Favorite and Least Favorite TLW Characters

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: The Last Wars.
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Favorite and Least Favorite TLW Characters

Post by Gingastar »

A topic to discuss your favorite and least favorite Ginga: The Last Wars characters! Who is your character so far? :D

My favorites are:
Orion (all time favorite Ginga character)
Sirius
Shion/Zion
Chibi
Rigel
Monsoon
Bob

Least favorite:
Kyoushiro

Feel free to discuss why you think of certain characters are your favorite or least favorite!

Please be sure to remain respectful of others! We all have different favorites and least favorites! :D
Last edited by Gingastar on Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Banners by me and Sandatora!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Re: Favorite and Least Favorite TLW Characters

Post by Dragon »

It's hard picking favorites for this one, because everyone acts so different or strange in some chapters.
I'll keep it simple though. Bon and Izou would be my favorites, and maybe Yamabiko? It's just, Bon, Yamabiko, and Andy all seem to trade around the same ideas/words, so I can't tell the exact personalities of them besides siding with Orion and finding Sirius crazy, but at the moment, I just really like how great they look after growing up. (I know, looks isn't everything, but ..it's Ginga.) A special spotlight to Akakamakiri too, he's a very interesting ex-villain ^3^

Least favorite is definitely Sirius, but I'm expecting to see lots of that as an answer xD; Maybe Kyoshiro and Gennai? Gennai for sure, but I'm getting tired of Kyoshiro being OOC and just being the one to always be against Orion.

ImageImage
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Okami wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:36 am Maybe Kyoshiro and Gennai? Gennai for sure, but I'm getting tired of Kyoshiro being OOC and just being the one to always be against Orion.
I completely forgot about Kyoushiro : S Yeah I can definitely say that, in terms of TLW, he is definitely one of my least favorite. As you said I too feel that Kyoushiro is OOC. His character has become very confusing and any sense of development he's gotten throughout the series just seems to dissipate more and more. It's a shame, really. :c
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Banners by me and Sandatora!
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

Favourites:
Kenshin
Sirius
Jerome
Sunny
Kawasemi

Dislike:
Gennai
Orion (TLW only)
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Oh this is going to be pretty difficult. I'm having a hard time liking many characters from TLW ATM, but I'll try my best.

Rigel - The only one of his brothers to have a clear head. He doesn't overact like Orion, but isn't for getting along with a homicidal Monsoon like Sirius wants to, and is willing to listen to and consider both sides of arguments. I only wish he could show more leadership, as I see so much potential in this character.

Cross - She has taken so much responsibility in the protection of Jerome's pups Maru and Sunny, and when she finally returns to the Ouu Army, she's really the only one within it who tries to talk some sense in the members that act out. I would have loved to have seen her in a leadership role like Kurotora had joked, but alas... XD

Bob - Out of all of the characters in TLW, Bob has shown the most character development. We see his past, so we know what his circumstances are, he's had personal conflicts, forcing him to make some tough decisions. At this point in the story, I can only see this fresh character improving. He could grow stronger and fight, he could stay weak and offer support, or he could have another conflict forcing him to switch sides again.

Mixed Opinion:

Orion - I've really wanted to like Orion's character in this series, but I've really only seen it stay the same and grow steadily weaker since his appearance in GDW:O. His heart is in the right place, but he still acts rashly, talks like a brat, shows contempt against some of his allies, and only thinks about fighting. There have been moments when he shows maturity as a leader, but as soon as he hears something he doesn't like, he's quick to dismiss it. If Orion's feelings dictate less and less of his actions, I might like him. But for now, he's got some way to go.

Sirius - Sirius has become a complete pacifist, and seems to be more kindhearted than his father. Which is fine, character-wise. Many people here disapprove of Sirius's actions on trying to get along with Monsoon, but I believe it gives a unique twist of conflict in the story. My only problem with this is that he's doing this over and over again and getting the same results: Monsoon wanting to eat him and his allies, and he hasn't taken the hint that perhaps trying to get along with Monsoon isn't a wise idea. If Sirius can successfully be friends with Monsoon or change his mind and decide Monsoon isn't worth saving (AND FAST), then I might like him. Right now, this character is just stuck in limbo.

