GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Pupis

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by Pupis »

Digsu wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:02 am
Pupis wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:05 am I haven't read the manga but how Smith lost Sakura? Was it when he saved GB?
The entire sequence was quite different from how it was in the anime.
SPOILER
Thank you very much!! And wow in the manga the situation was different, it's interesting the differences in both :tfw_sirius3:
MamaSoulWeaver

Post by MamaSoulWeaver »

Anyone know where to read the GDW manga? Preferably on an app or safe website. I found apps, but they have only up to chapter 184.
I love the gng & gdw animes! Toube is best boy. Constantly depressed over the lack of english content for ginga.
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

MamaSoulWeaver wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:31 am Anyone know where to read the GDW manga? Preferably on an app or safe website. I found apps, but they have only up to chapter 184.
1. GDW has not been fully scanlated into English anywhere.
2. More information on scanlations are in parts of the forum you don't have access to yet. Please read this post: https://gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4120
Image Image
Nao_Naka

Post by Nao_Naka »

Hi! What arc would follow the Hybrid arc? I have no knowledge of the manga (only watched the anime) and I'm compiling everything in English I can, to read it together. I heard it's the "final" arc but I'm a bit lost...
Also, I know the manga and anime are different but would be okay to watch the anime again and then read the manga from there or just read the manga from the beginning? I know there're lots of changes in the anime ;-;
Tetrafuse-Sama12

Post by Tetrafuse-Sama12 »

Hi im new here so I dont know where else to post this. :derpgin:
So does anyone know where one could find Ginga Densetsu Weed (Mangas) Russian Arch (Volumes 37 - 51) Translated in English?
I know that FantaChans Blog Spot had them once but now they are removed. I really wanna continue to read the story after the epic and sad conclusion of the Monkey Arc. And I cannot do so without being able to understand them thara why I need them in English. Also the Hybrid Arc (if translated) would be much appreciated :D
:P4:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I suppose it doesn't matter if I submit this post here or in the GNG questions thread.

I just want to get an idea or a confirmation on where exactly Futago Pass is located within the Ou Mountains in the series. I know Futago Pass is in Akita Prefecture, but is it located near Higashinaruse? Which is where Takahashi was born in real life and maybe where Daisuke was born in the series? In other words, is Futago Pass located near the borders to Iwate and Miyagi Prefectures?
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Spirit Tree wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:39 pm I suppose it doesn't matter if I submit this post here or in the GNG questions thread.

I just want to get an idea or a confirmation on where exactly Futago Pass is located within the Ou Mountains in the series. I know Futago Pass is in Akita Prefecture, but is it located near Higashinaruse? Which is where Takahashi was born in real life and maybe where Daisuke was born in the series? In other words, is Futago Pass located near the borders to Iwate and Miyagi Prefectures?
In TLW volume 1, it's said that Monsoon could see Komagatake, which is a real mountain, from his home in Shirakami and that Futago Pass was "about 100 kilometers further away from it". Since Shirakami is to the northwest from Komagatake, that should mean that Futago Pass is somewhere about 100 kilometers/62 miles southeast from Komagatake.

...or that's what it says at least, but if you actually go 100 kilometers southeast of Komagatake you end up on the coast of Iwate.

On the other hand, GDW 2 shows Komagatake seemingly much closer to Futago Pass. Not only that, but we see them from the south and Futago Pass is to the left of Komagatake, so it should be west of the mountain.

On the other other hand, GDW 2 also shows this map where Futago Pass appears to be somewhere in southeastern Akita, which is much further south that Komagatake is in real life.

This does seem to correspond with another map shown in GDW 30 as well as the maps at the start of most GDWO volumes (though it is much harder to tell because those maps don't show the borders between prefectures).

Conclusion: It's a bit inconsistent (but what isn't in Ginga?), but Futago Pass appears to be somewhere on southeastern Akita. :tfw_sirius3:

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Digsu wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:45 pm
Spirit Tree wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:39 pm I suppose it doesn't matter if I submit this post here or in the GNG questions thread.

In TLW volume 1, it's said that Monsoon could see Komagatake, which is a real mountain, from his home in Shirakami and that Futago Pass was "about 100 kilometers further away from it". Since Shirakami is to the northwest from Komagatake, that should mean that Futago Pass is somewhere about 100 kilometers/62 miles southeast from Komagatake.

...or that's what it says at least, but if you actually go 100 kilometers southeast of Komagatake you end up on the coast of Iwate.

On the other hand, GDW 2 shows Komagatake seemingly much closer to Futago Pass. Not only that, but we see them from the south and Futago Pass is to the left of Komagatake, so it should be west of the mountain.

On the other other hand, GDW 2 also shows this map where Futago Pass appears to be somewhere in southeastern Akita, which is much further south that Komagatake is in real life.

This does seem to correspond with another map shown in GDW 30 as well as the maps at the start of most GDWO volumes (though it is much harder to tell because those maps don't show the borders between prefectures).

Conclusion: It's a bit inconsistent (but what isn't in Ginga?), but Futago Pass appears to be somewhere on southeastern Akita. :tfw_sirius3:
Thank you for the info!

