Ginga Densetsu Noah in Finnish

News and general discussion of topics that encompass all Finnish translations of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Re: Ginga Densetsu Noah in Finnish

Post by Dragon »

Whoa, this is really cool to read about how the translations of another language sounds! Do share more if you guys notice anything else ^^

ImageImage
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

ngl I'm slightly bothered by how Hirota's pack describing the dogs who left with Munechika has been translated. I know Japanese can be rather ambiguous at times and you frequently need to reword dialogue quite heavily to make it sound more fluent and natural (facts that I'm quite familiar with myself), but comparing the Finnish translation to Fanta's English one, the former seems to just be plain wrong.

"How about a red-furred dog..."
"...with black stripes?"
"Hikaru, who's got stars/a star on his forehead..."
"...is my big brother."

The issue is that, as seen much, much later, the three dogs Munechika has with him match the descriptions given in Fanta's translation, but not the Finnish one.

We've got a red-furred dog, a black-furred dog, and a dog with dots on his forehead, but no dogs that are red with black stripes (possibly, I guess Tora could be dark red?) or have stars on their forehead. Not to mention that not only were Jack and Tora's names omitted, they were apparently fused into one dog in the Finnish dialogue?

idk the whole thing just seems really messy to me.

Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

The Finnish subtitles for the animes can also be a bit messy
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

*when I don't have Noah in Japanese to check*

That's really irritating stuff
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

In the previous page, when Munechika's wife explained that his husband had gone to join the Ouu army with three friends, there were shadows of only three dogs shown. Maybe the translator got confused by the image and thought that there were only two dogs + Munechika? That would explain the the translation mentioning only two dogs.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Jinto wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:18 pm The Finnish subtitles for the animes can also be a bit messy
The main issue here is that, generally speaking, the translation for the mangas has been very high quality, but as discussed on the previous page GDN has a different translator than the rest of the main series so something this glaring happening is definitely a bit jarring.
Tora wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:38 pm *when I don't have Noah in Japanese to check*

Even without checking the original Japanese, the fact that Tora and Jack were somehow combined into one dog, despite the original dialogue clearly referencing two separate named dogs, seems like a pretty big blunder.

The issue with whether Hikaru/Hikari has spots or stars on his head is a bit more understandable, since I assume the word used was "hoshi" which can refer to either stars or spots, but since we've already seen what he looks like we know it should be "spots". Again, it's a lot more excusable, but since it being wrong means all of the descriptions are wrong it just looks bad.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:56 pm
Tora wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:38 pm *when I don't have Noah in Japanese to check*

Even without checking the original Japanese, the fact that Tora and Jack were somehow combined into one dog, despite the original dialogue clearly referencing two separate named dogs, seems like a pretty big blunder.

The issue with whether Hikaru/Hikari has spots or stars on his head is a bit more understandable, since I assume the word used was "hoshi" which can refer to either stars or spots, but since we've already seen what he looks like we know it should be "spots". Again, it's a lot more excusable, but since it being wrong means all of the descriptions are wrong it just looks bad.
Fair enough. But what chapter was this in?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Got an ebook version of the Japanese volume to check.

imho it seems pretty cut-and-dry that they're talking about two different dogs, one with red fur and one with black fur.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:02 pm Got an ebook version of the Japanese volume to check.

imho it seems pretty cut-and-dry that they're talking about two different dogs, one with red fur and one with black fur.
Yup. Red-furred Jack, and black-furred Tora. And the name is Hikaru.

Thanks Digsu ^^

Edit
Something I've noticed in my Noah vol 1 compared to up to Orion 5 I have in Finnish, is that they use ō instead of ou, like Kyōshirō instead of Kyoushirou, and Ōu instead of Ouu.

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

After reading Mylläri's Finnish translation for over ten years, I just find Taavi Suhonen's (the Finnish translator of GDN) translation very disorienting. Not only the dialogue is way more casual in Suhonen's translation, but he also uses stronger swears and it just keeps thowing me off every time it happens.

Also unrelated, but something I found interesting after reading volume 4: Shuou calls himself "Sinooperikuningas" ("Cinnabar King") in the Finnish translation.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

YamaDora wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:49 pm Also unrelated, but something I found interesting after reading volume 4: Shuou calls himself "Sinooperikuningas" ("Cinnabar King") in the Finnish translation.
That's interesting, since that's the literal translation of his name. I hope it's just a one-off stylistic decision (or even mistakenly thinking it's a title instead of a name), because it's going to sound pretty silly if it sticks... Especially since, using that naming convention, Wanwan would be Kuningaskuningas/Kingking.
:Koyukisweat:

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Digsu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:43 pm
YamaDora wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:49 pm Also unrelated, but something I found interesting after reading volume 4: Shuou calls himself "Sinooperikuningas" ("Cinnabar King") in the Finnish translation.
That's interesting, since that's the literal translation of his name. I hope it's just a one-off stylistic decision (or even mistakenly thinking it's a title instead of a name), because it's going to sound pretty silly if it sticks... Especially since, using that naming convention, Wanwan would be Kuningaskuningas/Kingking.
Here's the page where he says it: (for the record, that's the only time he uses the title "Sinooperikuningas"...but then again, his name was only used twice in this volume, so...)
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

YamaDora wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:23 pm
Digsu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:43 pm
Here's the page where he says it: (for the record, that's the only time he uses the title "Sinooperikuningas"...but then again, his name was only used twice in this volume, so...)
Ah, I see. That makes more sense I guess, but turning the literal translation of his name into a title is still a bit strange. :tfw_aokabuto1:

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Oh, so translated the name and then stated his name in Japanese. Interesting
Like Gin would be: Hopea Gin lmao

Also, yay, now I know Finnish say it as Aka-Ari Army. Thank you

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Tora wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:45 pm Also, yay, now I know Finnish say it as Aka-Ari Army. Thank you
Yup, they're called "Aka-ari armeija" in the Finnish translation!
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

They didn't translate the Kurohabaki army's name in GDWO so I think it's fair they did not translate Aka-Ari either... Tho since they are paying attention to the red name theme I wonder if they mentioned what Aka-Ari means?
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I more meant if they would say Akaari, Aka'ari, or Aka-ari of spelling ^^

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Return to “Hopeanuoli and other Finnish Publications”