Monsoon - Monsoon has shown to be just as clever and as strong (if not, stronger) as his father Akakabuto. I only wish his strength had more of an impact on his enemies in later chapters. He's caused so much damage, and has really only killed less than 10 characters to show for it. On the bright side, he has more dialogue, giving us slightly more character development so he's not quite as blood-thirsty as Akakabuto. This extra dialogue shows that he can be more evil than his father. He wants to keep dogs alive to eat as food, he constantly abuses Bob, and he's even forsaken his kin. His interactions with Sirius are interesting, but also, just like my problem with Sirius, he only thinks about eating dogs as food, and doesn't even consider why Sirius keeps following him.

Disikes:

Gennai - I admire Gennai's valor, but his character has shown little to no like-ability. He shows no development, he's quick to violence, and his attitude towards almost everyone around him is standoffish. He's quick to take charge, he's rude to his allies, and just about all of his actions do little to raise the morale of his group.

Kyoushirou - Honestly, I had no high hopes for character development for Kyoushirou, but I didn't expect his character to de-evolve as quickly as it did. At this point in the series, he's disapproving of almost all of Orion's actions (and seems to forget his approval of the logical ones), and is quick to beat Orion, or attempts to. This in my opinion goes against everything his character in past series stood for (Knowing when to express violence and when not to, beating on young dogs). If there is anyone who deserves to be Orion's skeptic, it's either Unsai or Kawasemi.
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

Favourites
Rigel - He's level headed and seems to be the only sane member of the Star siblings (since Bella isn't around)

Chibi - He's adorable!

Akame - he lost and eye (kinda) and still managed to fight. the guy's a badass!

Dislikes
Sirius - he's putting everyone in danger because of his thoughts, which haven't worked since the start. There might be some progress, but not enough to convince me he's right.

Gennai - Never liked him in general
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Honestly I'm mostly indifferent to most characters in this due to them being caught into character development limbo

Favorites:

Rigel: He's in the middle of the two extremes and calls out both of his extremist brothers when he finds that they're acting irrational. But agrees with Sirius that bear cubs are not evil, agrees with Orion that Monsoon is irredeemable and needs to die, so he tries to find common ground. The fact that the Ou army is not even thinking about him as the successor is infuriating. A leader shouldn't have an one-track mind, good leaders are level-headed and diplomatic. I know the manga is trying to convince us (badly) that Orion is like Riki, but nope, I see Rigel closer to Riki's personality than Orion.

Bob: Poor guy is trying so hard, yet both bears and dogs treat him badly. Had been conditioned to follow Monsoon through terror and beating until he told him to go to hell and joined his fellow dogs. Sirius also called him "just bitter", which made me really dislike him then.

Dislikes:

Gennai: Like with Tenka and Masamune I really can't stand such anthropomorphic dogs that Yoshihiro dabbled with, and his ugly design goes with an insufferable personality about how Macho-er Than You he is.

Kyoushirou: From my favorite in GDW is my least favorite at the end of GDWO and TLW. Every aspect of his previous personality has been flipped. From a survivor of abuse and neglect forming a pack of abandoned and abused dogs to punish their parents, to condoning the exile of a child and then beating a kid.
Remember what he did to dads hitting kids? Yeah... The one time he attacks a younger dog in GDW it's when he tries to convince his own pack that he's evil in order to save them from dying in his mission. Not to mention how he treats Bob, a fellow survivor of child abuse.
Also in the Russian Dog arc, he swims perfectly fine and takes part in the underwater fight against the war dogs:
in TLW:
icon by azzai
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Pretty sure all of these are just repeats of everyone else’s lol, but:

Most Favs (I enjoy mostly everyone in Ginga as a whole, so these guys are just the best of the best for me.)

