GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Kaiken wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:52 pm
methpring wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:16 pm
It's never mentioned. Somehow during the years he wandered alone.
Well, that's sad. I would love to know about it. Scars usually tell good stories.
Same here! And also how Hougen got his scars, too. :hougen:
Wait, Hougen has SCARS!!!? Unless you mean his ears, then I know, but does he have other scars? I have never noticed it!
Have a nice day!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:00 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Well, that's sad. I would love to know about it. Scars usually tell good stories.
Wait, Hougen has SCARS!!!? Unless you mean his ears, then I know, but does he have other scars? I have never noticed it!
They're on the left side of his face and neck.

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Digsu wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:17 pm

I never noticed it! Well, now I know. Maybe those scars tell a good story as well.
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:25 pm

I never noticed it! Well, now I know. Maybe those scars tell a good story as well.
I think that he got them from fighting with other dogs over territory or a fight with Genba. :tfw_aokabuto1:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Raki wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:36 pm

I think that he got them from fighting with other dogs over territory or a fight with Genba. :tfw_aokabuto1:
I highly doubt that he ever fought with Genba. Genba is literally (I think) the only dog Hougen ever truly loved. His own brother. If they ever had a fight, then it would confuse me. They generally love each other. But it is not out of the picture. They have been puppies as well. They could have done something stupid.
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:48 pm

I highly doubt that he ever fought with Genba. Genba is literally (I think) the only dog Hougen ever truly loved. His own brother. If they ever had a fight, then it would confuse me. They generally love each other. But it is not out of the picture. They have been puppies as well. They could have done something stupid.
I had to check the manga again and I noticed him bleeding from the face,from that time where he and Genba was stuck in a room with other dogs. So I guess he got it from other dogs there. Fighting over food and even killing each other for food. Or the humans slapped him with something. Who knows. :tfw_aokabuto1:

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Raki wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:56 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:48 pm

I had to check the manga again and I noticed him bleeding from the face,from that time where he and Genba was stuck in a room with other dogs. So I guess he got it from other dogs there. Fighting over food and even killing each other for food. Or the humans slapped him with something. Who knows. :tfw_aokabuto1:
Well, that gives us a clue, and also fewer options to work with, which makes it easier to figure out what might have given him those scars. Personally, I don't think any of those dogs would ever dare to touch Hougen. I think it must have been the humans.
Have a nice day!
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

A training fight with Genba was my first thought also.
I highly doubt it's humans, since he definitely had plenty fights with other dogs (how else would they know he's fearsome?) and I don't know any humans who would chew off dogs ears either. xD
The scars don't look human made either, since (in ginga) that is exactly what dog fangs leave - two sets for two fangs, and then another line just like the first. Both close to neck too, so the attacker has barely missed it. Might be a doberman or ninja dog - they have that slash attack.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Kaiken wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 pm A training fight with Genba was my first thought also.
I highly doubt it's humans, since he definitely had plenty fights with other dogs (how else would they know he's fearsome?) and I don't know any humans who would chew off dogs ears either. xD
The scars don't look human made either, since (in ginga) that is exactly what dog fangs leave - two sets for two fangs, and then another line just like the first. Both close to neck too, so the attacker has barely missed it. Might be a doberman or ninja dog - they have that slash attack.
It could also have been the wolfs (I highly doubt it, but they just popped up in my mind). But dogs sounds more likely. It's just that if he got the scars in that little cage thingy then I doubt that it is the dogs. They looked so scared of him and his brother Genba. That's why the humans sounds more likely if he actually got the scars while being trapped in that cage. But yeah, the scars definitely do not look humanmade, and therefore, I really don't know what to believe. It really depends on when Hougen got those scars. That will get us some sort of solid answer about who gave him the scars.
Have a nice day!
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:32 pm
Kaiken wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 pm A training fight with Genba was my first thought also.
It could also have been the wolfs (I highly doubt it, but they just popped up in my mind). But dogs sounds more likely. It's just that if he got the scars in that little cage thingy then I doubt that it is the dogs. They looked so scared of him and his brother Genba. That's why the humans sounds more likely if he actually got the scars while being trapped in that cage. But yeah, the scars definitely do not look humanmade, and therefore, I really don't know what to believe. It really depends on when Hougen got those scars. That will get us some sort of solid answer about who gave him the scars.
Hmm, there really is no evidence he got the scars in cage, is there? He could easily have gotten them before or after. What's more, Genba has no damage or scars at all, so that could be they come from fighting over dominance.
I like the theory about wolves. Even if it can be just a headcannon, it's a good explanation.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Kaiken wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:47 pm
Hmm, there really is no evidence he got the scars in cage, is there? He could easily have gotten them before or after. What's more, Genba has no damage or scars at all, so that could be they come from fighting over dominance.
I like the theory about wolves. Even if it can be just a headcannon, it's a good explanation.
I was told earlier that Hougen was bleeding from his face the time that he was captured with Genba in that cage. Not much evidence, but it's something. It does say that it is a possibility that he got his scars in that cage. It could also just be some bleeding, but it could potentially point to somewhere.
Have a nice day!
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 pm

I was told earlier that Hougen was bleeding from his face the time that he was captured with Genba in that cage. Not much evidence, but it's something. It does say that it is a possibility that he got his scars in that cage. It could also just be some bleeding, but it could potentially point to somewhere.
I assumed it was just his forehead hit, like Gin had? Guess we have to wait until the translation is released to know for sure.
If he really had bleeding scars on his cheek, then there is no question and that solves how he got them.
Favorites:
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Kaiken wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:09 pm

I assumed it was just his forehead hit, like Gin had? Guess we have to wait until the translation is released to know for sure.
If he really had bleeding scars on his cheek, then there is no question and that solves how he got them.
I guess it does solve it. It would make sense, but what about his other scars? those that are not on his cheeks (I think they are on his neck)?
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 pm

I guess it does solve it. It would make sense, but what about his other scars? those that are not on his cheeks (I think they are on his neck)?
SPOILER

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

To add to the discussion, here is how Hougen's scars appear in the flashbacks we see of his past:
SPOILER
Also, as a bit of pure speculation on my part, it's possible that Hougen's ears were cut off by their owner before he locked them up in the shed as a way of telling the two brothers apart. They're damn near identical and the man wasn't exactly an animal lover, so it could be a possibility.