Southeastern Akita was also my initial guess, which is also where Higashinaruse is located. But now I do get the inconsistency on precise locations in Ginga as much as I do with the inconsistency of the timelines. They're both definitely the same. LOL

I'll go with southeastern Akita as the answer, then. I just wanted to make sure I calculate the location correctly since I'm working on my GDN AU fanfiction. Glad I'm not the only one with that answer. Thank you again!
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I have another question about locations.

I know that GB's death and Sakura's death take place in the Northern Alps (also known as Hida Mountains). But I can't recall if the manga has ever specified which prefecture they took place. The Northern Alps stretches through Toyama, Nagano, Gifu, and a partial part of Niigata. But has the manga ever said which prefecture they both took place?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Spirit Tree wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:12 am I have another question about locations.

I know that GB's death and Sakura's death take place in the Northern Alps (also known as Hida Mountains). But I can't recall if the manga has ever specified which prefecture they took place. The Northern Alps stretches through Toyama, Nagano, Gifu, and a partial part of Niigata. But has the manga ever said which prefecture they both took place?
I don't think it's ever said. However, Meishobu Retsuden suggests Sakura probably died in Gifu, given that GB and Weed run into Lenny near Toyota, Aichi prefecture when heading towards Ohu, and Gifu is the closest to Aichi.
Unless GB and Weed got horribly lost during the first leg of their journey, it's probably safe to say they set off from Gifu or possibly Nagano.

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Digsu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:59 pm
Spirit Tree wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:12 am I have another question about locations.

I don't think it's ever said. However, Meishobu Retsuden suggests Sakura probably died in Gifu, given that GB and Weed run into Lenny near Toyota, Aichi prefecture when heading towards Ohu, and Gifu is the closest to Aichi.
Unless GB and Weed got horribly lost during the first leg of their journey, it's probably safe to say they set off from Gifu or possibly Nagano.
Very well. If Lenny's first appearance was in Toyota, Aichi Prefecture, then I'm gonna guess Gifu Prefecture. Nagano makes a little less sense to me because that is a little closer to Futago Pass but further away from where Lenny is introduced.

And also the fact that Weed left Koyuki and Kotetsu near the place where Sakura died before going to Hokkaido, Gifu Prefecture is also my guess on the location where GB died. Unless the battle with Joe against the Hybrid Bears actually takes place further away. Like in Nagano Prefecture, because that's my next best guess on that one.

Thank you for the answer, by the way!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Okay, another question that relates to my previous one.

The dam that the Final Hybrid Bear died in...if the manga says the name of it, what is the dam's name? Also asking because there hasn't been any English translation around that part of the Hybrid arc. So I can't read it.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Spirit Tree wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:01 am Okay, another question that relates to my previous one.

The dam that the Final Hybrid Bear died in...if the manga says the name of it, what is the dam's name? Also asking because there hasn't been any English translation around that part of the Hybrid arc. So I can't read it.
Not as far as I could find. The closest I could find was the newspaper mentioning that the hybrid's body was retrieved from the dam, which just calls it "a dam in the Northern Alps" (北アルプスのダム).

Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Digsu wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:59 pm
Spirit Tree wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:01 am Okay, another question that relates to my previous one.

Not as far as I could find. The closest I could find was the newspaper mentioning that the hybrid's body was retrieved from the dam, which just calls it "a dam in the Northern Alps" (北アルプスのダム).

Okay, then I assume that the dam is either nameless (at least unknown in real-life) or probably a fictional dam in the Northern Alps. Thanks for the answer!
Meetu

Post by Meetu »

does someone have the GDW russian arc in english i want to read it?
Nao_Naka

Post by Nao_Naka »

Does anyone know if Fanta is still working on the re-upload of the Russian Arc?
The monkey arc is available on Fanta's blog but there hasn't been an update since Nov 2022.
Or if someone has the old scans Fanta did, please share it ;-;
At this point I don't care if the old translation was bad as long as I can read it.
MasterOfCider
Recruit
Recruit

Post by MasterOfCider »

Nao_Naka wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:50 pm Does anyone know if Fanta is still working on the re-upload of the Russian Arc?
The monkey arc is available on Fanta's blog but there hasn't been an update since Nov 2022.
At this point I don't care if the old translation was bad as long as I can read it.
I could be wrong, but I thought Fanta was completely done translating.
"Satan takes me to the pasta."
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Meetu wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:35 pm does someone have the GDW russian arc in english i want to read it?
Nao_Naka wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:50 pm Does anyone know if Fanta is still working on the re-upload of the Russian Arc?
MasterOfCider wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:51 am
I could be wrong, but I thought Fanta was completely done translating.
Fanta is retired from translating. However, she recently posted an update on her blog, saying that she's still working on retranslating the Russian arc. If I remember correctly, I think she's also retranslating TLW. After that, she should be completely done with translating.
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

What chapter does Hougen die?
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

4townie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:59 am What chapter does Hougen die?
I don't remember the chapter number. But he dies at the very beginning of Volume 30.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”