Rigel: As everyone said, he’s pretty much the best option for leader since Sirius has completely lost his mind and Yoshi doesn’t want to make Orion more mature. I doubt Rigel’ll ever be more than the second-in-command for whoever does become leader, but, yeah, he’s great regardless.

Zion: This is more because of the recent chapters. Zion was pretty nice and cute at the beginning of TLW, but he seems to have far more sense than Sirius. I just wish he would leave and get his bear friends to come and aid Ohu already. He sometimes acts a little too much like Sirius for my liking (like how he totally disregarded Bob’s abuse by Monsoon) so he’s probably my least favorite of the most favorites.

Chibi (AKA Koda <3): I know he’s bear-ly (:P) done anything except lose his mom and almost die, but damn it, if there’s one reason I’d possibly agree with a pacifist ending between bears and dogs...it would be so I can see this little guy grow and hang out with dogs and be cool. But, we’ll have to see what Yoshi does, I guess, so I won’t get too excited.

Orion: I’m putting him here more because of what could’ve been and what I thought Yoshi would do with him. After the whole thing with Akame promising him to stay in Ohu and him stressing out, I really thought Orion would have this huge growth, and I was so happy to see him become more than just the arrogant brat people thought he was. Needless to say, Yoshi broke that dream, but nothing fanfiction can’t solve, right?

Cross: Like Zion, I just have to put her here due to the past few chapters. She’s trying so hard, and I kow Cross hasn’t been treated the best since her fight against Chutora in GNG, but whenever I can see Cross at least try and do something rather than just standing around like an audience surrogate, I’m happy. :)

The Kamakiri Brothers: These guys have interested me since GDW:O, and they still continue to interest me with their grey morality. They aren’t evil, but they aren’t acting all saintly like you’d expect an Ohu soldier to be. Akakama gets bonus points for how sweet his loyalty is to Sirius, even if Sirius doesn’t deserve a lick of it.

Least Favs:

Gennai: This is more of a dislike than a full on hate. He seemed cool in GDW:O with his design and all (before he got that dumb haircut), but now he’s just trying to fill the Hiro-shaped hole in my Hiro-shaped heart and failing. Not to mention how he’s just being a huge asshole for literally no reason, and trying to kill Monsoon when anyone with a brain cell knows that one dog can’t take him on.

Kyoushiro: This is not Kyoushiro. The real Kyoushiro is being held against his will somewhere while an imposter goes around being an asshole to his comrades just for the sake of “Oh, it’s funny when Kyoushiro’s angry, harr harr harr”.

Sirius: Oh boy...I can’t really talk about Sirius without saying what everyone else has said, but yeah...as interesting as it is for someone to talk about peace with bears...yeah, no. Fuck Sirius and dumbass delusions about his Monsoon-senpai.
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

Favourite:
Chibi
Cross
Rigel
Bob

In the middle:
Orion
Sirius

Least Favourite:
Monsoon
Kyoshiro
Gennai
avatar drawn by my friend YerLakar on twitter
sorry for my infrequent visits! am working on it
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Favorites:
Rigel
Zion

Least favorite:
Sirius. Nuff said

blivery
Potential
Potential

Post by blivery »

My favroites? It's hard to say because this are all the old characters (except of bob). I think my favroites here are rigel and unsai (unsai was already my favroite in GDWO). Rigel is a good guy and he don't have a big missbehavior like his brothers. He has a even-tempered personality. And Unsai is just a cool guy. He knows how to react in difficult situations and hes really skilled. Who I dislike in this series (really just since this series) are Orion and kyoushirou. I just hate how they behave, short-tempered and immature. Too violent and selfish. Just... awful. I don't know, never thought of them like that before. But this also makes it interesting. And someone I never really liked much is Gennai. He's too hard and disrespectful, he thinks too high of himself and I don't like it that he thinks he can do whatever he wants to
Tove
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tove »

Sirius. I hate myself a bit for admitting this, but boy oh boy do I like him. Honestly I really am rather disappointed with myself since I'm beyond tired of this what seems to be an endless cycle of super-duper ninja tora-ge protagonists being there to save the world, buuut. Can't help it. I find Sirius funny as fudge and his recent actions have been absolutely hilarious.

