What series do you like better? GNG or GDW and Why?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
zsemi02

What series do you like better? GNG or GDW and Why?

Post by zsemi02 »

So, I'll start it.

I like GNG way more better. :)

First of all, becouse of the storyline. I don't know why, but i prefer GNG's story better.
And I like the characters personality better too. Especialy Gin, who at the beginning is the "same" dog as the others in the pack, but later he fight out the recognition. And he is respected becouse his personality, not becouse his father is the leader, like Weed.
And I really don't liked the end of GDW, when they sets Gin as a "killer", who dont care about peace...

I could write only this now, but there is more reason for me. :D

So, what about you, guys? :derpgin:
Last edited by zsemi02 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Re: What series do you like better? GNG or GDW and Why?

Post by YamaDora »

zsemi02 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pmAnd I really don't liked the end of GDW, when they sets Gin as a "killer", who dont care about peace...
Excuse me? That never happened. Maybe you might get that impression from the anime, but anime's interpretation of the story can be all over the place and changes things to worse. In the manga Gin appears as someone who just tests Weed and if Weed is ready to take over Gin's place as the leader of Ohu.

As for me, I think I prefer GDW over GNG. In GDW (note that I'm referring to the manga, not anime) the story and characters are more consistent, and there are more scenes and characters that resonate with me on another level. I also like the art style more, at least for first 30 volumes or so.
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

It's hard to choose. I like GNG manga's story more, but I like GDW manga's more detailed way of telling things. If only GNG was made with GDW's detailed storytelling...

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
zsemi02

Post by zsemi02 »

Doragon wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 pm
zsemi02 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pmAnd I really don't liked the end of GDW, when they sets Gin as a "killer", who dont care about peace...
Excuse me? That never happened. Maybe you might get that impression from the anime, but anime's interpretation of the story can be all over the place and changes things to worse. In the manga Gin appears as someone who just tests Weed and if Weed is ready to take over Gin's place as the leader of Ohu.

As for me, I think I prefer GDW over GNG. In GDW (note that I'm referring to the manga, not anime) the story and characters are more consistent, and there are more scenes and characters that resonate with me on another level. I also like the art style more, at least for first 30 volumes or so.
Oh, that's interresting. Then sorry, i didn't read the manga, so I only spoke about the anime.
But in this case... Maybe here is the time to start reading it :)
Terrier
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Terrier »

I like them for different reasons. GNG has a smoother "flow" and a lot more detailed animation, while GDW kinda feels all over the place and the animation is honestly just ... incredibly lazy lol. Although, GDW has better character development and more interesting characters at that, while GNG just felt like the same dogs with a "fight to the death" mindset over and over again ... in GDW we have imperfect characters, ones that are either easily frightened (like GB) or too headstrong (Kyo), made it more interesting imo
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

I prefer GDW for it's more fleshed out characters and story arcs. I like GNG but it feels overly simplistic.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

As much as I love GNG, I think GDW beats it out just a bit more for me (I will be speaking mostly on a manga level here, but might reference the anime if needed).

GNG felt very linear, almost predictable, and the characters a bit one-dimensional on a few occasions (for example, I always felt like Sniper was there just to cause inconveniences for the pack rather than be a major threat). That's not to say that GNG is a bad series; Gin's introduction to the original Ohu army is one of the most memorable scenes for me, as well as the symbolic conclusion to the Akakabuto arc. You really get a sense of closure and triumph as these dogs battled their way to this epic conclusion. But what falls flat for me is the characterization. Gin feels too "goodie-goodie" to me. Even though he does become reckless during times of death, I don't see many faults in him as I should in a protagonist. I get that this is a shounen series first and foremost, but even main characters in other shounen series have conflict within themselves that they have to resolve so that they can grow into something greater. This might come off nitpicky, but it was something that bothered me the first time I traversed the series. Gin definitely becomes a better character when he grows older in GDW.

As for GDW, I love the characters and the different story arcs as they build upon one another. There's more depth and care put into this series, and it definitely shows by the time the Hougen arc begins. The villains are more, well, "human" to an extent, even Kaibutsu, who we all know went through a lot of pain and torment in his life. The conflict between him and Jerome was incredibly heartbreaking and it was evident that Kaibutsu still meant something to Jerome, even if he wouldn't admit it outright. Hougen and Genba are also amazing villains. For a long time, when I first watched the anime (and then later read the manga), I hated Hougen, but as I grew up, I understood more as to why Hougen felt the way he did. It didn't excuse his actions, but Hougen was a dog with a mission and he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted. He had some major character development after his brother died. Genba's death was devastating for him; not only was Genba his only kin, he had to kill him with his own fangs. It showed that while Hougen comes off as this demon, he still had somewhat of a heart and cared about Genba until the end. It was a mercy kill, not wanting to see his brother suffer anymore.

