Is Maxim's father evil

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Is Maxim's father evil

Post by Gingaddict »

I have thought about this while reading the GDW manga as it appears that the old Major (Lydia and Maxime's father) told them to invade another land and claim for themselves. So is he evil? I mean Maxime did not tell them what actually happened to the army on Hokkaido so does that mean he could not be trusted with the truth because he too was mean? And in the end, Maxime and his two followers stay on the Russian area planning to turn it into a paradise of their own so does that they had a good land there the whole time but it wasn't because his father was not sharing enough with his allies so therefore called an invasion on another land?

Any thoughts?
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Re: Is Maxim's father evil

Post by Shiruba »

i wouldn't say he was evil as such. From his point of view, he didn't know that he could co-exist with others so maybe he more wanted Maxim to establish a new home rather than outright massacre them. Victor was the one who ordered most of the killing, so i get the feeling that the Marshal's orders were more misunderstood than anything.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I think it's hard to say because we barely see him, but my guess is that the Marshal is, at the very least, a highly morally ambiguous character, if not outright evil. I can understand that he was desperate to find a new home for his people because their current one was borderline uninhabitable, but the fact that he ordered his subordinates to take whatever land they could find by force instead of trying to negotiate some sort of peaceful solution shows that he was no nicer than the other wardogs.

Maxim lying to him about Hokkaido being a barren island instead of suggesting they could live in peace with the locals further suggests that the Marshal was just as bad as Maxim himself at the start of the arc, if not worse, and I'm guessing he was worried that his father would have insisted on another attack if he'd heard the truth about Hokkaido being a fertile land. That said, though, Maxim's own actions at the end of the act are kinda questionable. Him abandoning Lydia against her own wishes and lying to their own father about her death is honestly kinda sus, so it's possible he didn't actually have that noble intentions when lying to his father about what happened in Hokkaido. In addition, I've always found his decision to change Sakhalin into a paradise a bit stupid, since by all accounts, it really was every bit as bad as the dogs made it out to be: all of them were rail thin when they arrived on Hokkaido, in the next arc it's revealed that they sometimes encountered hybrid bears that could kill 10-20 of dogs per battle (and they still sometimes hunted them out of desperation), and no amount of sharing their resources could solve the issue of it being as cold as -30C in the winter. It also doesn't seem like the problem was the Marshal hogging food, as in volume 40 he insists on his soldiers eating before him, even though they want to let him eat first, so it seems like he did deeply care for his pack.

tldr; It's hard to say, but at the very least it sounds like he was as merciless as Maxim and Lydia were at the start of the arc, probably thanks to his military upbringing. But it's tough to say if he was really evil like Viktor.

fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

It's hard to say, but in a way, I believe he is. His plan was to "conquer" a new land for his pack, and while wanting to find abundant land for your pack is admirable, wanting to kill that land's inhabitants to take it over is questionable. Maxim, who is loyal to his father and is bent on following his orders, had no problem killing the inhabitants of Hokkaido early in the arc (excluding the women and children). So if Maxim was okay with killing an island's inhabitants to take their land, so was his father.

I want to say that Maxim lying to his father about Hokkaido suggests that he doesn't trust his father peacefully coexisting with the dogs in Hokkaido. He could have easily told him the truth about Victor's betrayal, Hokkaido's inhabitants actually being peaceful, and Lydia living peacefully in Japan, and you would think that his own father would consider that and be concerned about the plight of his own children...but instead he lied to him...which to me signals a lack of trust.

Like Digsu said, it's hard to say if Maxim's father is as evil as Victor because we hardly ever see him. But judging by Maxim's actions, I'm willing to say his personality is equal to early-arc-Maxim's.
Zeroooo

Post by Zeroooo »

I don’t think he is evil because he couldn’t know about that they can co-exist and only know war and fighting.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”