Also, Chibi makes my poor little heart melt. This whole "let's be friends with the bears" storyline is brilliant if you ask me. Really looking forward to seeing what Yoshi and his crew have stored up for little Chibbs!

As for least favourite characters. I rarely bother disliking anyone that much, but my god, Orion is quite possibly the most obnoxious character in the history of the series and desperately needs to go sit in the naughty corner and chill for a bit. Get a grip, boy.
Platina
Defender
Defender

Post by Platina »

Right now, Sirius is my most LEAST favorite for obvious reasons! I can KINDA understand what he's trying to do, but man, he's so annoying when he's trying. Orion isn't my favorite right now, either. He's more of a hothead than Riki, I believe. Get a grip, dog! And sadly, Zion isn't my favorite, either, because he keeps getting dragged along by Sirius and allowing it! C'mon man, stand up for yourself!!

Favorites...I don't know. I still like the old Ohu soldiers, like George and Gin. Don't know why.
Platina wolf by me.
Reno
Friend
Friend

Post by Reno »

My favorites are:
Orion
Chibi
Rigel
Jerome
Cross
Kurotora

Least Favorites:
Sirius
Kyoshiro- I always love his guy and it's really sad to see how his character is acting in this series
Image Avatar and banner done by Kasi. Sprite by GSDJohn!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

It's been a while since my last answer. I think I can update a bit.
For example... Sirius I would put in a love-hate category. He's really really bringing some interesting conflict to the Ginga universe I never expected to see before. I'm not sure if it's Yoshi's attempt at making a long, complex story as a change or challenge or what, but Sirius has been unique for the two series he's been in. Though he's more bearable in GDWO, I'm sorta hoping his weird logic is meant to be weird cause it's interesting.

Orion on the other hand .. IS interesting, but a little hard to fully like? I like that he doesn't want to be the leader and knows he wouldn't make a good one. He's confident in his power as a fighter, not a leader. He's always causing trouble with his bois and stuff, but ever since Sirius started to make him made, he's just been .. too mad for my liking. He's overly bratty and aggressive to the people who he calls his friends.
So I think the rival bros are in a perfect gray area for me now.

I really like Chibi. He's not just all cuteness; he also cares deeply for Sirius enough to hate Monsoon for hurting him. He also is aware of what happened to his mom and won't just forgive Monsoon so easily. I can't believe we're witnessing Ginga having a likeable bear [that lived for a while] right now.

ImageImage
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Since TLW is pretty much finished now, I feel that I've read enough of it to make informed choices and opinions regarding the characters.
Speaking of which, it's nice to see that GingaBoard is such an active and accepting community. ^^,

Favourites
Sirius: Granted, when I first started reading TLW, I'll admit that I was a little irked by Sirius... until I read future chapters in which his policies were further explained. I'm not going to pretend that everything he does is perfect, because such a character does not exist, but I just love his calm, iron-spirited and intelligent nature. Definitely my all-time favourite Ginga dog and I will defend this boy to the death.
Monsoon: Honestly, from a storytelling perspective, I think it's quite refreshing to have a bear enemy that isn't just a generic 'I'll murder everyone because I'm a selfish, evil megalomaniac' character. I know people might disagree with that statement, but I really got behind Monsoon's story after he befriended Sirius and Zion - how he was also a trauma victim that bordered on sociopathic with his violent tantrums and then providing glimmers of hope for the audience when he would occasionally spare a life or have an actual conversation with Sirius instead of just ripping him to shreds on the spot like his father would have done.
Akakamakiri: A very good boy. I admire his loyalty towards Sirius (even if his character seems to be strangely torn between duties to Sirius and the Ohu army) and it's always nice to see a character sticking up to Orion when he starts his childish BS.
Cross: Still the best Ginga gal. Even if the Ohu army treats her like a burdensome old lady now. :EMPTY:
Chibi: Just adorable!
Sasuke: Good ol' weird uncle Sasuke!

