Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Spirit Tree »

I don’t know if anyone’s already said this.

Ginga should have had more females and treated them more with respect!

We don’t get enough females in this series. There have been a lot more males and fewer females. And when females do appear, their just shoved to the side or wiped out. Cross is literally the only major female that’s been around for long. Lydia was around pretty long but then was forced aside and then later killed off. Seriously, Lydia should have gotten more screen time. She also should have lived. Reika is another female that has much action. So only those three have major roles, I think. No other females have that, which really sucks.

I wish there would have been more females with more action like the males. It sucks that Yoshi didn’t do that.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:17 am I don’t know if anyone’s already said this.

Ginga should have had more females and treated them more with respect!

We don’t get enough females in this series. There have been a lot more males and fewer females. And when females do appear, their just shoved to the side or wiped out. Cross is literally the only major female that’s been around for long. Lydia was around pretty long but then was forced aside and then later killed off. Seriously, Lydia should have gotten more screen time. She also should have lived. Reika is another female that has much action. So only those three have major roles, I think. No other females have that, which really sucks.

I wish there would have been more females with more action like the males. It sucks that Yoshi didn’t do that.
Actually many have said and complained about that, I am one of them but sadly no matter how much we have tried to make it heard, nothing has been done about it. If anything, I think it has gotten worse as even though we do have living female characters, the never get any screen time or much development at all - Bella being the biggest example.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Trust us, Spirit. Everyone's said that by now xD you gotta at least once as a Ginga fan. It's frustrating.

I think it'd be interesting if the couples were able to develop more. And more couples too, while we're at it. It's so sad seeing young characters talk about wanting a mate or love life one day, but they're always thrown into war.
I remember at the beginning of TLW, Bon was watching this young couple, saying they're about his age and he wishes he could have a girlfriend too. IT'S SO SAD. GIVE THESE WARRIORS A DEEPER LOVE LIFE :tfw_orion1:

ImageImage
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

This is one of the funniest moments in Ginga and you can’t convince me otherwise.
SPOILER
Also yes, I agree that Bon should have a girlfriend. I bet it will be Bella in GDN.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Wakasaki
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wakasaki »

As far as the anime goes (it's been too long since I read the manga in it's interity, and I can't really remember how significant a role he played) I think Benizakura is somewhat of a bland character that's given too much attention by both the anime and the fans considering how little he actually does. He's talked up to be the strongest dog in the world, and yet we get to see him fight properly only once.

The paradox here is that my favourite fight in the show is the duel between
SPOILER
But yeah, I'm not fond of anime-Benizakura. For a hyped up character I expected more I guess. His fight with Gin remains my favourite one, and I just wish we'd get to see him do more stuff to warrant all the talk about him.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:52 am This is one of the funniest moments in Ginga and you can’t convince me otherwise.
SPOILER
Also yes, I agree that Bon should have a girlfriend. I bet it will be Bella in GDN.
Yes, that scene was funny, but it also made me say 'this is the guy we are meant to be afraid of taking over paradise? He's a joke!' :orion4:
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

I don't think Gin's as good of a dad as everyone says he is. He's wayyyyyy too lenient on his son Weed and never once disciplines him, even when he does something wrong. During the Russian Dog arc he's aware of the fact that Weed is infatuated with Koyuki because she looks and acts so much like his mom, but he never talks to Weed about this and let's him abandon the Ohu Army to hang out with his mom crush :EMPTY:
And during GDWO he says that they can't let Masamune live, but when Weed wants to let Masamune live Gin never says or does anything to oppose Weed's decision, which is really contradictory. He's also shown to be a bad grandpa when he threatens to throw Orion off a cliff because he's not acting like a proper Ohu Soldier :tfw_sirius4:
Last edited by Nerdykestrel74 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Nerdykestrel74 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:23 pm I don't think Gin's as good of a dad as everyone says he is. He's wayyyyyy too lenient on his son Weed and never once disciplines him, even when he does something wrong. During the Russian Dog arc he's aware of the fact that Weed is infatuated with Koyuki because she looks and acts so much like his mom, but he never talks to Weed about this and let's him abandon the Ohu Army to hang out with his mom crush :EMPTY:
And during GDWO he says that they can't let Masamune live, but when Weed wants to let Masamune live Gin never says or does anything to oppose Weed's decision, which is really contradictory. He's also shown to be a bad grandpa when he Threatens to throw Orion off a cliff because he's not acting like a proper Ohu Soldier :tfw_sirius4:
IMO none of the bearhound family has made out to be great dad (Riki, Gin, Weed) :yama1:

Riki wasnt his fault because he had amnesia, but he wasn't really a true father figure to Gin.
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

Wolpard wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 am
Nerdykestrel74 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:23 pm I don't think Gin's as good of a dad as everyone says he is. He's wayyyyyy too lenient on his son Weed and never once disciplines him, even when he does something wrong. During the Russian Dog arc he's aware of the fact that Weed is infatuated with Koyuki because she looks and acts so much like his mom, but he never talks to Weed about this and let's him abandon the Ohu Army to hang out with his mom crush :EMPTY:
And during GDWO he says that they can't let Masamune live, but when Weed wants to let Masamune live Gin never says or does anything to oppose Weed's decision, which is really contradictory. He's also shown to be a bad grandpa when he Threatens to throw Orion off a cliff because he's not acting like a proper Ohu Soldier :tfw_sirius4:
IMO none of the bearhound family has made out to be great dad (Riki, Gin, Weed) :yama1:

Riki wasnt his fault because he had amnesia, but he wasn't really a true father figure to Gin.
I feel like Riki would have been a great dad if he hadn't died. Maybe then Gin and Weed would have been better fathers :tfw_sirius5:
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

I still stand by me headcanon that Riki would've been a good dad to Gin and his brothers if he never had amnesia, but yeah it's amazing how the bearhound family has such bad dads.

Yoshi wants Gin and Weed to be the heroes of the stories that we're supposed to look up to yet at the same time he's like "Hey what if the heroes of our stories were fucking terrible dads lol"

Like make up your mind, bruh
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I don't think Saheji was all that great a dad, like yeah he was a good dad, but not the best, like people say he is. Yukimura still ended up being a psychotic, genocidal manic and we don't see Saheji try to scold him or reign his ass in until after Yukimura's done some pretty horrible stuff (everything he did to Pepe and his family), and even then, it was our Lord and Savior, Weed, who really changed Yukimura's mind, if I remember correctly. Sure, Yukimura could've still been insane, but I think Saheji could've put up more of an effort to stop him, maybe NOT make him leader.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

JazzyJazz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:54 pm I don't think Saheji was all that great a dad, like yeah he was a good dad, but not the best, like people say he is. Yukimura still ended up being a psychotic, genocidal manic and we don't see Saheji try to scold him or reign his ass in until after Yukimura's done some pretty horrible stuff (everything he did to Pepe and his family), and even then, it was our Lord and Savior, Weed, who really changed Yukimura's mind, if I remember correctly. Sure, Yukimura could've still been insane, but I think Saheji could've put up more of an effort to stop him, maybe NOT make him leader.
I know it's unpopular opinions, but I wanna stand up for mah boi Saheiji when I can :tfw_orion1:
You make a good point, that by the time we meet Yukimura, he's already pretty crazy, but I think we have to think in terms of Ginga about how that worked out. In terms of Ginga, there aren't very many normal dads. There are either abusive days, dads who allow anything and everything of their children, and then... Saheiji. He's probably as close to normal as we've gotten in this series, which is why 'great' is used so heavily.

He adopted a complete stranger's children just because they asked, raised them like they were his own, protected them with his body until the point of becoming crippled just so they wouldn't die, is still strung up to this day [in monkey arc] about losing Joe, and IS actually aware of Yukimura's crimes and hates it. He asked Weed to stop Yukimura's rampage and said ever since Joe died, he became worse. Judging by how they talk about Saheiji, he's usually always stuck in the cave and sleeping, clearly not by choice. Yukimura's surrounded by all of his own buddies that he befriended, so it's not as if Saheiji can tell the other dogs to stop listening to Yukimura. He can only give little orders when he's even able to catch it, which doesn't sound often.

Another thing we gotta keep in mind is how Ginga treats bearhounds. They are wildly stubborn and once they have a goal, they'll never change. Even if Saheiji cared for Weed, Orion, Sirius, or any of the others, whatever they set their mind to, they would have done it anyways. Combined with being ridiculously strong [and bulked with plot armor], even if Saheiji wanted to scold them into thinking one way or another, it wouldn't have worked. Reading back, he does scold Yukimura and his friends [though they quickly turn on him or ignore him], and even begs Weed to bring back the kinder Yukimura, since he can't himself.

In Ginga standards, I think 'great dad' isn't too much of an exaggeration for him since lots of the mess up is out of his hands.
Just wanted to give my thoughts u.u!

ImageImage
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Alright, this one is very unpopular when it comes to what I've seen here on GB

The small amount of females in Ginga is not a problem at all

Ginga is after all centered around an army, and there are not that many women in an army. Besides, Ginga is also about dogs, and in the wild, the males are usually the ones that protect the opposite gender (According to my biology teacher).

