Ginga Densetsu Noah in Finnish

News and general discussion of topics that encompass all Finnish translations of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Ginga Densetsu Noah in Finnish

Post by Spirit Tree »

Ginga Densetsu Noah will be published in Finnish after concluding GTLW!

Finland will begin translating GDN next year when they are finished with GTLW. Since GDN is ongoing, it says that GDN will be translated and published in Finnish every other month.

Who’s excited and ready for that?! :EXCITE:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Re: Ginga Densetsu Noah in Finnish

Post by WolfKing »

Spirit Tree wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:13 pm Ginga Densetsu Noah will be published in Finnish after concluding GTLW!

Finland will begin translating GDN next year when they are finished with GTLW. Since GDN is ongoing, it says that GDN will be translated and published in Finnish every other month.

Who’s excited and ready for that?! :EXCITE:
Me, absolutely!

More of it to collect
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Heck yea Finland! You're caught up by now XD
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

That's awesome!
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Suetic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suetic »

Can't wait for the first volume to be released!

InstagramToyhou.seTumblrTwitter

⚡Avatar by Pikafuey.⚡
Aram

Post by Aram »

Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

Imma be honest...
I wanna smack the person who chose that soft, round, and bouncy font for the title lol
You can't have edgy bear scars and then use a font that makes you think about bubblegum.
Image Image
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Leomonade wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:52 pm Imma be honest...
I wanna smack the person who chose that soft, round, and bouncy font for the title lol
You can't have edgy bear scars and then use a font that makes you think about bubblegum.
I have to agree, that's a... pretty interesting font choice. I honestly would have preferred a more basic font, like the one used on the "Legend of Silver Fang" subtitle they carried over from the Japanese version.

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I really don’t mind the fonts. I just don’t have any feelings about them. I just looked at them and was like “Huh...ok.”

Perhaps seeing the colors soon will change my view of the Finnish title style. If I’m not mistaken, the first volume is said to be released on April 23, 2021, according to Aram’s image. Then, as announced several months ago, the next volumes will be released in every other month. Well I can’t wait. :EXCITE:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Aram

Post by Aram »

Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

Might be my first ginga manga that I'll collect as it releases. Just hoping I get to catch up in the meantime. I've already covered GNG and most GDW.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Aram wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:15 pm And here is cover of GDN in Finnish.
Interesting choice of color on the letters. Though I think yellow would have fit a little bit better than blue. But that’s just my opinion.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

The first volume includes release dates for volumes 1-5:

Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

Kind of shame it only comes out every other month but it's not a big deal for me. I enjoyed reading the first volume.
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Ohh Nice!!
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Peikko

Post by Peikko »

Went to buy it today only to find out they don't sell it in the local store |(
Everything is fine as long as it looks like I know what I'm doing.
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

I bought my volume today, and there are two things that caught my attention.

First, you can see the edge of Akame's portrait in the cover art: Second, it seems that Juha Mylläri, the person who translated entirety of GNG, GDW, GDWO, GDA and Last Wars (and some of the side stuff like Shin Gaidens and Weed Gaiden) in Finnish has finally stepped down from translating Ginga. The first volume of Noah had this info written on it:
Finnish edition © Taavi Suhonen and Punainen jättiläinen
(Punainen jättiläinen is the Finnish publisher)

Taavi Suhonen is behind the Finnish translation of First Wars and Boku no Inu, Boku no Weed (latter also used some translation by Mylläri and he was credited). I immediately noticed the different translator while reading Finnish version of Noah, because Mylläri has a distinct feeling in his translation work that was clearly missing - it's just small things, but they are something I've got used to in the last 11 years I've been reading his translation with Ginga, and now that they're gone...I kind of miss it now.

I don't know if anyone finds this interesting, but these are just things I think about. :surprisegin:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

YamaDora wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:12 pm Second, it seems that Juha Mylläri, the person who translated entirety of GNG, GDW, GDWO, GDA and Last Wars (and some of the side stuff like Shin Gaidens and Weed Gaiden) in Finnish has finally stepped down from translating Ginga. The first volume of Noah had this info written on it:
Finnish edition © Taavi Suhonen and Punainen jättiläinen
(Punainen jättiläinen is the Finnish publisher)

Taavi Suhonen is behind the Finnish translation of First Wars and Boku no Inu, Boku no Weed (latter also used some translation by Mylläri and he was credited). I immediately noticed the different translator while reading Finnish version of Noah, because Mylläri has a distinct feeling in his translation work that was clearly missing - it's just small things, but they are something I've got used to in the last 11 years I've been reading his translation with Ginga, and now that they're gone...I kind of miss it now.

I don't know if anyone finds this interesting, but these are just things I think about. :surprisegin:
Yeah, I noticed that, too. I think Suhonen's style is slightly more... casual, I guess? Mylläri used this really formal-sounding language in Ginga, which I felt fit pretty well with the "noble samurai tale" style of the series, whereas Suhonen makes the dialogue sound more like how people might actually speak in real life.

I think the most notable difference is that Suhonen uses the pronoun "hän" (basically "he/she/[singular] they") when referring to the dog characters, when Mylläri always used "se" (basically "it"). It's a small change and ultimately doesn't affect anything, but seeing it suddenly change after so many years is kind of jarring ngl.

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Digsu wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:20 pmI think the most notable difference is that Suhonen uses the pronoun "hän" (basically "he/she/[singular] they") when referring to the dog characters, when Mylläri always used "se" (basically "it"). It's a small change and ultimately doesn't affect anything, but seeing it suddenly change after so many years is kind of jarring ngl.
Yeah, I also found that really jarring, especially during the "Orion standing on a cliff" scene with four narrator boxes in a row that constantly go "he this and he that".

I also felt like that some of the translations by Suhonen did not feel smooth/natural dialogue, there were couple times when I found myself thinking that there was a way to make some of the dialogue feel more natural. Mylläri just had a way to not only translate things in Finnish, but also make it sound good, too. There is a difference between doing a direct translation and actually making it sound good in the language you're translating it to.

Return to “Hopeanuoli and other Finnish Publications”