Mixed Opinion
Rigel: Possibly the biggest disappointment regarding wasted character development. I really wanted to like Rigel, I was stoked on him being the neutral party between Sirius and Orion. Ideally, I would have loved him to be the sort of rational 'here's how you can both be happy' type of character. Instead, I feel like he's just depicted as one of Orion's many sidekicks.
Bob: A close second that I feel has wasted potential. Bob had an interesting story to continue, yet it just disappeared like dust in the wind. We never even got to see him exacting any revenge on Monsoon in the (botched) final battle. His character development starts out as one of the most engaging in TLW, yet it seems immediately side-lined as soon as he joins up with the Ohu army.
Kyoushiro: Oh boy, poor Kyoushiro... he really has fallen from grace. It hurts to see one of the fan favourites going from a brazen young abuse victim with a heart of gold to being a bug-eyed, incapable, comedic relief who is now treated like one of the elder dogs. That being said, part of me did enjoy seeing his stubborn streak clashing with Orion's condescending nature. It seemed only right that these two hotheads would create friction... it was just so disappointing to see the result; Kyoushiro beating up Orion (still only the dog equivalent of a teenager), who just lies there and takes it. R.I.P Kyoushiro's character development.

Least Favourites
Weed: I am now 100% behind the theory that Weed has sustained brain damage, because this is never the same character we saw in GDW and GDW:O. Or I could also get behind the theory that he now hates bears because they killed GB. I'm glad that Weed is still my favourite in the anime, but he's not winning any 'Father of the Year' awards in this series.
Orion: I have tried to like Orion... I really have. Yet, every time I feel I'm warming up to him, he purposely goes off looking to start a fight just to prove that being strong apparently makes him right, disrespects someone... or talks about shit, in more ways than one. I also hate all the apparent similarities Yoshihiro keeps making between Riki and Orion, most of which are inaccurate. Riki was originally a cry-baby who learned from Shiro that fighting is sometimes necessary to uphold justice... Orion is just drunk on fighting.
Toshimitsu: Reckless, hot-headed, smug and generally unlikable.
Sunny & Maru: Horrible little children.
Andy: An utter disgrace to John's lineage since all he really exists for in TLW is to be yet another one of Orion's fanboys.
Gennai: I see you there Yoshi - attempting to replace our beloved Hiro with grumpy grandpa dog. It's not working.
Bon: Still the same stupid, pampered child he was in GDW:O, who, like Andy, pretty much just exists to suck up to Orion and keep his lips zipped like an abuse victim whenever Orion Senpai does or says something he obviously disagrees with.
Last edited by Shining Sirius on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

Favourite? No one really. Any character that I tried to like was sooner or later becoming an irrelevant wasted oportunity. There is no complete character arc for anyone, liked or disliked, it just doesn't have a satysfying conclusion. I pitied for Bob, but again, he ecaped, told his story and that was it, nothing else interesting happened. I've rooted for Rigel to become someone relevant in this story but looks like being Weed's son doesn't matter, he's just a regular soldier with no authority.
There are way too many characters that I did dislike. Either being annoying from the start or all of a sudden begining to act like complete idiots. Talk about consistent characters arcs again...
Orion and Sirius are equal selfish pricks on theirn own ways. I hate them both.

Sorry for being so negative but that's how it is. TLW is a big disapointment to me.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Rusty
Victor
Victor

Post by Rusty »

Fave: Rigel

Least fave: Everyone else
icon by dolan
ZackThePuppy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZackThePuppy »

Rusty wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm Fave: Rigel

HAHA, same XD
Bolty
Potential
Potential

Post by Bolty »

Rusty wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm Fave: Rigel

So true

:akatora: :ben: :benizakura: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:

Return to “Ginga: The Last Wars”