Ginga confessions

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Ginga confessions

Post by Gingaddict »

Wolpard wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:53 am
Kaiken wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 am
Wolpard wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:50 pm

I also really want to see a GNG/GDW remake just for the sake of getting more of the series adapted in the future (since I highly doubt we will just get Orion after all these years).

Plus there's a lot of flaws in both the anime and manga I would like to see changed. I know people get nostalgic about the GNG anime specifically but there's a LOT to improve on. Especially that sexism issue. :tfw_bella1:
That last part wouldn't be changed, because it also exists in comics. It's a huge part of Ginga. :jeromeder:
Hey anime changes manga stuff all the time. If they can make Jerome die in the anime they can make the female characters actually do stuff. :orion3:
Yeah, I wouldn't watch it if it was just page-for-page anime, I would rather have a totally new and improved uponn ideas than just the same thing. If you want the same thing, just read the manga. I do indeed believe if they were to adapt this manga, they would have to address the sexist thing and give their female characters something to do, because in this day and age, something like it would certainly not go unnoticed and social media would bash it for months!

Personally, I think they might do what most of them are doing these days... make characters who are meant to be male FEMALE! :surprisegin:
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Gingaddict wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:19 am
Wolpard wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:53 am
Kaiken wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 am

That last part wouldn't be changed, because it also exists in comics. It's a huge part of Ginga. :jeromeder:
Hey anime changes manga stuff all the time. If they can make Jerome die in the anime they can make the female characters actually do stuff. :orion3:
Yeah, I wouldn't watch it if it was just page-for-page anime, I would rather have a totally new and improved uponn ideas than just the same thing. If you want the same thing, just read the manga. I do indeed believe if they were to adapt this manga, they would have to address the sexist thing and give their female characters something to do, because in this day and age, something like it would certainly not go unnoticed and social media would bash it for months!

Personally, I think they might do what most of them are doing these days... make characters who are meant to be male FEMALE! :surprisegin:
Yessss, I would so be down for some beloved characters being turned female. Im sure it would piss some people off but I'd rather still have my favs around and have them gender swapped than cut out and replaced tbh.

Female John would be so cool :sasukehearts:
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Digsu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 am
Morti wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:25 am I thought that the GDW anime was better than the manga. The manga just became a struggle after a while and I stopped enjoying it. The anime was just long enough, and while it was dumb and shallow it was still a lot of fun.
Me too!

From a pure story standpoint, the anime cut out so much useless and outright contrived stuff (like Gin and John being unaware of their body doubles or Tesshin never having seen the Battouga himself) while also adding some much needed scenes (like Kaibutsu attacking Ohu in the beginning instead of him being introduced right the hell out of nowhere after several pointless red herrings about the Paradise's troubled internal politics, the GNG flashback explaining Akakabuto's defeat and Gin's rise to leadership, and showing Hougen and Genba making the "when I die, I want to die by your fangs" pact instead of it just being vaguely alluded to) that it's a lot more interesting and easy to follow than the manga version.

By the time Gin was taken to Gajou they were almost entirely making the whole thing out of whole cloth and imho they did so beautifully. Him getting saved due to a daring rescue spearheaded by his son instead of being urged to get the hell out of there by the ghosts of John and Smith that are heavily implied to be his hallucinations and getting saved by a random truck driver whose relative happens to be a vet is a lot more heroic and less... random, to put it nicely. It even gave Toubei's already-awesome death scene even more weight, as he ended up sacrificing his life to ensure Gin's rescue rather than getting killed for some random kid whose only purpose in life was to show he's not evil anymore.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE OLD OHU SOLDIERS RECLAIMING GAJOU INSTEAD OF IT GETTING BLOWN UP LIKE IT'S SUDDENLY A MICHAEL BAY MOVIE LIKE GOSH

I'm sorry I just really love how the GDW anime handled the story I could talk about it so much.
I completely agree, I got totally confused with the whole politics thing with Gajou, so glad that was completely cut! And Toube's death was much better in the anime while the manga, that pup didn't even do anything great or relevant afterwards, a complete waste of space! As for Gin's escape, I'm a bit torn on it, I would've liked to see Gin kick more ass in the anime but yeah, his escape in the manga is not really well put together.
Digsu wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:02 am
Dragon wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:27 am Something else I like is Weed going rouge to avenge his dad, who he thought died. Despite all his preaching and maturity, even he cracked to try avenging him.
I definitely liked that, too, since it's one of the few times it actually shows Weed as human instead of the incorruptible paragon of goodness he's presented as 90% of the time.