The problem I have with the two different sexes in Ginga is that the males are seen as superior and the females are seen as inferior. This hurts both sides, since if males are portrayed as these people who always have to protect, who always has to make the hard choices and decisions, then some young readers of Ginga may believe that too, which is not good. The ability to be a leader is a skill, not a talent that comes with being born a male, but if young male readers end up believing that, then that could be catastrophic if they don't know what to do right off the bat.

If females are seen as inferior, then it could lead to young female readers to believe that they just can't do anything. That their only thing to do in life is just to be there with the kids and all that nonsense. Parenting is not a female job. It's a job for both partners. The father and the mother.

I'm basically just trying to say that I don't like the portrayals of the two different sexes, but that the lack of female characters isn't a problem considering that this is a story centered around an army in the wild.
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I also agree with Dragon about love couples :tfw_orion1: I wanna see Kagetora or Tesshin's puppies. Please Yoshiii
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 am The small amount of females in Ginga is not a problem at all
Yeah, that's definitely a big issue with Yoshi's portrayal of gender roles in the series u_u
Though I also wish if he's going to sometimes make them act like animals, why do the girls almost always have to be scared/weak when in the wild, female animals can be really furious and depending on the animal, do the fighting as well. Dogs is definitely one of the ones that would fight no matter if theyre female or male.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:16 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 am The small amount of females in Ginga is not a problem at all
Yeah, that's definitely a big issue with Yoshi's portrayal of gender roles in the series u_u
Though I also wish if he's going to sometimes make them act like animals, why do the girls almost always have to be scared/weak when in the wild, female animals can be really furious and depending on the animal, do the fighting as well. Dogs is definitely one of the ones that would fight no matter if theyre female or male.
According to Yoshi himself, he doesn't actually view the characters as animals, but as humans.
Q: Where did the idea for different clans, such as the three Kai-brothers, fighting dogs, Igas and Kogas come from?
A: I actually don't look at the characters as dogs. I see the characters as humans. It could be in my nature, but if you look at the characters as dogs, the story doesn't seem to go on.
So the reason the female dogs act as they do in Ginga isn't meant to be accurate to real life dogs, it's just because as far as human females go, it's Yoshi's belief that "it's a man's duty to protect women", as he himself has put it.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:32 pm
According to Yoshi himself, he doesn't actually view the characters as animals, but as humans.
Q: Where did the idea for different clans, such as the three Kai-brothers, fighting dogs, Igas and Kogas come from?
A: I actually don't look at the characters as dogs. I see the characters as humans. It could be in my nature, but if you look at the characters as dogs, the story doesn't seem to go on.
So the reason the female dogs act as they do in Ginga isn't meant to be accurate to real life dogs, it's just because as far as human females go, it's Yoshi's belief that "it's a man's duty to protect women", as he himself has put it.
I know he says this a lot but theres sometimes instances where they can be more dog-like, so I just wish he didnt pick and choose so much, especially this one thing - 3-

ImageImage
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

And during GDWO he says that they can't let Masamune live, but when Weed wants to let Masamune live Gin never says or does anything to oppose Weed's decision, which is really contradictory. He's also shown to be a bad grandpa when he threatens to throw Orion off a cliff because he's not acting like a proper Ohu Soldier :tfw_sirius4:
There is actually a headcanon that Gin does not punish Weed for what he does because he's already lost two sons so to have the other cut ties with disagreements might dishearten him completely. I think that's what is really going on there!
Yeah, I agree if he did make them act more as animals, it would be easier to see them as such, but they do act indeed like humans, heck I even saw a translation of the first Ginga weed volumes 1-6 with them calling each other ladies and children and men!
The main problem I have is they make it look like a femalie in the wild cannot survive without a male, I mean isn't that how Sakura died? At least they made it look that way?

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Gingaddict wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:34 pm
Yeah, I agree if he did make them act more as animals, it would be easier to see them as such, but they do act indeed like humans, heck I even saw a translation of the first Ginga weed volumes 1-6 with them calling each other ladies and children and men!
The main problem I have is they make it look like a femalie in the wild cannot survive without a male, I mean isn't that how Sakura died? At least they made it look that way?
Sakura died because she got ill IIRC. I guess that since Weed was the one providing her food, it could definitely look like she would need a male to survive, but Weed's gender here is not relevant. Weed could've been a female and it wouldn't really have made any difference I believe.
Have a nice day!
davidefenara

Post by davidefenara »

I think Cross should have stayed with Smith, also Weed is a boring character

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”