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Raki wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 am
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 pm

SPOILER
So it probably happened in the cage. But still, who gave him the scars? The scars look like something the dogs would have made, but those dogs were just too afraid. The humans weren't afraid, but the scars on Hougen doesn't look humanmade. Then there is Genba, but this two brothers truly love each other, so I don't know why they would be fighting.

Who really gave him those scars if he got them in the cage? THat's what I am really wondering about at the moment.
Have a nice day!
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Hougen's ears are definitely not human cut, because they are too short, and, most importantly, too jagged. A knife or something would make a clean cut. Besides, if the owner wanted to CROP them so the ears stand up, he would have done a better crop (and to both dogs), but if it was to just tell them apart, then he could have cut off just one ear. Even if not, the jagged cut still proves that it must be a dog who damaged his ears.
Maybe there was a dog strong enough who stood strong against Hougen at first, but got killed by him? Or maybe he got his wounds in fights before getting caged up. The owner could have caught him after seeing how powerful he is, and locked up to get good puppies from him (if that's the case, then he could have locked him up because he couldn't otherwise control such a dog). After all there is no way the two brothers were that powerful and violent just from sitting in a cage a couple of weeks. They must have had some fighting experience and training, too.
striker32 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 pm
Spirit Tree wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:41 am
striker32 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:18 am is kagetora a kai ken ? and did smith kill sakura ?
Yes, Kagetora is a Kai Ken. No, Smith did not kill Sakura. Sakura died from some sort of sickness. She probably had trouble eating or drinking water, which led to her sickness.
that's interesting . i thought kagetora wasn't a kai ken . but well said :tfw_bella2:

Yea, Kagetora has been confirmed to be a kai dog several times in the series actually. :) :kagetora:
Favorites:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:54 pm Maybe there was a dog strong enough who stood strong against Hougen at first, but got killed by him? Or maybe he got his wounds in fights before getting caged up. The owner could have caught him after seeing how powerful he is, and locked up to get good puppies from him (if that's the case, then he could have locked him up because he couldn't otherwise control such a dog). After all there is no way the two brothers were that powerful and violent just from sitting in a cage a couple of weeks. They must have had some fighting experience and training, too.
The dog who died of starvation (and whom the other dogs were forced to eat) was the first dog in the shed to die. No one died or was killed in there before him.

Regarding their possible strength, Hougen and Genba were very young when they were locked up in the shed. The events detailed above happened when the two were "about a year old", and by the time all the other dogs were dead, their owner had been gone for six months. Depending on what exactly "about a year" means, the brothers could have been less than half a year old when they were locked up - possibly even younger, since we have no idea how much time passed between the man locking the dogs in the shed and him abandoning them for six months (it's said that he used to regularly bring food for them, so it didn't happen right away). Given how young they were, it's highly unlikely they had much, if any, fighting experience or training before they got locked up.

As for how long they spent in the shed, it definitely wasn't "a couple of weeks". Again, they spent at least six months there, probably even longer.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 pm
Kaiken wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:54 pm Maybe there was a dog strong enough who stood strong against Hougen at first, but got killed by him? Or maybe he got his wounds in fights before getting caged up. The owner could have caught him after seeing how powerful he is, and locked up to get good puppies from him (if that's the case, then he could have locked him up because he couldn't otherwise control such a dog). After all there is no way the two brothers were that powerful and violent just from sitting in a cage a couple of weeks. They must have had some fighting experience and training, too.
The dog who died of starvation (and whom the other dogs were forced to eat) was the first dog in the shed to die. No one died or was killed in there before him.

Regarding their possible strength, Hougen and Genba were very young when they were locked up in the shed. The events detailed above happened when the two were "about a year old", and by the time all the other dogs were dead, their owner had been gone for six months. Depending on what exactly "about a year" means, the brothers could have been less than half a year old when they were locked up - possibly even younger, since we have no idea how much time passed between the man locking the dogs in the shed and him abandoning them for six months (it's said that he used to regularly bring food for them, so it didn't happen right away). Given how young they were, it's highly unlikely they had much, if any, fighting experience or training before they got locked up.

As for how long they spent in the shed, it definitely wasn't "a couple of weeks". Again, they spent at least six months there, probably even longer.
In that case, if he really got the scars while in cage, he could have gotten it while simply fighting some of dogs at first. If not, the two brothers could easily have been young dogs incredibly strong and with good potential. Plenty other ginga characters have already shown to be very strong by that exact age, or even younger. :gin: :weed: :orion: :yamabiko: :kyoushiro: The horrible owner could still have been impressed by them and locked up to try to get pups from them.
As for them time they spent (and also the fact they were so young) I couldn't possibly have known, since that volume hasn't been translated. I said couple of weeks assuming from the GDW animated version they were left with no food and was thinking that maximum of month has passed, since it could be the time dogs could have survived with no food and still be in fighting shape.
Favorites:
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

When we are talking about scars, we know how Kagetora got his but... How about Ken?

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”