Though I do feel like the timing could have been better - it literally happens in the same volume where he throws a tantrum over Jerome killing the hound spies and kicks him out of the pack. If there had been a bit more time between the two events, I feel it would have come off as less hypocritical on Weed's part.

Also that brings me to Jerome's exile, which I also feel was done much better in the anime - aside from it bringing closure to Lecter and Thunder's existence, the exile itself is treated with more gravity, and instead of Jerome and Weed reconciling within hours of their falling out Jerome chooses to honor Weed's orders and stick to the shadows with the Shikoku siblings, and in the end Jerome atones for his mistakes by saving Weed's life by sacrificing himself instead of just showing up and having Weed magically forgive him.
That's the whole reason I didn't like Weed going up against Murder S, the timing of it was way off and Weed is meant to be the dog who forgives and yet there, he goes crazy vengeance! I do also prefer the exile in the anime, Lector and Thunder are just so wasted in the manga, couldn't they have at least showed up near the end battle to aid Hougen or Sniper or just something? Anything! It also brings more debate to whether or not Weed was right to exile Jerome due to how bad Lector and Thunder were.
Shining Sirius wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm I think Unsai is ugly. :unsai:
I do too, I think alot of the new dogs in GDWO are UGLY! :orion3:
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I have never been that much of a fan of Kyoushiro!

I’m putting this in a spoiler tab because this may be a long explanation.
SPOILER
Last edited by Spirit Tree on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I thought that Bill was Sniper's father when I saw him first time in anime XD
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

This might not be much of an unpopular 'confession', but I know some are against it xP
But my favorite arc of GDW is the Russian arc BECAUSE of how dark and detailed it is. I've been seeing/watching too many anime that are over the top in their sappiness and plot armored to the brim. Though plot armor is still something Ginga struggles with, I felt like it was a good balanced amount in this arc. The darkness we witness in the Russian arc was heartbreaking, immense, and lingered for such a long time. Ohu didn't win right away. They struggled and almost lost. The villains and their subordinates weren't pushovers or idiots and none of them wavered. There was real suspense and that's great.

ImageImage
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Dragon wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:14 am This might not be much of an unpopular 'confession', but I know some are against it xP
But my favorite arc of GDW is the Russian arc BECAUSE of how dark and detailed it is. I've been seeing/watching too many anime that are over the top in their sappiness and plot armored to the brim. Though plot armor is still something Ginga struggles with, I felt like it was a good balanced amount in this arc. The darkness we witness in the Russian arc was heartbreaking, immense, and lingered for such a long time. Ohu didn't win right away. They struggled and almost lost. The villains and their subordinates weren't pushovers or idiots and none of them wavered. There was real suspense and that's great.

Exactly. AND Ohu opponents didn't outnumber them! The opposite actually. That's very new.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Tsukitora
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Tsukitora »

I want to see Yoshi do some new wolf arc art soon or at least draw or bring in wolf characters. I know he’s not fond of the wolf arc but I’d really like to see what wolves would look like in his current art style.

I also wish he’d remember Fuji and do something of her in current style, as he hasn’t before and it would be fun to see how he designs her as we never got a quality colored manga picture with her either.
Call me Cammi!
:mukonga: :fuuga: :mangariki: :gdwcross: :gdwakatora: :gdwkurotora: :gin: :lenny: :blue:

Avatar credit to the amazing Kasi!
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Tsukitora wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:19 am I want to see Yoshi do some new wolf arc art soon or at least draw or bring in wolf characters. I know he’s not fond of the wolf arc but I’d really like to see what wolves would look like in his current art style.
Exactly! I want to know what happened of Hyouma and others. Also, the characters learned some impressive wolf moves. I would have loved to see them use those in GDN. They themselves even said that they would use them to make sure each wolf's legacy would not be forgotten.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Sat_Cab

Post by Sat_Cab »

Kaiken wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:22 am
Tsukitora wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:19 am I want to see Yoshi do some new wolf arc art soon or at least draw or bring in wolf characters. I know he’s not fond of the wolf arc but I’d really like to see what wolves would look like in his current art style.
Exactly! I want to know what happened of Hyouma and others. Also, the characters learned some impressive wolf moves. I would have loved to see them use those in GDN. They themselves even said that they would use them to make sure each wolf's legacy would not be forgotten.
Has Yoshi publicly stated his dislike of the wolf arc? If so, does there exist a source of him making such statements? Or did he decide to silently retcon it and just pretend it never happened?
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Sat_Cab wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:23 pm
Has Yoshi publicly stated his dislike of the wolf arc? If so, does there exist a source of him making such statements? Or did he decide to silently retcon it and just pretend it never happened?
Though I don't know exactly where the Information on that came from but Yoshi has said he didn't like the Wolf arc and wanted to end it with the big battle against Akakabuto and even said a similar thing about the Monkey Arc in GDW, I don't think he like it either but I did like it and the wolf acr though only some small details I think could've been altered like the magic and multiple headed dragon element.

