a good father because Yoshi just can't fathom having a main character be wrong in some way. I just want my bold, yet gentle Gin back :C

Finally, Orion. I love this guy, but TLW is where Yoshi really fucked up with him. I get wanting a more hot-headed guy, Kyoushiro, Kurotora and other characters are already like that, but was it really necessary to make Orion borderline psychotic at random points just to keep up the whole war vs. peace thing? Especially when it doesn't even amount to anything like Rigel stepping up as a leader. GDN's take on him is extra annoying because I refuse to buy that Sirius' death was anyone else's fault except his own stupid self. Orion shouldn't be mourning that dipshit.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

JazzyJazz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 am Another fav of mine is Gin, and what I don't like is how stoic and blank he is from GDW onward. I get that he's older but it seems like his original fire was stripped away in order to make him a more "adult" Weed. Because Weed always has to be right, Gin can't even be a good father because Yoshi just can't fathom having a main character be wrong in some way. I just want my bold, yet gentle Gin back :C
Yeah. I have noticed that thing where the main character is always right. I have definitely seen some changes in Gin just be reading what I have read so far. There is not really much for me to say, since I haven't finished GDW yet after all, but still, I can definitely see what you mean.
Have a nice day!
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

What i don't like about Akame is that he's these days just another icon like almost every single GNG character with hardly any personality at all. Sure he's calm, friendly, wise, loyal and understanding and that's what i love about him. But i've noted that these days he's also "Practically perfect in every way" and several fans who don't like him say he's practically Gary Stu. He used to be realistically flawed like others and highly interesting. He's simply become more flat since Orion became the protagonist.

And like JazzyJazz said, Gin is dull as piece of wood and the dashing and charming one should return.
As for Kyoushirou, don't get me started
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

My favourite was Weed but ever since Orion and Co came, he's been falling to bits! His morals keep going back and forth, he's constantly exiling and dismissing his children and he didn't let the fallen soldiers' families know their loved ones had died (I mean Gin did it for years and Weed has not even done it once and now Ohu's in trouble because of it!) He shows zero emotion now and just look like a copy of Gin without scars. I'm sorry, but I HATE adult Weed's look, he's an emotionless blank slate! :tfw_sirius4:

It's like he's purposely got to look bad so Orion and Co look good and that is not good writing! I do kinda get why he would be against Orion killing enemies but then you look at how he acted with Teru's dad and it makes things harder to get a grasp on. Also when did he suddenly become such a weakling? I mean he sprouted magical wounds in Last Wars just to keep him out of the picture? Couldn't it have been something else that actually made sense? Also his son was literally bleeding to death in front of him but he's like, just keep the attack going?!

Also I hate the fact they have to play him up as like a lord and saviour type figure like throughout the Russian arc, they kept saying the oldies were struggling because the young ones and their leader weren't there and I was like 'one dog can't defeat a army of a thousand'. Especially became evident in Last Wars as the moment he's hit, everything falls to pieces, it made everyone look useless, weak and whiny!

He's slowly getting better in GDN but as far as I'm concerned he's gonna have to do something pretty spectacular to make up for the shit he did to Sirius and return to his kinder ways instead of this 'dot that again I'll kill you' rubbish. I'm glad he's not the leader anymore because Ohu kept falling apart whether he was in charge!

It's up to the point where I don't even call him just Weed but Adult Weed instead because the Weed I know would NOT have turned out like this bag of crap! :bella4:
Last edited by Gingaddict on Wed May 20, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

-Izou: He was really rude for no reason with his bros in the beginning. It was a weird beginning trait that faded away immediately.

-Akatora: I found it weird when Aka would talk about 'fighting for justice' and stuff like that. This wild dog who's been fighting anything and everything with his three brothers all for the sake of survival shouldn't understand the concept of justice lol I mean, they almost accepted fighting 1v3 like it was no big deal.

-Jerome: I don't like his betrayal towards his friend P4... He couldn't even talk to him to try changing his mind or anything...

-Lydia: Ignoring the fact she became backgrounddog#53, when she was more main, I didn't like how spammy she was about her brother. I like their relationship and she can care about him a lot, but... it was almost a questionable amount o3o

ImageImage
Knight
Potential
Potential

Post by Knight »

Kurotora/ didn't like how he sacrificed his nephews and then forgot about them although I'm convinced that was just Yoshi writing syndrome.
Akatora/ I know this is a weird one but I didn't like how he became "the main brother" when it was supposed to be them as a trio. Then it was like he was just a character but sometimes he has brothers. I mean their cool factor was them being a trio
John/ ...........I've been thinking for a very long time but I can't come up with anything. I'm sorry the man's perfect
Kyoushirou/ DOUBT I have to say it.
Dragon wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm -Jerome: I don't like his betrayal towards his friend P4... He couldn't even talk to him to try changing his mind or anything...

