Densetsu Hozon no Sho: Ginga Yondai/The Chronicle of Silver Fang

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Densetsu Hozon no Sho: Ginga Yondai/The Chronicle of Silver Fang

Post by Shining Sirius »

That family tree is just sad. :tfw_sirius5:

I was just about to say that I've seen the fans make significantly better edits, but Digsu has already proven my point with that Photoshop of Joe. :tfw_orion1:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Bet there where better pics of Joe either way... That was not cropped out by a speechbubble
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

I'm tempted to think this book is basically a cash-grab haha. Like they knew they could make money off it, but with minimal work to play it safe.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Flanoir wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:56 pm I'm tempted to think this book is basically a cash-grab haha. Like they knew they could make money off it, but with minimal work to play it safe.
Considering the lack of meaningful content, I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be the case.

However, there is one thing that kinda makes me doubt that: the inclusion of GNG and GDR. I have no idea how much manga licenses cost, but Nichibun Comics must have had to pay Shueisha in order to put them in the book, seeing how they own the rights to the series. If they were just going for a quick, risk-free cash grab, why include content you have to pay to use rather than just sticking to the material you actually own? I mean GDW alone is 60 freaking volumes long, surely that would have been enough for a proper fact book, so it's not like they wouldn't have enough material to put in without having to pay the licensing fees for series you don't own.

So I'm assuming that either:
1) Nichibun Comics assumed that the sheer nostalgia factor of GNG alone would sell the book well enough to make back the money they paid for the license and then some (judging by how well GDN's first chapter sold by slapping an unrelated GNG character group shot on the magazine cover, they may have been onto something here).

or

2) They honestly thought the book was going to be such a hit among the Ginga fandom that it wouldn't matter if they had to pay the licensing fees needed to feature GNG and GDR. "They haven't had a fact book in ten years, they'll eat this one up no matter what we put in!"

Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

Uhh. I'm disapointed. I was hoping we'll get more information and more art his just seems so terribly half-assed
Riki (color) that's not even complete and other color reprints form previous mangas and art. Assigning breeds seems rushed and incomplete, familly tree it having badly croped images and is missing familly introduced in gaidens. We hardly get any answes, just more questions ("Zion says he's Weed's familly. He might be, or might be not, we don't care."). UHHHH

At least Joe is not confirmed dead and I believe he's not dead <3
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Digsu wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:15 pmHowever, there is one thing that kinda makes me doubt that: the inclusion of GNG and GDR.
GDR has always been Nichibun's series. GNG is the only Ginga series that is not Nichibun's.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

methpring wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Digsu wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:15 pmHowever, there is one thing that kinda makes me doubt that: the inclusion of GNG and GDR.
GDR has always been Nichibun's series. GNG is the only Ginga series that is not Nichibun's.
Derp, I forgot about that :surprisegin:

Though my point about Nichibun Comics getting the permission for a quick cash-grab being a bit strange still stands.

methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Manga chapters have actually very good image quality, even GNG ones. Except for 3 pages: the starting image for chapter of Akakabuto battle (Riki and Gin jumping) and pages where Riki is hit by Akakabuto and Riki hits a tree. The quality drop is amazing. Were those pages not available in better quality?

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I am really regretting spending money on this. They put effort into accumulating manga pages and listing characters and the nice printing, but no actual effort into the content readers would by the book for? We were all hoping for a lovely fully comprehensive data book but hey it turns out we remember/know more/are better researchers than the publishers I guess

:EMPTY:

Guys let's make our own HAHA
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Also one more thing for the pile:

Samu the Koga dog's profile may reference him being called "Sabu" in GDWO. I say "may" because, well...

(relevant bit highlighted)
"Once, he was called "佐武"."

As can be seen from his name on the right, the proper way to write it is 左武. The thing is, the time he was called Sabu does use those kanji.

(GDW 44, with the correct furigana of "Samu")

(GDWO 8, where it's incorrectly written as "Sabu")

So was there some time when his name was accidentally written with the wrong kanji but correct furigana, or did someone make a mistake and thought that his name was written with the wrong kanji and furigana in GDWO? His death is marked as "GDWO 5" so they must have checked and there's no way they could have missed his name being misspelled there.

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Arano wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm I am really regretting spending money on this. They put effort into accumulating manga pages and listing characters and the nice printing, but no actual effort into the content readers would by the book for? We were all hoping for a lovely fully comprehensive data book but hey it turns out we remember/know more/are better researchers than the publishers I guess

"An Actual Ginga Data Book" Zine :FLY:
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Regnant wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 pm
Arano wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm I am really regretting spending money on this. They put effort into accumulating manga pages and listing characters and the nice printing, but no actual effort into the content readers would by the book for? We were all hoping for a lovely fully comprehensive data book but hey it turns out we remember/know more/are better researchers than the publishers I guess

"An Actual Ginga Data Book" Zine :FLY:
LET'S DO IT! :tfw_bella2:

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
zsemi02

Post by zsemi02 »

That would be great! :D
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

As well as those with "unclear/unknown" breed, let's look up Shounen Jump and Goraku (some pics are on Twitter people have scanned) and interviews of Yoshi to get the breeds!

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Tora wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:53 pm As well as those with "unclear/unknown" breed, let's look up Shounen Jump and Goraku (some pics are on Twitter people have scanned) and interviews of Yoshi to get the breeds!
Honestly this would be a really fun group collaboration project. I'm reminded of how the Unofficial FFXV Cookbook did theirs once it was done and allowed people to download the PDF or send it to a certain printer to get it printed themselves https://sites.google.com/view/ffxvcookb ... structions
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Regnant wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:40 pm
Tora wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:53 pm As well as those with "unclear/unknown" breed, let's look up Shounen Jump and Goraku (some pics are on Twitter people have scanned) and interviews of Yoshi to get the breeds!
Honestly this would be a really fun group collaboration project. I'm reminded of how the Unofficial FFXV Cookbook did theirs once it was done and allowed people to download the PDF or send it to a certain printer to get it printed themselves https://sites.google.com/view/ffxvcookb ... structions
I would love to be help for it. With the Wiki and checking Twitter every so often with coloured pics and all that ^^

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Ian
Translator
Translator

Post by Ian »

I'd be willing to help out with a fan guidebook in lieu of this terrible disappointment. I can't believe they charged nearly $30 USD for this.
Done.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Where would one post this here? Or shall it be a Discord server?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Tora wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:38 pm Where would one post this here? Or shall it be a Discord server?
I can put up a channel on the Discord :)
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Regnant wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:47 pm
Tora wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:38 pm Where would one post this here? Or shall it be a Discord server?
I can put up a channel on the Discord :)
Yes!
I have saved SOOOOO many pics on Twitter some japanese souls have put up there, so I have the evidence for some ^^

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”