Sat_Cab

Post by Sat_Cab »

Gingaddict wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:52 pm
Sat_Cab wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Though I don't know exactly where the Information on that came from but Yoshi has said he didn't like the Wolf arc and wanted to end it with the big battle against Akakabuto and even said a similar thing about the Monkey Arc in GDW, I don't think he like it either but I did like it and the wolf acr though only some small details I think could've been altered like the magic and multiple headed dragon element.
To me the wolf arc appeared to be a rushed. At some points new plot details were haphazardly added, as if he thought of them last minute, like the existence of the empire them invading the moment after they're revealed. (Also, there was a character named Thunder Wolf- I sure wonder for how many months Yoshi was scratching his head coming up with that name). I presume he dislikes the wolf arc because he may (rightfully) think he sloppily executed it.

Did he give any reasoning for disliking the monkey arc? It doesn't appear to be rushed nor does it seem to be executed worse than other GDW arcs. (Admittedly however, I only read the monkey, Russian, and the first chapters of the hybrid arc- I am at high risk to being oblivious to the quality drop off at the end of the Hougen arc, if it exists).
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Sat_Cab wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:13 am Did he give any reasoning for disliking the monkey arc? It doesn't appear to be rushed nor does it seem to be executed worse than other GDW arcs. (Admittedly however, I only read the monkey, Russian, and the first chapters of the hybrid arc- I am at high risk to being oblivious to the quality drop off at the end of the Hougen arc, if it exists).
Im not sure if he actually hated the monkey arc, but I can believe him wanting to end it at Hougen arc and then got the news he has to continue cause of GDW's success. Something that comes to mind is how the Hougen arc had a clear path, characters who had issues had their problems solved by the end of it. Everyone stayed in character.

Then we go to the Monkey and Russian arc where Kyoshiro's strange behavior becomes a bit more noticeable. Hiro's attitude changes from calm big tough guy to angry big tough guy. The monkey arc starts with Joe being designed one way and the kids acting one way as babies, then changing by the end of it. The russian arc felt like Yoshi had ideas again and staying consistent as well, but then in Joe's arc, it gets repetitive and bored-feeling as Yoshi just throws in more bears to be bigger and badder than the last.

Some think GDWO isnt as well written but personally, I think it stayed pretty consistently good and not too dragging-its-feet like. TLW and GDN does feel that way sadly u_u characters are pushed to the background and no one really has anything going on anymore. Very depressing

ImageImage
Sat_Cab

Post by Sat_Cab »

Dragon wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:29 am
Sat_Cab wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:13 am Did he give any reasoning for disliking the monkey arc? It doesn't appear to be rushed nor does it seem to be executed worse than other GDW arcs. (Admittedly however, I only read the monkey, Russian, and the first chapters of the hybrid arc- I am at high risk to being oblivious to the quality drop off at the end of the Hougen arc, if it exists).
TLW and GDN does feel that way sadly u_u characters are pushed to the background and no one really has anything going on anymore. Very depressing
Perhaps that's him overcompensating in his attempt to avoid the mistake he made in the wolf arc of cramming about half a dozen new characters in every new chapter?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Sat_Cab wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:13 am To me the wolf arc appeared to be a rushed. At some points new plot details were haphazardly added, as if he thought of them last minute, like the existence of the empire them invading the moment after they're revealed. (Also, there was a character named Thunder Wolf- I sure wonder for how many months Yoshi was scratching his head coming up with that name). I presume he dislikes the wolf arc because he may (rightfully) think he sloppily executed it.

Did he give any reasoning for disliking the monkey arc? It doesn't appear to be rushed nor does it seem to be executed worse than other GDW arcs. (Admittedly however, I only read the monkey, Russian, and the first chapters of the hybrid arc- I am at high risk to being oblivious to the quality drop off at the end of the Hougen arc, if it exists).
He mentioned not liking the wolf and monkey arcs in some interviews he did years ago. The old board has them archived here.
Q: How much did the publisher affect in the wolf saga?
A: After Akakabuto's defeat I was exhausted. I was told to keep on drawing, and I didn't have a clue what to do, and someone suggested wolves. Actually, after Akakabuto was defeated the publisher suggested a new enemy; Aokabuto. I told them that I wouldn't draw it.

