Ginga confessions

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Ginga confessions

Post by Rals »

For GNG, I prefer the anime designs. Especially for John and Hakuro.

I only recently found out that Daisuke and Gohei aren't related and, honestly, I'm still gooped.

I am attached to the head canon I came up with about Kogas eating dog meat as an old leader's test of loyalty, and I don't care about evidence to contract that, you can take it out of my cold, dead hands. Same with my George being called George lmao
A red pandolar bear pandolar bearing along

Pfp and sig by Akame <3
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I thought Rigel’s name was pronounced REE-GULL. Now recently I found out that it’s RAI-JILL. How unwitting of me. :nosebleed:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Spirit Tree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 am I thought Rigel’s name was pronounced REE-GULL. Now recently I found out that it’s RAI-JILL. How unwitting of me. :nosebleed:
....Hahaaa sillyyy, of course it's Rai jillll
*continues saying Ree-gel, possibly worse sounding*

ImageImage
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

When I first saw Hougen, by his bulit I automatically assumed he was an old dude but damn he was only 4 years old!!(a lot younger than some of the characters)
I thought Rocket and his brothers were from Wilson's family and thought why did they join Hougen😱
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

I just recently found out it's Kisaragi and not Kisagiri :EMPTY:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Dragon wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:49 am
Spirit Tree wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 am I thought Rigel’s name was pronounced REE-GULL. Now recently I found out that it’s RAI-JILL. How unwitting of me. :nosebleed:
....Hahaaa sillyyy, of course it's Rai jillll
*continues saying Ree-gel, possibly worse sounding*
Well...I’m glad I’m not the only one.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Solarian

Post by Solarian »

I watched GDW before GNG, and didn't even know GNG existed until a year after I watched GDW. I was wondering why I was missing a lot of details while watching it, but I thought that it was because of poor adaptation or something. I also thought the Battōga was going to be extremely important to the series, but then it was only mentioned when it was convenient. (Keep in mind that at that time I hadn't seen/heard of GNG so I had no idea of its origins or anything.)

Not even going to talk about how I didn't know about the mangas after GDW, I thought the anime ending was the ending for the entire series.

edit: Something else I wanted to mention was that I randomly found the GDW opening, thought it was an absolute banger (which it is, no one can change my mind), and then started watching clips of GDW on youtube and ended up spoiling myself on a fair amount of things.
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

Wait, it's not pronounced Ree-Gull????

My life is a lie :OUT:
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Hyzenthlay Rose wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 pm
Wait, it's not pronounced Ree-Gull????

My life is a lie :OUT:
Yup. First when I was listening to a Ginga Fanfiction Reading audio on ZTB’s YouTube channel, I heard JazzyJazz pronounce it “Rai-Jill.” I was like “What? That’s how you say Rigel’s name? I thought it was ‘Ree-Gull.’” Then I looked it up online and sure enough, here is this link with the sound icon that tells what the pronunciation of the name is. Click on it to hear it.

It does make sense when you bring the name “Nigel” into the equation. That’s also pronounced the same way: “Nai-Jill” but NOT “Nee-Gull.”

EDIT: In addition, here’s the word that is pronounced “Ree-Gull”: Regal
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Technically the original Japanese makes it clear it should be "ree-gel" (with a hard G), or "rigeru" as it's written in Japanese. But imho, "rye-gel" sounds nicer in an English context so that's what I go with, too. It's a bit like how, according to Japanese, Orion's name should be pronounced "o-ree-on" instead of "o-rye-on" as it's pronounced in English.

I'd guess it's a matter of preference more than anything.

Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

I go with the original Greek pronunciation when it comes to the stars and names... It's a little more difficult to put them into sentences when speaking English but it's doable.
Image Image
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

It's weird
I cannot hear Rigel any other way but "Rai-jill" but seeing Rigeru I can only hear that as "Ree-Ge-Roo"
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

LIBRAKIND wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:24 am It's weird
I cannot hear Rigel any other way but "Rai-jill" but seeing Rigeru I can only hear that as "Ree-Ge-Roo"
I did think that his name was pronounced “Ree-Gull” even before I found “Rigeru” online. I guess that made me further confirm to myself that it was pronounced “Ree-Gull because “Ree-Ge-Roo” (I think?) in Japanese. That was until I finally found out that it’s “Rai-Jill” in English, of course. For “Rigeru,” it could have been “Rai-Je-Ru.” But I don’t know.
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Spirit Tree wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:47 am
LIBRAKIND wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:24 am It's weird
I did think that his name was pronounced “Ree-Gull” even before I found “Rigeru” online. I guess that made me further confirm to myself that it was pronounced “Ree-Gull because “Ree-Ge-Roo” (I think?) in Japanese. That was until I finally found out that it’s “Rai-Jill” in English, of course. For “Rigeru,” it could have been “Rai-Je-Ru.” But I don’t know.
I guess with me, I've seen the name Nigel a good amount, and genuinely thought at first Rigel was a misspelling of Nigel until I found out that no, his name is Rigel, I just hear it as Rai-jill :tfw_rigel1: I can only associte it as an "English spoken name" and not a "Japanese one" so that's just how I hear it
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

As someone who reads katakana as well as a Swedish speaker, I've always pronounced Rigel as "Ree-geh-l" and Orion as "O-ree-on"
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

TBH I pronounce all the names the English way in an English context. Rigel is "Rye-jill", Orion as "Oh-ryan", etc. Its kinda hard not to when you're a native English speaker and thats how you hear them pronounced all the time! (especially when your roommates' cat is named Orion lol)
sabrus
Recruit
Recruit

Post by sabrus »

after watching GNG for the first time i thought all dogs stayed in Ohu :Koyukisweat:
:kisaragi: :uzuki: :hazuki: :minazuki: :izou: :harpoonbear: :retsuga: :rigel:
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

I know Gin's brothers aren't actually named Hiyan and Giyan and those are just sound effects they made that people mistook for their names....buuut that's not gonna stop me from calling them that :FLY:
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

Hyzenthlay Rose wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:53 am I know Gin's brothers aren't actually named Hiyan and Giyan and those are just sound effects they made that people mistook for their names....buuut that's not gonna stop me from calling them that :FLY:
SAME lmao

also I pronounce Rigel's name as Rai-gull because it was the name of a character I used to have. And have since revived. And she will be Rai-gull and so will this doggy
A red pandolar bear pandolar bearing along

Pfp and sig by Akame <3
Celloco

Post by Celloco »

Yeah, considering the context of the names being astrological, I've always pronounced them as o-rai-in and rai-jil. Somewhat of a confession, but I've always preferred Mel's name as Mel rather than Mer, even if it's short for Mercedes. I just don't like that name at all lol

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”