-Lydia: Ignoring the fact she became backgrounddog#53
They're not my absolute favorites like the others I mentioned but I still like them and facts
  ─────────── ʏᴀᴋsʜᴀ :john:
//art by Dragon
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Tesshin is my fav because he has an interesting back story, he's a badass, has a great concept, a lot of potential, and a great design. Buuuuuuut, Yoshi tends to write him pretty flat most of the time. I really wish Yoshi would explore his emotions more. I mean yeah he gets mad at Ohu 'cause he thinks they've been lying to him, but I think there is a lot more potential for complex emotions. Guy was raised by the top generals in the army, trained by Gin to do the Battouga only for him to never be able to master it cause he doesn't have "bearhound blood". He's the forgotten heir. Surely he must have some kinda feelings about that, even if he is an honorable dude. Not to mention his father's whole deal.

Granted Yoshi just writes characters flat most of the time anyway.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Ignoring the whole Jyousiro fiasco, for a moment what I didn't like in Kyoushiro's visiting his brothers' grave was when he ended up thinking "a parent is a parent" and regretting not giving his murderous dad a chance to redeem himself, because of Weed's words and Teru's dad dying.

But it felt more like Yoshi's morality of "a bad father is better than a dead one" spilling into that scene.

He was flawed in the Hougen arc, but his flaws made sense for his character and he grew as a person from them in the end of the arc, both in the anime and manga (though it was a bit more explicit in the anime imo).

Now since the Hybrid arc his flaws have been making me think this is a fladerized husk of his former self who never went through a character development, he's 4+ and acting less mature than back when he was only a 1 year old!

Also his DESIGN NOW IS TERRIBLE. Seriously, remove the eyelashes and he looks like puppy Bon.
icon by azzai
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Knight wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:22 pm Akatora/ I know this is a weird one but I didn't like how he became "the main brother" when it was supposed to be them as a trio. Then it was like he was just a character but sometimes he has brothers. I mean their cool factor was them being a trio
I HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT FOR AGES! THANK YOU FOR AGREEING WITH ME!! :tfw_bella2:
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Weed
He has been so screwed up since GDWO. I was hoping that he would be a nicely good father to his children. But alas, he turned out to be a terrible father as GDWO progressed. He didn’t spend good time with his children, didn’t do enough teaching to them about life, and was unfavorably willing to exile Orion for not agreeing or accepting his morals. It doesn’t even matter that Orion was biting his father in super frustration. I know that Weed wanted Orion to understand his morals and belief. But Weed failed to teach his own son about life and how his morals work. And he failed to understand how his own son felt in that situation. Although, I’m happy that they forgave and made up with each other as father and son, proving that they still love each other. But that scene in GDWO was so excruciating. And since he did the same to Sirius (not that I liked Sirius at all because of what he did in TLW), Weed could have a hard time recovering from all the shit that happened near the end of TLW. He better get better again in GDN, for his own sake. And I kind of agree with Gingaddict. Weed probably shouldn’t be the leader anymore at this point. And he should have gotten some scars after taking that critical hit from the bear minion. Who knows if that hit to the head changed him dramatically?

Orion
I want to echo what JazzyJazz said. Jazzy, I hope you’re okay with it.

I thought Orion would be a better grown and more noble character in TLW than what he was as a puppy in GDWO. But instead, Yoshi fucked him up badly in TLW. I didn’t like Orion being a real hotheaded madman. If I remember correctly, I read on Ginga wiki that Yoshi wanted to create a fierce and genuine character that’s similar to Riki. And yet, this is what we get?! Yoshi made Orion look more psychotic, like Jazzy said. Yoshi made Orion look more like that than when he was a puppy. That is pretty disastrous. And now, I’m happy that Orion is getting character development in GDN to grow into a much better character and to learn to combine his dark side and light side, something that Sirius failed to do.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
reenarules
Rookie
Rookie

Post by reenarules »

Dragon wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm -Jerome: I don't like his betrayal towards his friend P4... He couldn't even talk to him to try changing his mind or anything...
I'm gonna have to go with you on this one; Jerome's a pretty cool cat in my book, but some of the ways he handles the P4 situation just makes me :THOT:

ESPECIALLY going as far to say to P4, a guy that had been tortured and experimented on by humans for at least 5 whole years, that he basically should have just went along with whatever the humans decided to dish out on his body because it's the "instinct of a dog"...sorry but what the FUCK Jerome!?
You're gonna say that to a guy that has had to endure 5 years of his body being torn apart for human benefit?? I wonder if he'd still be saying this crap if he was the one is P4's shoes.. :tfw_sirius2:
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

reenarules wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:12 am
I'm gonna have to go with you on this one; Jerome's a pretty cool cat in my book, but some of the ways he handles the P4 situation just makes me :THOT:

ESPECIALLY going as far to say to P4, a guy that had been tortured and experimented on by humans for at least 5 whole years, that he basically should have just went along with whatever the humans decided to dish out on his body because it's the "instinct of a dog"...sorry but what the FUCK Jerome!?
You're gonna say that to a guy that has had to endure 5 years of his body being torn apart for human benefit?? I wonder if he'd still be saying this crap if he was the one is P4's shoes.. :tfw_sirius2:
Yeah. What Jerome said there was some of the most shitty stuff I have EVER heard! Like, sure, you dogs are "mans best friend" but you are NO slave! You are not meant to be experimented on! I will never understand why in the world Jerome said that. It was just BS.
Have a nice day!
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

Maybe that Gin doesn't really do anything. But he isn't the main character anymore and his best days have gone by so it doesn't bother me that much

JazzyJazz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 am What I don't like about Kyoushiro is how Yoshi turned him into a joke that's always angry and can't fight to save his life. Instead of being a savior for puppies and having the balls to stand up to Weed, he now hangs on Weed's every word and beats the shit out of a kid for having the audacity to not want his help. It's just really disgusting.