This is why I think I like GDW so much more than GNG. I feel like I can connect with these characters, even the villains, who are some of the most brutal of any sort of villains I've read or watched in media. I could probably write an essay on Weed's own character development in comparison to Gin's, but I'll be here all night if I do... maybe I'll save that for another time.
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

zsemi02

Post by zsemi02 »

Tikikata wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:02 pm As much as I love GNG, I think GDW beats it out just a bit more for me (I will be speaking mostly on a manga level here, but might reference the anime if needed).

GNG felt very linear, almost predictable, and the characters a bit one-dimensional on a few occasions (for example, I always felt like Sniper was there just to cause inconveniences for the pack rather than be a major threat). That's not to say that GNG is a bad series; Gin's introduction to the original Ohu army is one of the most memorable scenes for me, as well as the symbolic conclusion to the Akakabuto arc. You really get a sense of closure and triumph as these dogs battled their way to this epic conclusion. But what falls flat for me is the characterization. Gin feels too "goodie-goodie" to me. Even though he does become reckless during times of death, I don't see many faults in him as I should in a protagonist. I get that this is a shounen series first and foremost, but even main characters in other shounen series have conflict within themselves that they have to resolve so that they can grow into something greater. This might come off nitpicky, but it was something that bothered me the first time I traversed the series. Gin definitely becomes a better character when he grows older in GDW.

As for GDW, I love the characters and the different story arcs as they build upon one another. There's more depth and care put into this series, and it definitely shows by the time the Hougen arc begins. The villains are more, well, "human" to an extent, even Kaibutsu, who we all know went through a lot of pain and torment in his life. The conflict between him and Jerome was incredibly heartbreaking and it was evident that Kaibutsu still meant something to Jerome, even if he wouldn't admit it outright. Hougen and Genba are also amazing villains. For a long time, when I first watched the anime (and then later read the manga), I hated Hougen, but as I grew up, I understood more as to why Hougen felt the way he did. It didn't excuse his actions, but Hougen was a dog with a mission and he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted. He had some major character development after his brother died. Genba's death was devastating for him; not only was Genba his only kin, he had to kill him with his own fangs. It showed that while Hougen comes off as this demon, he still had somewhat of a heart and cared about Genba until the end. It was a mercy kill, not wanting to see his brother suffer anymore.

This is why I think I like GDW so much more than GNG. I feel like I can connect with these characters, even the villains, who are some of the most brutal of any sort of villains I've read or watched in media. I could probably write an essay on Weed's own character development in comparison to Gin's, but I'll be here all night if I do... maybe I'll save that for another time.
Thank you, for this long explaination :)
It make me wonder... :)
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

I prefer GNG's art, raw energy, coolness factor and unstoppable grit. The final howling was so cathartic.

I prefer GDW's more fleshed out characters, relationships and the times of complexity.
icon by azzai
AlphaSpice

Post by AlphaSpice »

Hard choice! I think it's a tie for me. I haven't finished GDW manga, but so far, I really love it like 10x more than the anime LMAO.

I think I have to say I like GNG's storyline more. Does it get a bit formulaic and predictable? Yeah, but I really just love the prospect of the entire "travel and gather dogs from around the country to face off against a terrorizing threat", especially because the villain is, well, a terrifying threat! I really appreciate its themes of bravery and commitment too, I can't remember the last time I saw a piece of media covering these themes and I like it more than the morality statement I think GDW was trying to put out there (I could be wrong though, again haven't finished the GDW manga!).

So far though, I am REALLY loving how GDW is more character-driven. More effort is placed into trying to make the dogs of this big cast unique and quirky in their own little ways, and I love it a lot! Especially Weed in the manga; he isn't always right and he makes mistakes, something I wish Gin had more of in GNG.
zsemi02

Post by zsemi02 »

Since my last visit on this post, a lot of time has passed. (I totally forgot that I made this topic :D )
So, I just want to say, that since my last post here, I've read GDW until it's translated. And WOW! The manga is totally different from the anime. So, my view on the question has changed... Now it's totally TIE for me :)
I love both of them :D
And sorry for my hasty words that i've said.

And to be honest as I see now my question is stupid, because the two can't really be compared.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I personally prefer the vibe and artwork of GNG better. The style (especially in the earliest chapters) is so pretty imo. GDW definitely is nice looking (at least in the earlier half lol), but GNG just looks a little nicer. Same goes for the anime- GNG's art style far outdoes GDW.

