GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Tora
Legend
Legend

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by Tora »

A question:
Is it stated anywhere that Ram is a Collie? Or is it just another assumption?
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

So did somewhere during GNG, the series was taken out of Shonen Jump and into this new magazine? Or did GNG stay, but never reached the top again and then once GDW started, Yoshi went from Shonen Jump to the new magazine publishers?

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:52 pm So did somewhere during GNG, the series was taken out of Shonen Jump and into this new magazine? Or did GNG stay, but never reached the top again and then once GDW started, Yoshi went from Shonen Jump to the new magazine publishers?
GNG was published in Shounen Jump for its whole run from 1983 to 1987, and later stories that are directly tied to it (like the GNG Gaidens) were also published in magazines owned by Shueisha. As for GDW, according to Yoshi's interview included in some editions of Byakuren no Fang, years after GNG had ended and he'd drawn a lot of non-dog manga, he finally felt he'd "done all the things he'd wanted to depict in his works", so he decided to return to drawing dog manga. He then tried pitching the idea of a GNG sequel to a few publishers before Nichibun Comics agreed to publish it (he says that, around that time, sequels tended to do badly, which would explain why publishers would be wary of the idea) and thus GDW began running in Weekly Goraku in 1999.

He doesn't name any of the companies that rejected his pitch, but personally I wouldn't be surprised if Shueisha was one of the companies he approached during that time.

Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Here's a question about a picture in the manga - does anyone know in which part, chapter or page Kyoshiro winks and smiles in? I've been going through the scans I have of the manga but I can't seem to find it. There's soooo much book to go through!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Gingaddict wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:28 pm Here's a question about a picture in the manga - does anyone know in which part, chapter or page Kyoshiro winks and smiles in? I've been going through the scans I have of the manga but I can't seem to find it. There's soooo much book to go through!
The first that I found was this. It's from GDW volume 35, chapter 8, page 198.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

methpring wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:53 am
Gingaddict wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:28 pm Here's a question about a picture in the manga - does anyone know in which part, chapter or page Kyoshiro winks and smiles in? I've been going through the scans I have of the manga but I can't seem to find it. There's soooo much book to go through!
The first that I found was this. It's from GDW volume 35, chapter 8, page 198.
YEAH! That's the one - thanks!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Do we have any kanji or kana for the Shikoku siblings in the anime? Hanji, Heita, Ryou, and Ryuu?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:57 pm Do we have any kanji or kana for the Shikoku siblings in the anime? Hanji, Heita, Ryou, and Ryuu?
As far as I know, no known kanji exists for their names. The credits just lump them together as "Shikoku dogs" (四国犬) and Japanese Wikipedia just writes their names in hiragana (りょう, りゅう, はんじ、へいた).

I assume the only way to find out if the animation team ever even gave their names kanji is if some day a studio reference sheet for the four was found. :THOT:

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Digsu wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:07 pm
Tora wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:57 pm Do we have any kanji or kana for the Shikoku siblings in the anime? Hanji, Heita, Ryou, and Ryuu?
As far as I know, no known kanji exists for their names. The credits just lump them together as "Shikoku dogs" (四国犬) and Japanese Wikipedia just writes their names in hiragana (りょう, りゅう, はんじ、へいた).

I assume the only way to find out if the animation team ever even gave their names kanji is if some day a studio reference sheet for the four was found. :THOT:
Thanks. ^^
Studio sheets of them would be nice to find :THOT:

Now, Harunosuke from ep 25 only...

Makes me wonder, anyone have the Japanese DVDs? Do they have Japanese subs on as well?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
GSDJohn
Champion
Champion

Post by GSDJohn »

hopper wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:07 am A quick check , is Teru's father named Riku?
Nope. This is Riku/Rick :) :

~ Image ~

TeePublic Merch

Crumble, Oreo Bastard! :hougen: 🍪

---
Banners and Papercrafts by me. Multiversal Trio Art by SoullessDog. DTJ Art by Dolan!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

hopper wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:44 am
GSDJohn wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:27 am
hopper wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:07 am A quick check , is Teru's father named Riku?
Nope. This is Riku/Rick :) :

Ohh , does his father have a name?
Teru's Father's name is never known. Even if he did have a name, it was never revealed.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Sketch-San

Post by Sketch-San »

Is Nobushige Taichi's father?

I just randomly looked up Nobushige on the Ginga wiki, and the article vaguely mentions that Taichi tried to "save his father" but doesn't really indicate that they're related. But Nobushige's facial markings do look similar to Taichi's so I just had to ask
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Sketch-San wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 pm Is Nobushige Taichi's father?
Yes, he is.

Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Does anyone know why Weed, Joe and Co slept alongside the Hybrid bear? The part is not translated so I haven't figured it out or was something else happening as it has not happened again with a bear before

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Gingaddict wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:45 pm Does anyone know why Weed, Joe and Co slept alongside the Hybrid bear? The part is not translated so I haven't figured it out or was something else happening as it has not happened again with a bear before
As it happens, this exact question was asked (and answered) a few pages back :surprisegin:

tldr; They couldn't do anything about the bear as long as it was asleep, so they figured they might as well sleep and recover their strength themselves as well.

Winston

Post by Winston »

I don't know if this goes here but does anyone know where i can read the GNG/GDW manga in full translated, for free i normally happily would pay but moneys kinda short rn.
:surprisegin: Woe plague be upon ye. :surprisegin:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Spectralram wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:24 am I don't know if this goes here but does anyone know where i can read the GNG/GDW manga in full translated, for free i normally happily would pay but moneys kinda short rn.
Here you go. :)

As for GNG, the official English translation is by Manga Planet. So unfortunately you won't find it in English on Silver Fang Reader. But GDW is definitely there in English.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Winston

Post by Winston »

Spirit Tree wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:33 am
Spectralram wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:24 am I don't know if this goes here but does anyone know where i can read the GNG/GDW manga in full translated, for free i normally happily would pay but moneys kinda short rn.
Here you go. :)

As for GNG, the official English translation is by Manga Planet. So unfortunately you won't find it in English on Silver Fang Reader. But GDW is definitely there in English.
Aaa tysm! :tfw_orion1: sorry for the late reply i was busy until now.
:surprisegin: Woe plague be upon ye. :surprisegin:
Pupis

Post by Pupis »

I haven't read the manga but how Smith lost Sakura? Was it when he saved GB?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Pupis wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:05 am I haven't read the manga but how Smith lost Sakura? Was it when he saved GB?
The entire sequence was quite different from how it was in the anime.
SPOILER

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”