Q: Why did the wolves drop out of the story?
A: I think the wolves should had never appeared in the series. I did not like them, and the arc wasn't as popular as the Akakabuto arc.
Q: Has there been any event in your series that you regret?
A: Yes, there has. The ape arc was one, for example. If the story had been all about the apes the story wouldn't have made any sense. That's why I put Yukimura in there to switch the focus of that arc.

Sat_Cab

Post by Sat_Cab »

Digsu wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:50 am
Sat_Cab wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:13 am To me the wolf arc appeared to be a rushed. At some points new plot details were haphazardly added, as if he thought of them last minute, like the existence of the empire them invading the moment after they're revealed. (Also, there was a character named Thunder Wolf- I sure wonder for how many months Yoshi was scratching his head coming up with that name). I presume he dislikes the wolf arc because he may (rightfully) think he sloppily executed it.

He mentioned not liking the wolf and monkey arcs in some interviews he did years ago. The old board has them archived here.
Q: How much did the publisher affect in the wolf saga?
A: After Akakabuto's defeat I was exhausted. I was told to keep on drawing, and I didn't have a clue what to do, and someone suggested wolves. Actually, after Akakabuto was defeated the publisher suggested a new enemy; Aokabuto. I told them that I wouldn't draw it.

Q: Why did the wolves drop out of the story?
A: I think the wolves should had never appeared in the series. I did not like them, and the arc wasn't as popular as the Akakabuto arc.
Q: Has there been any event in your series that you regret?
A: Yes, there has. The ape arc was one, for example. If the story had been all about the apes the story wouldn't have made any sense. That's why I put Yukimura in there to switch the focus of that arc.
I see. I erroneously assumed the wolf arc was the result of Yoshi's own misjudgment. Overhead pressure from higher-ups to produce for the sake of producing explains everything- from the compressed plot to the sudden jolts in story direction. Looks like this is yet another example for why profit-driven management should keep their hands off of the creative process of artists.
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

I like some of the characters, but the story for GNG is really weak for me. The beginning is better, the ending is ok, in between is just repetitive collection of dogs with every fight that occurs ends up being a misunderstanding.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

Tbh, if not Gingaboard then any affection and thoughts I generally had on the series would have faded into nothingness. It - like things like Naruto and Innocent Venus - would just be that dog anime that I really liked when I was a teenager. Something that I no longer wish to revisit and something that I hold no strong feelings, not even nostalgic warmth.

As of posting, I will have been on GB for 11 years. Nearly 12. I've never stayed on any forum for that long. And in staying here, it's kept the Ginga fires burning in my heart. Even if they're more like a glowing ember these days.
Unbothered. Moisturized. Happy. In My Lane. Focused. Flourishing

Bear photo by Dennis Field
Av by OsoAventuroso
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Here's a confession for you - I HATE SASUKE!

I find him to be a very clumsy character who always gets into trouble and does things wrong. Also they constantly tease him for jokes but there's been scenes that show that this teasing actually effects him emotionally so why write these things in the first place? Like when he fell in love with Chako and Kyoshiro and GB mock him for it, did they welcome him back with open arms? No!

Also I have never really forgiven him for what he did with Weed's pups, if he had not left them in that shed by themselves, they never would've been separated or injured. Seriously, we never see him show any remorse or apology for this!! Also, he's not good at fighting and yet he's always in a battle scene?

The worst part I have to say is his toilet humour, it's just so utterly disgusting! Even a Adam Sandler movie ain't that ugly!

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Gingaddict wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:26 pm Here's a confession for you - I HATE SASUKE!

I find him to be a very clumsy character who always gets into trouble and does things wrong. Also they constantly tease him for jokes but there's been scenes that show that this teasing actually effects him emotionally so why write these things in the first place? Like when he fell in love with Chako and Kyoshiro and GB mock him for it, did they welcome him back with open arms? No!

Also I have never really forgiven him for what he did with Weed's pups, if he had not left them in that shed by themselves, they never would've been separated or injured. Seriously, we never see him show any remorse or apology for this!! Also, he's not good at fighting and yet he's always in a battle scene?

The worst part I have to say is his toilet humour, it's just so utterly disgusting! Even a Adam Sandler movie ain't that ugly!

Agreed. While there are worse characters than him, and he's more like goofy old pops, I still don't like any of that. I don't want him in comic! Dx
Favorites:

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”