Ginga Densetsu Weed Review

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
osakaghoul

Ginga Densetsu Weed Review

Post by osakaghoul »

About two years i posted my silverfang review on the boards, i was suppose to review this lot sooner xD, but i just got stuck.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Re: Ginga Densetsu Weed Review

Post by Wolpard »

Nice review! Just watched it.

Its interesting you point out the changes from the mange to anime to be one of the flaws. I actually think the anime was a bit better at telling the story and managing the characters. For example, I think Jerome's death was really emotional in the anime and while he is important in the Russian arc I do kinda wish at least something similar was done in the manga. Dunno. IIRC he is kinda just let back into the pack without much hassle after a bit in the manga.

Though, I will agree, I'm upset that certain characters did not make it into the anime, such as George (then again he doesn't have a huge role in the manga either). And of course, the animation is godawful lol.
osakaghoul

Post by osakaghoul »

Wolpard wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 pm Nice review! Just watched it.

Its interesting you point out the changes from the mange to anime to be one of the flaws. I actually think the anime was a bit better at telling the story and managing the characters. For example, I think Jerome's death was really emotional in the anime and while he is important in the Russian arc I do kinda wish at least something similar was done in the manga. Dunno. IIRC he is kinda just let back into the pack without much hassle after a bit in the manga.

Though, I will agree, I'm upset that certain characters did not make it into the anime, such as George (then again he doesn't have a huge role in the manga either). And of course, the animation is godawful lol.
What do you think of the concept of remaking the anime if they ever decided to adapt the whole manga into a lengthy (3-4 season series) or should it just go Blue Exorcist route and sort of ignore the first season and carry on after hougen arc.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

osakaghoul wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:30 pm
Wolpard wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 pm Nice review! Just watched it.

What do you think of the concept of remaking the anime if they ever decided to adapt the whole manga into a lengthy (3-4 season series) or should it just go Blue Exorcist route and sort of ignore the first season and carry on after hougen arc.
I'd personally love a remake of both the GDW and GNG anime. If anything new were to come out I'd like them to start from the very beginning honestly. GDW especially could do for a cosmetic update at least. GNG more so story elements.
osakaghoul

Post by osakaghoul »

But i think GNG is pretty perfect already, i don' think there is need to redo it unless you wanna adapt wolf arc.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

osakaghoul wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:23 pm But i think GNG is pretty perfect already, i don' think there is need to redo it unless you wanna adapt wolf arc.
I personally think there could be some fixes with the sexism, the weird tonal shift (I get that this happened because Yoshi originally wanted to write something different and the publishers changed his course, but I feel that could have been adjusted in the anime a bit), and fleshing out characters more. I think one of the biggest issues with the GNG anime is that its short but has so many characters that it kinda struggles with properly dealing with them. Its slightly better in the manga because there's a bit more time to deal with characters so I think the anime should have shifted some story elements to work better in its format.

Personally I will always be bitter that Cross was tossed aside just to get pregnant in the middle of a war. I would have liked to see her fight alongside everyone else but I guess she's female so she should just have puppies instead. Seriously Ben, wait till after the war to get horny.

In contrast, while I'm sad that some characters didn't make it into the GDW anime, I do think the changes they did worked well with the episode count they had to work with. I would have liked to see the drama between Tesshin and the Ohu army (I do think it makes Tesshin a more interesting character), but again with the episode count it wouldn't have worked if they shoved that in. Along with all the stuff with the human characters because while it would have been nice to see Daisuke and Hidetoshi, I do think a lot of the human stuff in later Ginga feels awkward.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”