Story wise and character wise, I do thing GDW is stronger. At least in the earlier parts. I think the highest point in GDW was the Kaibutsu Arc through to the Monkey Arc. It kind of starts to fall apart a bit after that and the Ginga series as a whole feels like it's pulling at straws a little too much. The Russian arc starts out strong but it kinda ends weak which is why I don't include it.
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Personally I prefer GNG over GDW, I think GNG has a much cooler story. Especially about dogs, bears, humans etc. And the anime is really well done, I'm more for old and handmade animes :derpgin: I like that it's about Gin and Riki's revenge on Akakaboto and it's so exciting to see them fight each other.
But I really like GDW's manga, really well done and detailed stories. The anime is nah, I like it but not love it. I wish they could do same style as GNG, it could be pretty good. It's what I think.
But I love both of them but I 'll choose GNG :surprisegin:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Eclipse-Wolven
Legend
Legend

Post by Eclipse-Wolven »

Honestly, it depends on what I'm looking for. GNG has a better and more coherent story but I like the characters of GDW better. Forced to choose between the two of them (and adding in the artwork factor), I probably would go with GDW. That's also the one that got me into Yoshi's work back in the day so...yeah.
Banner by Kairi292 & Avatar by Kasi

My stories (on FF.net):
Ginga Densetsu Weed: Dark Legend
The Chronicles Of Ohu

For he today who sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother...
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

GNG is more consistent and acion-packed, although the first 6 humen-centered episodes are a bit of a put-off and could be shorter.
GDW has a bad pacing sometimes. I still like it, it attempts for a more complicated story and more characterization, but it doesn't always work.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I actually like both in the same way. They are both greatly packed with a bunch of action despite having some flaws. Even though GDW is longer, GNG still feels just as long. Both mangas also have a lot of emotional scenes that make them more entertaining.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I like GDW better as it is the first series to actually introduce me to the Ginga universe. GNG is okay but I didn't really have the same experience that other people had with it due to seeing GDW first.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

GNG absolutely.

It's because it achieves a unique tone and atmosphere, which includes it's vibrant but sometimes also de-saturated color palette, memorable soundtrack, characterizations combined with humor, hard-hitting drama and action. It's even slightly better than the manga due to taking more time to do stuff, i mean in the manga it's great too but feels sometimes rather rushed. It also introduced me to "Cartoons" that show you edginess and that endings are not always 100% happy in the traditional way.

Of course there are moments in the anime (Wilson threatening Tesshin anyone?) that should have had some more exposition but it wasn't that severe.

GDW on the other hand is pretty okay, but a step-down for me.

It has certainly entertaining moments and some really awesome ones too. But even as a kid i found it a bit unsatisfying and felt like something was missing. Throughout the show they are on a mission to save Gin and the anticipation of them meeting is amazing... but when they meet it felt emotionally detached and was the opposite what i expected it to be. The soundtrack was also a bit bland, even if it had some cool tracks too.

Also some emotional scenes feel a bit forced due, but the actors manage to save them mostly. But there were amazingly emotional scenes that hit me hard too.
My issues with it was also Daisuke among many others being omitted from the anime and it was a slight detriment to the story in my opinion. Sure Gin and he doesn't even meet in Hougen arc, but since they already made liberties with the anime they could have somehow written him in too.v

In the end it was OK and i do enjoy it pretty much. But simply not as much as GNG.
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I perfer GNG more because it feels less chaotic than GDW, there’s one overarching plot (not counting the Wolf Arc because I haven’t read it entirely), the anime, for the most part, follows its manga and doesn’t do whatever like GDW’s anime, the characters, while simple, feel more like comrades and an actual military unit than Weed and his cult, and Gin actually rises through the ranks due to proving himself instead of people assuming he’s great because of who is dad is. Also Akakabuto is the og baddie, an actual threat and god-like monster unlike the villains who came after. Overall, sometimes less is more and I feel like GNG achieved that.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Ultimately, GNG would have to get my vote. :gin:

The anime makes for a smoother, more engaging watch than GDW and the manga a far-less chaotic read along with its beautiful illustrations.
While Gin is very much an over-powered Gary-Stu, I just feel like this makes me more relaxed about his character. As much as I like Weed in the anime, I feel as though his character isn't as... fleshed-out as Gin. His character doesn't feel as 'definite'. :weed:

Overall, in my humble opinion; everything about GNG feels just that bit more polished (the characters, the anime/manga styles, the soundtrack etcetera) and that it was written with genuine passion (with the exception of the subjectively-canon Wolf Arc, which I actually enjoy) rather than the more expanded universe of GDW, which is kinda where the Ginga series starts to get a bit unkempt with its plot holes.
I guess there's just too much in GDW that bothers me - such as the sloppiness of the anime style, Weed's Oedipus Complex in the manga and the conflicting themes. Still, I thoroughly enjoy GDW for what it brings, too. :weed:
GNG just feels like a more relaxed, if somewhat generic, adventure story, one that I feel I can watch/read time and time again without a couple of irking moments or certain parts of the story feeling dragged-out... and that's okay by me. :surprisegin:

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”