Unsai's Fan Nickname

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Unsai's Fan Nickname

Post by Dragon »

I see lots of people in the fandom calling Unsai a pedophile... and I wondered why he gets the name, but not Moss. Yeah, Unsai does some weird thing where he spreads Orion's legs to check his sex, but compare that to Moss always blushing at the young couples being romantic, claiming he's going to nosebleed and being the friendliest to puppy characters. If I had to tag anyone as pedo, as much as I think Moss is cool otherwise, it would prob be him LOL;;

But I might have missed a scene where Unsai was weirder. Anyone have any opinions or stuff to share about this?

ImageImage
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Unsai's Fan Nickname

Post by Atha »

Moss is old, old people finding young couples cute is not pedophilia...
icon by azzai
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I assume the whole thing stemmed from the "Unsai looks at Orion's balls" moment, as this was before GDWO translations existed and people had no idea why he would just flip Orion over and look at his junk.

Also, regarding Moss, iirc the only instance where he acted weird towards younger dogs was during one Koyuki/Weed scene. While that was definitely... very weird, it was pretty par for the course for the misaimed attempts at humor the scenes had in general, which also included "gems" like GB commenting that Koyuki had a nice ass and Kurotora making a boner joke at Kyoshiro's expense.

And like Atha said, liking children doesn't automatically make you a pedo.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

I'm not saying Moss IS a pedophile, I'm just saying from what I've seen of Unsai, Moss is closer to deserving the nickname than him in my opinion. I know people can like children without seeing them that way ^^; Though the nosebleed thing still weirds me out, I know Yoshi isn't the best at humor.

Sorta sad to think a nickname like that stuck around even after the translations showed it was harmless... .. well.. as harmless as something like that could be lol; But that was all I was curious about was if that was why he got called it or if something worse happened.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Okami wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:04 pm I'm not saying Moss IS a pedophile, I'm just saying from what I've seen of Unsai, Moss is closer to deserving the nickname than him in my opinion. I know people can like children without seeing them that way ^^; Though the nosebleed thing still weirds me out, I know Yoshi isn't the best at humor.

Sorta sad to think a nickname like that stuck around even after the translations showed it was harmless... .. well.. as harmless as something like that could be lol; But that was all I was curious about was if that was why he got called it or if something worse happened.
Ah, all right, I see what you mean now.

As far as I know, Unsai looking at Orion's naughty bits is the "worst" thing he does to him... but again, the lack of context didn't help. For example, there's a scene fairly soon afterwards where Unsai takes Orion to the top of the tree the Sanada ninjas live in and gives him a little philosophy lesson. Within context, it's perfectly harmless, but if you don't know what the purpose of the scene was and you've got that balls-checking scene on your mind, it's very easy to get the wrong idea.

I think the reason the "pedo-setter" joke is still alive is simply because it just happened to stick with the fandom, even after the context of the scene became more widely known. That, and checking a child's genitals to find out their sex instead of just asking them is still kinda weird :derpgin:

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm
Okami wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:04 pm I'm not saying Moss IS a pedophile, I'm just saying from what I've seen of Unsai, Moss is closer to deserving the nickname than him in my opinion. I know people can like children without seeing them that way ^^; Though the nosebleed thing still weirds me out, I know Yoshi isn't the best at humor.

Ah, all right, I see what you mean now.

As far as I know, Unsai looking at Orion's naughty bits is the "worst" thing he does to him... but again, the lack of context didn't help. For example, there's a scene fairly soon afterwards where Unsai takes Orion to the top of the tree the Sanada ninjas live in and gives him a little philosophy lesson. Within context, it's perfectly harmless, but if you don't know what the purpose of the scene was and you've got that balls-checking scene on your mind, it's very easy to get the wrong idea.

I think the reason the "pedo-setter" joke is still alive is simply because it just happened to stick with the fandom, even after the context of the scene became more widely known. That, and checking a child's genitals to find out their sex instead of just asking them is still kinda weird :derpgin:
That explains a lot X'D
This could be similar to Kaibutsu's case, where he doesn't really have a name, besides P4, but the name stuck because it's been used for so long.
Thanks for explaining to me! :3

..True, he seriously could have just asked LOL;;;

ImageImage
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Pff, I'm sorry if my using of the nickname in the other topic sparked this debate. It was a nickname we used for him back on the old board, and I've always liked using it for him. That said, I don't think he's actually a pedophile. xD;
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Knight
Potential
Potential

Post by Knight »

Tikikata wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:51 pm Pff, I'm sorry if my using of the nickname in the other topic sparked this debate. It was a nickname we used for him back on the old board, and I've always liked using it for him. That said, I don't think he's actually a pedophile. xD;
Why do you like it? XD just curious
  ─────────── ʏᴀᴋsʜᴀ :john:
//art by Dragon
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Tikikata wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:51 pm Pff, I'm sorry if my using of the nickname in the other topic sparked this debate. It was a nickname we used for him back on the old board, and I've always liked using it for him. That said, I don't think he's actually a pedophile. xD;
LOL no it's fine. it just made me remember how I kept seeing the nickname when people bring him up so I wanted to bring it up. Ive been meaning to for a while, just kept forgetting to.
But I'm glad, cuz Unsai is pretty cool for an old man ninja dog -w-

ImageImage
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Knight wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 pm
Why do you like it? XD just curious
I think it's just so ridiculous! Without the context, people can take it the wrong way, so we used it as sort of a justification of why he did it. Now that it's not the case, the nickname's just kind of stuck and it makes me laugh. xD
Dragon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 pm
LOL no it's fine. it just made me remember how I kept seeing the nickname when people bring him up so I wanted to bring it up. Ive been meaning to for a while, just kept forgetting to.
But I'm glad, cuz Unsai is pretty cool for an old man ninja dog -w-
Aaah, yes, Unsai is one of my all-time favorite Ginga characters!! I'm glad to see him still getting some attention! ^^
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Haha this whole thing is quite funny, I totally understand why it seems weird if a person wasn't there at the nicknames conception!

Over time I guess the nickname just lost its original meaning, which is why it stuck - it's quite catchy, no? XD An in-joke that just became normalised as opposed to representative.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Arano wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:55 pm Haha this whole thing is quite funny, I totally understand why it seems weird if a person wasn't there at the nicknames conception!

Over time I guess the nickname just lost its original meaning, which is why it stuck - it's quite catchy, no? XD An in-joke that just became normalised as opposed to representative.
When you put it that way, I get what you mean now xD Completely understandable.

ImageImage
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

There's a worse scene in volume 22...
Yoshi's failed sense of humor.
How's that?! Let's take a look
and see how big you've gotten!
Beh!

What, you've still got a long way to go...
Your weenie hasn't gotten big enough to call it much.
Wah! Stop that, you perverted old man!

What about you?!
It's all covered in fur so I can't see it!

Waahaha! You found it!!
See, size isn't everything when it comes to men! Hahaha!
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kasi wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:44 am There's a worse scene in volume 22...
Beh!

What about you?!

Waahaha! You found it!!
...I have no words, but perhaps this gif will suffice.

Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

Beh!

What about you?!

Waahaha! You found it!!
Oh my...
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Beh!

What about you?!

Waahaha! You found it!!
Well uhm.
I see.
Thats uh....
Yoshi, are you leaking more of your inner thoughts into your work?
we didnt need to know this o_x

ImageImage
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Beh!

What about you?!

Waahaha! You found it!!
That nickname.will forever live on... O.o
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Beh!

What about you?!

Waahaha! You found it!!
OOOOH YEAH. THIS... PART.
Oh, Unsai. I love you, but please stop scaring the kids :THOT:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion”