Differences in manga and anime

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Differences in manga and anime

Post by methpring »

I decided to make this topic, because there are misunderstandings due to the fact that not everyone have seen both manga and anime. In GDW's case, anime version is adapted from the manga, and there are many scene and character changes. As manga is the original version, it seems good idea to spread the knowledge about it.

Because majority have only seen anime version, I'll list changes in a form of anime episodes. Due to the lenght of the text, I'll put some in spoiler tags.

Feel free to ask, commet and correct!

Episode 1
- in manga, Sakura leaves Ohu when Lucy, Terry's widow, gets jealous of Sakura's happiness and tricks her to believe that Gin has been deadly injured.
- in manga, only Weed and GB are present when Sakura dies. It is said to happen before summer starts.
- in manga, Weed and GB visit Smith in his human house, but he doesn't go with them.
- in manga, Weed doesn't do the battouga at the guard dog.

Episode 2
- in manga, only Weed and GB travel together.
- in manga, when helping Mel, Mel's mother is also present. When Blue is dealt with, Mel stays with his mother.

Episode 3
- in manga, Weed and GB arrive to Ohu together. It is said to be end of September.
- in manga, Ken and Kagetora are enemies at first.
- in manga, Tokimune is shot by Hidetoshi.
- in manga, dogs learn about Kaibutsu only after Tokimune dies and Ken leads everyone to Gajou.
- in manga, Weed is treated from shotgun wounds by Hidetoshi and Daisuke.
- in manga, Ken and Kagetora meet Smith and Mel at the rock where Riki once gathered his army.

Episode 4
- in manga, snow starts to fall when Weed and others follows Jerome to the ravine. The snowstorm continues for the rest of the Kaibutsu arc.
- in manga, North's head is tossed out of Gajou.
- in manga, Ken and Kagetora follow Weed inside Gajou.
- in manga, Smith survives from the rockslide, but dies soon after he speaks his last words. His body is left inside Gajou.

Episode 5
- in manga, the helicopter doesn't appear.
- in manga, Daisuke and Hidetoshi arrive to witness battle against Kaibutsu.
- in manga, it is Ken's attack that makes Kaibutsu fall into the ravine.

Episode 6
SPOILER
Episode 7
- in manga, Rocket doesn't infiltrate in Weed's pack.
- in manga, Jerome doesn't teach Weed how to fight.
- in manga, it's Missile who kidnaps Weed. And this happens fast; Rocket, Missile and Jet spot Weed's pack, Missile rushes in and snatches Weed.

Episode 8
- in manga, Sasuke distracts guard dogs while Hook brings snow to drink for Gin, John and Hiro.
- in manga, Rocket is able to lift Weed and GB off the tree branch, and doesn't fall himself.

Episode 9
- in manga, Sasuke is with Hook watching John's battle.
- in manga, John doesn't lose his fang.
- in manga, Hougen bites John's hanging bowl and starts to pull it out of John's body. John bites his own bowl off, and it slams into Hougen's face.
- in manga, only Weed, Hook and Sasuke are present when John dies. In the fake victory scene they create for John, Hook plays Akame, and Sasuke howls to mark the victory of Ohu's army.
- in manga, Weed's pack arrive after John is dead, and as Sasuke recognizes Rocket, Hook tells him that his brothers are dead.

Episode 10
- in manga, John's body is left in the snow, where wandering, blind Ben finds it. He doesn't recongnize John, but still carries him to his former owner to bury.
- in manga, Hiro awakes in a shed, guarded by Reika. Weed and other arrive, and they mourn their losses, howling into a snowstorm.
- in manga, Reika and Hook don't leave to Ohu.
- in manga, it is winter when Ken and Kagetora meet Kurotora. Jouji is with them. Ben and Cross are not present.
- in manga, Reika comes to comfort injured Teru.

Episode 11
- no big differences.

Episode 12
- no big differences.

Episode 13
- in manga, the dogs that Mel meets are not Genba's minions.
- in manga, Ben and Cross arrive alone to Ohu.
- in manga, meeting with Tesshin is hostile. Tesshin has left Ohu, because Murder S lied to him that Ohu dogs killed his father, Kurojaki. Weed and Jerome fight against Tesshin and Kogas in undergroung hideout. During this, the reason for Sakura's leaving from Ohu and the meaning of Smith's last words is revealed. In the end, Tesshin stays in Koga.
- in manga, Genba sents three messengers to tell Kurotora and others to leave Gajou. They refuse, and fight the messengers off.

Episode 14
SPOILER
Episode 15
- in manga, Mole delivers Gin's message to Weed.
- in manga, Weed manages to cut off tree branch on his first try.
- in manga, Hougen and Kamakiri don't fight. Instead, Murder S fights for Hougen and Stone for Kamakiri. Murder S kills Stone with his metal back legs.
- in manga, Tesshin removes the bullets from Jerome's leg.

Episode 16
SPOILER
Episode 17
SPOILER
Episode 18
- in manga, Genba wets himself and drinks his own urine, and Hougen kills him.

Episode 19
- in manga, Hougen doesn't attack Kamakiri.
- in manga, Ohu army's hideout is in a cave.
- in manga, there isn't John's fang to mourn.
- in manga, GB doesn't bump into Hougen's minions.

Episode 20
- in manga, Weed howls his challenge to Hougen into the morning sky.
- in manga, Hougen howls his defiance, splits his pack into five, and leaves to search Ohu's army.
- in manga, Tesshin and Rocket spy for Hougen's army.
- in manga Weed takes with him Jerome, Ron, Rocket, Akame, Tesshin, Ken, Kagetora, Jouji, Shigure, Nobutora, Harutora, Kisaragi's six sons (wounded Izou stays behind), and Kouga dogs. Whole unit, including Weed, consists 25 dogs.

Episode 21
SPOILER
Episode 22
SPOILER
Episodes 23-26 (there are so many differences in these, so I pile them together)
SPOILER

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Findog
Potential
Potential

Re: Differences in manga and anime

Post by Findog »

It would be great to see this about also GNG manga and anime, although there are not so much differences like in GDW.
Ginga forever! <3
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Aren't Ken and Kagetora also enemies in the anime? That's how I remember it. I might be wrong, I don't know.
Have a nice day!
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:57 am Aren't Ken and Kagetora also enemies in the anime? That's how I remember it. I might be wrong, I don't know.
They aren't, they are very much allies when they are introduced in the series.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

YamaDora wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:07 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:57 am Aren't Ken and Kagetora also enemies in the anime? That's how I remember it. I might be wrong, I don't know.
They aren't, they are very much allies when they are introduced in the series.
Really? Oh well, I just remember it differently. I guess this gives me an excuse to rewatch GDW;)
Have a nice day!
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

There maybe alot of differences between the anime and manga but I do think some scenes in the manga are mirrored in the anime.

When Hougen attacks all the dogs coming at him at the edge of the cliff and basically throws them all off, I think that is reflected in the scene in the anime where he arrives back at Gajou and starts attacking and killing random dogs which results in the death of Ryu.

Sniper's metal legs are given to Kite as they are revealed when he fights Tesshin, who indeed fights Sniper at Gajou.

This one is a bit farfetched and could be just coincidence but when the reason Yukimura indeed ends up dying is that he is impaled by a tree branch by Shogun and in the anime, John mainly dies as he is impaled by a tree branch by Hougen. And of course, both Yukimura and John both pull the branches out of themselves!
Do you think the people behind the anime may have gotten inspiration from this?
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”