Another fav of mine is Gin, and what I don't like is how stoic and blank he is from GDW onward. I get that he's older but it seems like his original fire was stripped away in order to make him a more "adult" Weed. Because Weed always has to be right, Gin can't even be a good father because Yoshi just can't fathom having a main character be wrong in some way. I just want my bold, yet gentle Gin back :C

Finally, Orion. I love this guy, but TLW is where Yoshi really fucked up with him. I get wanting a more hot-headed guy, Kyoushiro, Kurotora and other characters are already like that, but was it really necessary to make Orion borderline psychotic at random points just to keep up the whole war vs. peace thing? Especially when it doesn't even amount to anything like Rigel stepping up as a leader. GDN's take on him is extra annoying because I refuse to buy that Sirius' death was anyone else's fault except his own stupid self. Orion shouldn't be mourning that dipshit.

I agree that in no way it's Orion's fault but I think the reason he blames himself for it is because if Orion and others wouldn't have gone after them that wouldn't have happened. Orion would much rather have his brother alive. And Sirius was still Orion's brother who Orion very much cared even saying that he will make Monsoon regret for harming his brother so it makes sense for Orion to mourn him.
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Well, in my opinion, Sirius crossed the line from being family to being an enemy long ago, so no, I don't think Orion, or anyone, should mourn him. It's no one's fault but Sirius that he got himself killed.
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

Wolpard wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:12 pm Tesshin is my fav because he has an interesting back story, he's a badass, has a great concept, a lot of potential, and a great design. Buuuuuuut, Yoshi tends to write him pretty flat most of the time. I really wish Yoshi would explore his emotions more. I mean yeah he gets mad at Ohu 'cause he thinks they've been lying to him, but I think there is a lot more potential for complex emotions. Guy was raised by the top generals in the army, trained by Gin to do the Battouga only for him to never be able to master it cause he doesn't have "bearhound blood". He's the forgotten heir. Surely he must have some kinda feelings about that, even if he is an honorable dude. Not to mention his father's whole deal.

Granted Yoshi just writes characters flat most of the time anyway.
This^ :yama1:
I've grown quite fond of Tesshin but I can't wrap my mind around how he is so unbothered by things. Him being passed over abruptly for Weed to become heir, Weed having a perfect battouga (what is physically wrong with Tesshin's? we keep getting told it is imperfect, but we are never SHOWN why) and Tesshin coming to terms with what happened to his father have done little to his character? He had his emotional outburst at the start and now he's completely chill, no envy but instead admiration for dogs that basically 'took his spot'.
I really don't like how Tesshin has instantly accepted life and matured.
...he didn't feel anything for Orion having an endless repeat battouga or mastering the sickle during TLW
just :bon2:
OreozFox
Rookie
Rookie

Post by OreozFox »

JazzyJazz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 am What I don't like about Kyoushiro is how Yoshi turned him into a joke that's always angry and can't fight to save his life. Instead of being a savior for puppies and having the balls to stand up to Weed, he now hangs on Weed's every word and beats the shit out of a kid for having the audacity to not want his help. It's just really disgusting.

Idk if Yoshi intended it this way, but I honestly think Orion's mental health is deteriorating over the course of his story, due his various circumstances. I mean it's totally possible that it's character derailment (Ginga is no stranger to that), but it just seems like Orion gets more mentally ill as GDWO, GTLW, and GDN progresses. Maybe that could explain his bizarre behavior at times?
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Maybe. My feelings have shifted a lot since that first post. My annoyance has since shifted from Orion and more towards Ohu in general, since they don't seem interested in helping him with his mental state, but rather put him down or threaten to beat him (and actually fucking beat him in some cases), or just straight up abandoning him as he's trying to explain himself.
OreozFox
Rookie
Rookie

Post by OreozFox »

JazzyJazz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:05 pm Maybe. My feelings have shifted a lot since that first post. My annoyance has since shifted from Orion and more towards Ohu in general, since they don't seem interested in helping him with his mental state, but rather put him down or threaten to beat him (and actually fucking beat him in some cases), or just straight up abandoning him as he's trying to explain himself.
Oh wow I didn't realize how long ago that first post was from lol, but yeah if anyone's to blame for how Orion is now, it's the Ohu Army. Seriously, why is it so hard for them to emphasize with him?
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Because he's not like their precious little Weed :smirk: Honestly, I headcanon that Ohu knows that they fucked up for chosing to follow Weed so long ago, but because they don't wanna look like idiots and because they wanna overcompensate due to their real feelings, they have to chastise everyone who isn't like Weed

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”